Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Flip Side

Old 2010.01.12, 09:00 AM   #1
pinwc4

Version 0.38 of Flip Side Racing Software now available

A new release is available, you can download it from the site:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/

Quite a bit has changed since version .33 and .34 tests so I would recommend keeping a backup copy of the previous version around. Here are the most interesting changes with this new version:

New Features
  • Kyosho IC Lap Counter support
  • Separate program to initialize generic tags to be used with the Kyosho IC lap counter (Kyosho tags do not need initialized, please let me know what tags work for you)
  • Ability to disable live graphing for slower computers
  • Support for a secondary lap counter so you can do rally style races or use 2 core lap counters to cover a wider track (not fully tested, I do not have 2 lap counters)

Changes, Enhancements
  • German and French speech translations included, copy the translation file over the existing language.xml to change spoken text. Further info here.
  • Significant improved performance of live graphing
  • Improved performance of races because live graphs are not updated if you are not looking at that screen
  • dNaNo and 1:43 added to the edit racers screen (dropdowns can be changed by editing raceparts.xml)
  • Lap remaining annoucements at 50, 30, 20 and 10 laps remaining
  • Added more help tags to buttons to describe there function

Bug fixes
  • Fixed bug with deleting events, if the most recent was deleted when the next race runs it could not put a copy of the laps in the backup table causing an error to pop up.
  • Added logic to clear serial buffer so if bad packets come in they do not get stuck unprocessed
  • Added logic to racer import to reject improperly formatted files
  • Fixed bug not showing lap 1 for individual lap times on graph

For those of you using the latest test version of .34 the main change with the Kyosho hardware support is the reintroduction of the scan button on the edit racers page. You must click this button to detect cars or new tags. It has a 5 second timeout. This gets rid of the frustration that would occur if you were on the edit racers page and people were driving around the track causing the screen to jump between the various records for cars as they cross the finish line.

A lot has changed since version .33 and even the most recent test of .34 beyond just Kyosho IC support. Please send me feedback good or bad of what you encounter. I need the feedback to know what works well and what needs improved. I have only bench tested this so far so bugs are likely.

Last edited by pinwc4; 2010.01.12 at 02:30 PM.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.12, 03:24 PM   #2
pinwc4

I made a mistake in my initial release of 0.38 and did not include the translation files or updated race parts. If you need either of those please redownload the latest version. You may have to clear the cache of your web browser before downloading the file.

Or you can directly download the latest version of the new files from here:

Race parts that include dNaNo

French speech translation

German speech translation

Sorry for the mistake
Old 2010.01.13, 11:37 AM   #3
racer_18x

hi. i'm running a core system with your software. i just need to check can the core system detect the rfid tag which are premounted on the Dnano?
racer_18x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.13, 12:11 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i can answer this with my experience, my core system will not read the new kyosho transponders with any software. if this is supposed to be possible, i may need some assistance.

*flipside should be able to read the kyosho transponder with core hardware.

Last edited by arch2b; 2010.01.13 at 01:07 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.13, 12:28 PM   #5
pinwc4

Arch2b, are you using the Core lap counter then? If so the Core software will not detect the tags on the dNaNo's. If you are using the Kyosho software then I would think something is wrong with the tag.

The Flip Side Racing software can pick up dNaNo tags using the Core lap counter hardware but you have to place them near the antenna loop itself. You can not place it in the middle of the loop like you can with the bigger tags. It is a similar problem people had with the smaller Core tags.

Arch2b, I tested the dNaNo you let me borrow with my own Core lap counter and was able to get it detected as long as I put it over the antenna loop instead of in the middle. What I did not get to verify is if it could pick up dNaNo's reliably during a race because I did not have a controller. So I waved the car around and it worked that way but my reflexes are probably not as fast as a car on a track.

racer_18x try the same thing I mentioned to Arch2b, put the dNaNo over the lap counters antenna loop to detect it in the Flip Side Racing software.

