Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.10.18, 12:43 PM   #61
fastmax
RCP Me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
If this info is correct:
The cars are distributed by RadioShack in the United States, by Hobby Products International (HPI Racing) in Japan and by Carson Modellsport (Subdivision of Tamiya Germany) in Europe.
Very interesting.
Goodrich RC Club
fastmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.18, 09:24 PM   #62
imxlr8ed

Just picked one up, has made in China all over it.

First impressions, unboxing is a fun process... the genuine asian twine is tough stuff! After nearly severing an artery (always cut away from yourselves kiddies!) I got it all out of the box. First thing I noticed it has a solid rear axle, either that or it's completely binded up! Not looking too good so far. I had a crack in the right rear fenderwell. Don't know how, don't really care eithet because my intention is to bash with it. Read the manual and the controller trim settings seem ridiculous already... There is no trim knob! Apparently I have to shut off the controller then go through some scenario to get to the trim.

Anyways... gonna drive it in a bit if I can find a nine volt for the controller!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.18, 10:42 PM   #63
imxlr8ed

Ok, just got around the track a few times after dismantling a smoke detector for a working 9 volt. Here's what I got.

So I sit down and try to forget that I have a 1/4 of my lifetime invested in MiniZs (tough to do, but possible), the pairing is simple enough. Big buttons and blinking lights to tell you if you're a complete idiot or not. Luckily the trim seemed to be "straight" right off the bat. So I hit it down the straight, good initial hit off the line but within a split second it tops out. First corner, hit the right and promptly sticks into the rail.
Touchy... Extremely touchy! Not only that but right hand turns seem to have no real curve to them other than in the positives, left handers were do-able but still touchy. The springs in the controller are very tight... If I had a ten minute main with this radio, I'd need to uncramp my hand afterwards.
So, I try to adapt to it and go a little lighter on the wheel... It gets around, but we're definitely a few miles away from anything hobbby grade. Now this is all with stock tires, no tuning or tweaking and running with that monster toe-in from stock so I'll give it a chance and say that it could be helped?... Maybe?

The lack of anything like a diff in the rear makes the cornering very geometric, there's no glide to it whatsoever. There was a bit of popping and grinding to let you know you were in the process of cornering though. The car is noisey, bit like a dustbuster, total toy noise. Kinda reminds me of the RC car I bought my two year old son.

In it's stock form, it's a toy, a basher, a thing that screams for any kind of help to get an inch further away from it's juvenile engineering. I can easily picture an aftermarket willing to get it there too but I get the feeling that it's so close to toy level that buyers won't even bother trying to take it to the next level. Plus, the brand is missing it's real car looks. Gone will be the kid who dreams of owning a cool Mustang, Skyline or Corvette, instead he'll be holding his new Xmod trying to figure out what the hell he's looking at! I think I have some generic version of an HSV?

Anyways, it seems like a good basher. I crashed it into some stuff laying around and it plowed right through with no breakage. It turns better than the Gen 1s, no need for little resistor replacements. It drives like a toy, sounds like a toy, looks like a toy... but aren't they all? It's gonna take a lot of tweak time and aftermarket to get this close to hobby grade status, by then... Shoulda just got an old AM Z or even a Firelap!

The rest of my crew will get their shot at it this Sunday, we'll see how it goes.

Oh, and I ripped apart the controller in the first 5 minutes to stretch the springs on the controls to make them a bit more tolerable... Be careful not to overstretch them!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2013.10.19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2013.10.18, 10:47 PM   #64
imxlr8ed

Oh, this test run was on an RCP. Should be less jerky on wood or carpet or concrete... probably why they have so much toe-in on the thing!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2013.10.19, 08:48 AM   #65
yamar6

parts are coming hopefully it gets batter it does need bearings a lot of friction when u take the motor out and roll it
yamar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.19, 10:12 AM   #66
imxlr8ed

For dedicated RC racers though, I fear that the major holdup on this will be the radio. Doesn't seem like there is much you can do with it other than deal with it. Would be a real serious upgade if you could get it to talk to a FlySky controller or something like that!

I'm really curious as to how a company can put out a car like this and seemingly have no input whatsoever from anyone who has ever driven anything like a half-serious RC chassis. They had to have someone test with it, right?... they had to make a call to somebody who could offer an honest opinion as to how it functions, right?

