Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.10.09, 07:09 PM   #1
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Enzo vs Heat Gun

So, I am repainting the enzo for the third time, and this time I did a complete strip (in a tub of mean green degreaser), got several coats of silver on it (over the course of a day), and proceeded to put a clear coat on it the next morning. After every coat, I was using a heat gun, very carefully, to dry it. On the first clear coat I apparently lingered too long in one spot with the heat gun...it shouldn't be too hard to guess where I over-did it. Suffice it to say the enzo will not be returning for the next DC GTG. It's times like these when I am reminded of the Demotivators calendar entry for Mistakes: "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enzo_vs_heatgun1.jpg (33.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg enzo_vs_heatgun2.jpg (48.2 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by soyverde; 2005.10.09 at 07:12 PM.
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.09, 07:21 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
sorry to hear it...
hair dryer is much safer

what will you run next weekend? i have some loaners if your short...
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.09, 07:21 PM   #3
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Pity, look's like a wrecked exotic. I did have a thread in Custom Bodies called "Paint Goofs" that that would be a perfect entry for.
Old 2005.10.09, 08:30 PM   #4
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

arch2b: I was going to use my wife's hair dryer, but the heat gun was already in the garage, and it worked so well (a lot more heat=a lot more drying ). I knew the risks, though...luckily it was just a white body (~$16), and I got a few races out of it. My only regret is that I have put so much time into it (painting, stripping, etc.). As for what I will race next weekend, I do have other bodies, and I think I just bargained away any Christmas gifts from my wife on an order for a Ford GT Autoscale from the shop this afternoon. In my previous experience with the shop, that will likely come by Wednesday.

HammerZ: I spent the better part of an hour looking for that thread, and simply gave up in the end because I couldn't remember who started it, and I just could not find it (I must have searched a dozen different combinations of terms). No jokes about the newbie who can't use the search function, thank you.
Old 2005.10.09, 08:42 PM   #5
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

It is an old thread anyway.

LinkyLinly

Last edited by HammerZ; 2005.10.09 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Link to thread.
HammerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.10, 02:44 AM   #6
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyverde
So, I am repainting the enzo for the third time, and this time I did a complete strip (in a tub of mean green degreaser), got several coats of silver on it (over the course of a day), and proceeded to put a clear coat on it the next morning. After every coat, I was using a heat gun, very carefully, to dry it. On the first clear coat I apparently lingered too long in one spot with the heat gun...it shouldn't be too hard to guess where I over-did it. Suffice it to say the enzo will not be returning for the next DC GTG. It's times like these when I am reminded of the Demotivators calendar entry for Mistakes: "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."
Ask arch2b if you can have the front of this:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/at...chmentid=13758

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.10, 09:45 AM   #7
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

At least in his case it was not his fault...this was all me. I have also noticed while working with the enzo body (with the windows removed) that it flexes quite a bit in the spot that Arch2b's broke, there just isn't a whole lot of plastic in that area to maintain structural rigidity. Besides, with Arch2b's you can barely tell the break happened from any real distance...mine has much bigger problems (a front clip would not do the trick).
Old 2005.10.10, 10:17 AM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye
Ask arch2b if you can have the front of this:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/at...chmentid=13758

-Byebye
very funny i still have that body if you want to try to jb weld it or something?

there are new white bodies coming out as well..... i hope to be doing a team concept to match my mustang.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.10, 02:06 PM   #9
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyverde
I have also noticed while working with the enzo body (with the windows removed) that it flexes quite a bit in the spot that Arch2b's broke, there just isn't a whole lot of plastic in that area to maintain structural rigidity.
This is why I can't see the Enzo as a hardcore race body, Most of my knock around bodies have way more space from the wheel opening and the windsheild opening. I really don't thonk Kyosho had smacking around on a track in mind when they released the Enzo, Just something that looked pretty on the MR02 chassis when it was first released.
Old 2005.10.10, 05:08 PM   #10
Ken Mifune
2-Z or not 2-Z...

Does it still fit on the chassis? Paint some flames on it. or paint it like a grilled-cheeze sandwich.

Customizing with heat? Stretch out some details.

Last edited by Ken Mifune; 2005.10.10 at 05:11 PM.
Ken Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.11, 08:29 AM   #11
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Mifune
Does it still fit on the chassis? Paint some flames on it. or paint it like a grilled-cheeze sandwich.

Customizing with heat? Stretch out some details.
Heh, not at the moment, it would probably require some serious dremeling. My wife did suggest I try to hit it with the heat gun again to get it back in shape, and while I don't think that's feasible, I could probably melt the windows into it and get it back to the correct length.

I'll just have to keep the fire extinguisher handy.