Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.01.05, 11:48 AM   #1
dameetz

How to get even steering left and right?

How do you guys set your car up to get even steering left and right without reducing the EPA on the radio on 1 side? Usually I always set my car to have full lock to lock steering throw.

I have 2 race cars (Mod brushless and 70t class) with almost identical option parts and set up. Both are MR03 with PN Racing option parts installed. The difference between the 2 are my mod car has PN Multimount ,TDS with Kyosho top shock while my stock car has PN V4 mount, disc dampers and PN top shock. Both use PN double A arm at the front.

Now, the problem I have is both have tighter radius and sensitive when turning left. With my MOD car I get rid of this by adjusting the side shock preload to get a bit of left twist of the motor pod (when looking from the rear, the right side is a bit higher) to get the steering balance I like. On my Stock car which does not have TDS system installed, I cant adjust the motor pod. Is there another way to set up a car to get balance steering?

FYI i m using Kyosho Soft T-plate, i have checked it and it is not tweaked. I also squared my cars using PN set up board to get the motor pod mounted straight on the T-plate.

Thanks in advance for any reply helping me out with this.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.05, 11:54 AM   #2
DMALMAD

The one question I have for you is if it is getting full steering lock both ways. Even if it is does it get to lock faster one way than the other. Basically if the steering balance is improperly set you could be hitting full lock one way only about halfway through turning the when while on the other side you may have to turn the steering wheel all the way to hit full lock. This could make one side turn faster as it is having a greater steering angle quicker than the other side.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.05, 01:05 PM   #3
TheSteve
VE7FM

Pretty much every Mini-Z I have seen is different when it comes to left and right steering throw. It seems to be a bit of a crap shoot with the programming they do on the board when it is built and the steering pot. I used to use EPA to set the max safe steering throw to the right and left - but that generally leaves it uneven. The best bet seems to be to use EPA to set the maximum amount of steering so it matches whichever side has the smaller amount. So one direction will never quite have as much throw as is mechanically possible - but in racing one generally never runs 100% steering. Once that is set up and steering is even right to left then use dual rates to set the amount needed for the track/tire/car package.

I would say about 1 in 10 Mini-Z's are even out of the box, the rest all need EPA tweaking.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.06, 07:35 PM   #4
egonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
How do you guys set your car up to get even steering left and right without reducing the EPA on the radio on 1 side? Usually I always set my car to have full lock to lock steering throw.

I have 2 race cars (Mod brushless and 70t class) with almost identical option parts and set up. Both are MR03 with PN Racing option parts installed. The difference between the 2 are my mod car has PN Multimount ,TDS with Kyosho top shock while my stock car has PN V4 mount, disc dampers and PN top shock. Both use PN double A arm at the front.

Now, the problem I have is both have tighter radius and sensitive when turning left. With my MOD car I get rid of this by adjusting the side shock preload to get a bit of left twist of the motor pod (when looking from the rear, the right side is a bit higher) to get the steering balance I like. On my Stock car which does not have TDS system installed, I cant adjust the motor pod. Is there another way to set up a car to get balance steering?

FYI i m using Kyosho Soft T-plate, i have checked it and it is not tweaked. I also squared my cars using PN set up board to get the motor pod mounted straight on the T-plate.

Thanks in advance for any reply helping me out with this.
Adjust your steering while your actually driving the car in and out of the turns in question. A tighter radius to one side doesn't always mean that the car is going to turn more to that side going into a turn. Sometimes I run different camber setting left to right to compensate for what the car is doing on the track.
Just adjust(-)your left balance/EPA until your car is steering feels balanced. It wouldn't be out of the norm to have 10 or 12 digits difference between the left and right. You max steering should be between 80-85%

THE PLACE FOR EVERYTHING RC

www.majsrc.com

Friday Night Mini-z Racing 7PM

<<< Team Driver for MHS / R1Wurks / DG DESIGNS >>>
egonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote