Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.04.24, 03:28 AM   #1
BovineD

New to MiniZ! Some questions....

Hello to all you MiniZ fans! I am glad to finally be a real participant on this site as opposed to drooling on the sidelines over these awesome cars. My local Hobby(crap)town finally got in some MiniZs and I got myself a Blue Altezza and ran it for all of 10 minutes, spinning out on the linoleum, before hop ups began calling out to me....

Went back to the Snobbytown USA store and picked up:

Set of Ball Bearings
Roll Shock Set
Blue lock nuts
Front Altezza bumper (from that towers place)

Proceeded to strip both top screws for the shocks but recovered with some drilling and screw searching and installed the front bearings, lock nuts and bumper.

My questions now are what would be the next best things to buy to improve then handling and suspension? The ride is still a little rough although it is not spinning out as bad but still enough to suck.

Should I install the rear bearings on the stock diff or get a new diff then install the rear bearings and if so which is the best one to get? Does a different material I (or H...) bar make that big of a difference?

Also, I was looking at getting a rear damper/suspension kit. What are the differences between this style:

Mega tech Spring Shock & Plate

and this one:

Mega tech Aluminum Adj Shock/Dampener Mount

Also, does anyone know what size rear spoiler the Altezza uses?

Most important however....does ANYONE know where I can buy the Blue Skyline body? Is that an older one that has been discontinued or something? I cant find one anywhere and the Calsonic Skyline has too many decals on it for my taste.

Sorry for the NOOBness but I appreciate any feedback to these inquiries above.

Thanks a bunch people....

BovineD

Last edited by BovineD; 2003.04.24 at 03:30 AM.
BovineD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.24, 03:41 AM   #2
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

All of your hop-ups can be helped with new TIRES...the ones that come stock suck so bad! The stock ones are 50 hardness...you can buy softer ones. A good combo is 15's on the back and 20's on the front. You will stick like glue without spinning out...and thats with stock parts.
Old 2003.04.24, 03:45 AM   #3
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

Oh yea, I forgot...Welcome to the forums! This place is where you can not only get great info from really helpful people, but also find almost any part you need (with super quick shipping and decent prices).

This is the parts I think are the best for the mini-z and in the order I think is most important.

Tires (soft ones)
Bearings
Ball Diff (ceramic balls)
0-plate...the thin one.
Turbo
Fast motor
Lock nuts

That set-up will kick butt right there...the rest is 'eye-candy' in my humble opinion

I like eye-candy!

cheers,
Pianoman
Old 2003.04.24, 03:50 AM   #4
BovineD

Hey thanks for the info and warm welcome Pianoman!

In looking for tires, what widths are available and what size do the stock rims accomodate? Also the ratings i normally see are generic "soft" "medium" and "hard" types without the number rating. Then of course compounds, V-tread and foam types as well. What would you recommend for linoleum and commercial "low pile" (I am guessing that is what they refer to that short nonexistent carpet that you find in most commercial workplaces) carpet?

Jumping around here, does anyone know if the Palm Runner (ya know the clone of the low end of the real miniZ) bodies fit the real MiniZ chassis? I hate to taint my new baby with that retched piece of garbage, but it may be the only way I can get a Skyline body on my MiniZ. I saw them at the Great Mall in a generico toy clones store and they were 24.99 I believe, and looking at the bodies, they seemed to have pretty nice detail though not near the quality and detail of a real Kyosho. Just wondering if anyone has tried those bodies.

Again thanks for any help!

BovineD

Last edited by BovineD; 2003.04.24 at 04:40 AM.
Old 2003.04.24, 06:52 AM   #5
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Answers

BovineD

Tire combos depend on the surfaces you are running on.
On my CLK, I use foams all round, soft on the rear and harder foams up front.
The shop here has some GPM foams, I have a few sets but haven't got around to fitting them yet, as the tires on the Racer are still in good condition.
Most Members tend to use harder fronts and softer rears, this produces a little understeer, which sure beats oversteer that is the main cause of spinouts.
As for rubber tires, there are some good compunds out there, they can be a little hard to find, like the sticky Pit Shimuzu tires, only available in narrow. Kyosho's soft tires are quite good too.

Regarding your second question, yes the Palm Runners use the same AutoScale bodyshells as the Mini-Z Racers, so they are compatible.
If your looking for another bodyshell, consider just buying an AutoScale bodyshell. The shop here has some neat ones and Dranconius also sellls bodyshells.

Talking of bodyshells, there are certain bodyshells that improve handling, these are the CLK DTM, Ferrari F40 and Honda NSX-R to name a few. Mainly long wheelbase bodyshells with a low roof height and faily wide.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.24, 10:56 AM   #6
mini-z
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums BovineD! Your stock wheels will accomodate 8.5-9.5mm tires. For your surface, I recommend:

Front:
http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=475
Rear:
http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=474

The Palm Runners you refer to - be very careful - Mondo is referring to the real Kyosho Palm Runner, while it sounds like the ones you are talking about are the fake "Tokoro" clones. Avoid them at all cost!