Honestly, I kinda dig the setup going on here as far as having modular chassis, I've had designs like this on my mind for a while... something that could have a custom-fit lipo. Actually, I was thinking more of using the lipo as the chassis itself (full integration) but we are a long while away from that!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2013.10.20, 02:26 AM   #67
yamar6

im trying to talk to the guy who is in charge of xmods and tell him about the radio hopefully they will change it.flysky makes one now for the mini Q it will fit no problem just have to find out how to hook the servo wires to the board.
Old 2013.10.20, 08:40 AM   #68
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
why not a formal interview segment that can be shared on various sites? i would be interested to know the backstory and process by which it gets pitched, prototyped and final production.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.20, 09:41 PM   #69
yamar6

it needs a better radio less plastic around the motor and tons of hop ups.
Old 2013.10.29, 04:03 PM   #70
targetingxmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamar6 View Post
it needs a better radio less plastic around the motor and tons of hop ups.
That by itslef is the older generations.
That's the only good thing about it was personalization even in stock form, and with aftermarket and hobby grade electrics it is a great entry on the micro RC world!

The new ones with no lock nuts on rims and extra tires (using miniz ones) and no separated geared diff's in my opion it's a joke....like many people think about stock xmods!

If you spent about 6 months of work on a xmod including cuting and sanding, with 100%aftermakert chassis or at least on the right spots with miniz/losi micro electrics they are a real RC's.
It doesn't matter what other people think... because i know that they run xmods stock and make smiles when people say xmods could be better then miniz's!
This theme is very debated and old....

But a simple gen2 (evo) xmods with this setup for carpet racing:
-Miniz AWD ASF 2.4ghz feted (4*4562 or 4*8858)
-Ceramic bearings
-Carbon fiber central shaft
-GPM front and rear knuckles
-GPM dogbones and the cup for them front and rear
-4x4
-almost locked front diff (high viscosity grease in there)
-almost open rear diff (1:1 normal grease inside)
-Lexan body like the BMW's from Carson
-Stock motor on a Ball Bearing can with Neo Mags and a silver brush on the red brush
-Front 15º to 20º miniz tires
-Rear 10º or less miniz tires
-Front blue hard springs
-Yellow medium springs Rear
-A good set up AAA's like the R1wurks
-Big fat cables wired to the power source and to the motor
-Dropped body to the max without rubbing on tires

It can sure make an hard day of any stock Mr03

But someone is trying to make already an aftermakert chassis:
http://www.atomicmods.com/product-p/15675.htm

Maybe GPM take care of the rims/tires!

Last edited by targetingxmod; 2013.10.29 at 04:29 PM.
targetingxmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.29, 04:09 PM   #71
F_Zero
Carbon Fiber

Cool Ideas.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/jin8-albums.html
F_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.29, 04:38 PM   #72
targetingxmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_Zero View Post

-That is a full GPM and Li-ON xmod with big fat cables... there is a big fail in there... it's using the xmods board which is junk compared to all that alloy. And rims should be alloy and miniz tires to! But is a good looking one!

This ones are more raceble on carpet tracks:

-Losi Micro board and 7.4v lipo.

-Miniz AWD ASF board with 6.6v life power!

-Miniz AM 27mhz board and 6.6v life power!

Making them a bucket full of alloy is easy... making then ready to race on tracks with all the wiring envolved of the servos and boards is another story! But well rewarded!

An example of how to do on a gen1:

-This pic speaks for itself

Last edited by targetingxmod; 2013.10.29 at 04:44 PM.
targetingxmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.29, 06:21 PM   #73
yamar6

now hobby king is selling one with flysky esc so that will be a cheap esc to put in a xmod....Also i can't believe another company did not make the xmod again im asking red cat to see if they will come out with it with a nice 2.4

Last edited by yamar6; 2013.10.29 at 06:24 PM.
Old 2013.10.29, 09:31 PM   #74
imxlr8ed

I'd buy a Redcat 1/24th on-road. The Sumo I just bought is actually good quality design and has a really nice radio and board for the price. Surprised they didn't try to go into an on-road version right away.

And if they need a designer... I'm willing, for the right price!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2013.10.29, 10:19 PM   #75
yamar6

i'm going to call them Thursday i would like to see the evo chassis with the new xmod suspension and better palstic the only thing the evo needed was the front end like the new xmod there is no way it will twist
Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed View Post
I'd buy a Redcat 1/24th on-road. The Sumo I just bought is actually good quality design and has a really nice radio and board for the price. Surprised they didn't try to go into an on-road version right away.

And if they need a designer... I'm willing, for the right price!