Also, you mention Megatech parts - also avoid these at all cost (pun implied). Megatech is just GPM, anodized purple and with the price doubled or quadrupled. For example:

Megatech Mounted Triple Shock Set: $86.99

Our Price:
GPM Alloy Adjustable Damper + Plate + Damper Mount - 3PCS: $47.99
http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=33

Megatech Aluminum Front Lower Mount Low .8: $29.88

Our Price:
GPM Alloy Front Lower Mount (Low-Ride 0.8mm): $14.99
http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=63

Enjoy your new Mini-Z, and don't be afraid to ask questions, or search the FAQ and Beginner sections for answers!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.24, 12:06 PM   #7
BovineD

Thanks for the info Mondo and Admin!

Yeah I know that the Power Runner is a cheap knock off of the Palm Runner which is the low end version of the real thing, its just that is the only thing that I can buy that has the Blue Skyline body...

If somebody still sold the autoscale original Blue Skyline, trust me, that would be the first thing I would have bought but nobody has these....

Hey Dranconius don't know if you read all the boards but do you happen to have one???

Also thanks for the info regarding the GPM parts! Purple ano sure looks cool but I actually like the look of the GPM parts too. Again, my local Crappytown USA barely carries anything worth buying so perhaps I will buy my parts from here instead. Hows the shipping costs? I am in Ca, in the US.

Thanks again!
Old 2003.04.25, 12:27 AM   #8
herman

bovined...

need i say more?... looks like all the guys answered your questions for you...

the most overlooked and cheapest hop up i've heard is called practice (heard that from the gray ghost... aka bob.t) but next to that are the tires.... pianoman pointed that out...

the minizracer.com shop services orders worldwide... i'm sure that shipping costs wont be too much...

welcome to the forums...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.25, 12:49 AM   #9
minizmaniac
mini z maniac

Send a message via AIM to minizmaniac
welcome to the hobby/obsession, and the fourms. for the your first upgrades you should get tires, and an o-plate, i also have the altezza and what i did to make it not flip too easily was buy wide rims and then just widen the back of the car with a little epoxy putty. in regard to spoilers use either scraps of plastic you have lying around, the thin plastic that comes on the box when you buy the car (the stuff you look in to and so you can see the car) and glue it together with epoxy. then you can either hot glue or epoxy the spoiler down to the car, i personally epoxy mine down and rip them off with a little force, and make a new one (in a span of about 3 months ive gone through at least 3 spoilers and many different decals/paint
minizmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.28, 03:39 AM   #10
BovineD

Thanks for the info guys, this is one of the most knowlegeable boards around.

I am so sick of my blobbytown USA so I think I will get some new tires and a rear damper and an O plate from somewhere online then see what get as I already see a big difference with the BBs and roll shock set. The ball/gear diff will have to wait I guess.

I just love how these parts actually effect the performance! I think thats one of the best parts of this MiniZ hobby.

Now that I ordered a micro RS4 (skyline of course!) kit I will have to take time in considering the hop ups I get for each car, but guess thats why we work boring jobs....to make cash to pay for frivolous activities!

Thanks again for all the help and especially to Draconious.....You have a Skyline body!!! Anyone buy one of these shells from Drac yet? Are they the actual Kyosho shells or knockoffs? I have no reason but to believe they are give draconious' rep....
Old 2003.04.28, 07:30 AM   #11
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

If you are looking for parts online, start here. They have great service and very fast shipping. The best part is that if you don't see what you want, just ask and they will find it for you if it is available . I have bought from this site and will definitely do it again.
PAULANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.28, 02:10 PM   #12
herman

Quote:
Originally posted by BovineD
Now that I ordered a micro RS4 (skyline of course!) kit I will have to take time in considering the hop ups I get for each car...
you have to read the "hpi micro rs4 rocks" thread lots of info right there... a bit long... some 50++ pages, but worth the read...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.28, 04:24 PM   #13
rcer4life

Send a message via AIM to rcer4life
hey BovineD its me hunter
where do u live
hunter
rcer4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.28, 06:39 PM   #14
BovineD

Thanks for the info, I have been looking around for good Micro RS4 info and lo and behold its right here in the miniZ forums! going through it a bit at a time right now...

Hey Hunter I live/work in the Fremont/UnionCity/Newark area but am moving to Tracy in acouple of months....you somewhere close??

Last edited by BovineD; 2003.04.28 at 06:42 PM.
Old 2003.04.28, 07:05 PM   #15
rcer4life

Send a message via AIM to rcer4life
Do you live in New Jersey or New York??
hunter
rcer4life is offline   Reply With Quote