Let me know if that does or does not work as I still have not had anyone confirm or deny that in a race with the Core hardware that dNaNo's could be picked up reliably.
Old 2010.01.13, 01:06 PM   #6
arch2b

understood, it's user error

i am using core hardware and it will not pick up the dnano with flipside. it may be my loop placement as it is underneath rcp 30cm tiles. i cannot place the loop any closer without making it impractical to move the loop or reconfigure the track. i previously had it embedded into rcp 50cm tiles which worked great but my home track is a 30cm track.

using the same dnano you were using for testing.
Old 2010.01.13, 01:11 PM   #7
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I have found that the small generic tags will read perfectly if you do not mount them to the bottom of the chassis on the MR cars. Same for the medium(square) generics. If you mount either to the inside of the body or in the case of the F-1, on the bumper they work as well as the original CORE tags. The small tags even worked well on the F-1's when stood on edge on the side of the nose. I tested for 10,000 laps on my home track with great success. For some reason the only tags I could get to function on the bottom of the chassis were the original CORE tag and the large generic. All others had to have at least the F-1 bumper thickness between the tag and the track. Regardless of loop configuration. Full 12" spread down to 6" spread. I was able to test with as many as three tags attached to the car at a time. One on the hood. One on the roof and one on the trunk. They would operate with 98% efficiency randomly dropping one or another during the course of a 30 minute run.

I think you are close to a truly great timing system that will allow a shop owner to include a tag with the purchase of a car so that there is no additional expense for the noob to get started.

Hearing the voice call out while testing or racing makes it easier for the racer to keep track of their lap times and position without having to call on the person at the computer.

Now if we could just get that "how to operate the system for the complete idiot" tutorial an endowment would be in order. Not that you haven't earned it already. Keep up the good work. Please!
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.13, 03:00 PM   #8
pinwc4

mleemor60, that is very useful information. I have not done any sort of testing like that.

I will continue working on improving the program and plan on attacking documentation soon. I am starting to get more and more questions about the basic operations of the software so that will probably motivate completing some documentation sooner so that people can help themselves. Though it is nice getting to interact with these people from all over the world. I think this software is getting used far more than I realize.

arch2b, if you are not picking it up at all I would guess the same as you, it probably has something to do with the antenna placement.

TI has a demo program that works with the Core lap counter that could help troubleshoot detection problem.

TI Reader Utility

If you run that program you need to set it to the correct COM port under the Main menu then set the protocol under the Host Protocol menu to ISO. Then you set the command to inventory and then tell it to "Start Continuous Mode" it will just keep sending inventory commands until you tell it to stop. Then you can move things a bit and see where the car gets detected.

Though if you can not change where the antenna is I will probably have a Kyosho lap counter for sale in a few weeks that may work better......
Old 2010.01.13, 08:05 PM   #9
racer_18x

thanks for the quick reply guys, i'll give it a try later on the track. i have a couple of dnano users on the track and they want to enjoy the timing system as well. anyway pinwc4 will you be able to link your software to the webserver in the future where users are able to check the laptimes on the fly over the net like what amb has?
Old 2010.01.13, 09:08 PM   #10
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_18x View Post
thanks for the quick reply guys, i'll give it a try later on the track. i have a couple of dnano users on the track and they want to enjoy the timing system as well. anyway pinwc4 will you be able to link your software to the webserver in the future where users are able to check the laptimes on the fly over the net like what amb has?
Let us know how it goes.

As for future features I have many plans. Before I get into online services I still need to finish race event management for sorting heats, mains etc. But yes some day I plan on having the software stream results online. Once I get into point series management I plan on that all being an online service that works in conjunction with the lap counting software. But since I do this as a hobby so my time is very limited. So my progress is slow but I will continue my efforts.
Old 2010.01.20, 12:10 PM   #11
racer_18x

hi guy's i've been trying to get the dnano to detect on the core hardware but its still not working. even been moving the loop around hoping to get a better detection but still nothing. hopefully you can get a chance to do more testing on the dnano soon and advice us on how to get it to work...anyway great software easy to use...been using it for my hfay gathering on the track. now left with the race format.. hope it will be out soon
Old 2010.01.20, 05:46 PM   #12
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_18x View Post
hi guy's i've been trying to get the dnano to detect on the core hardware but its still not working. even been moving the loop around hoping to get a better detection but still nothing. hopefully you can get a chance to do more testing on the dnano soon and advice us on how to get it to work...anyway great software easy to use...been using it for my hfay gathering on the track. now left with the race format.. hope it will be out soon
Thanks for the update on dNaNo's. Arch2b was having the same problem. It is odd that mine was able to detect them and other peoples are not. I have to wonder if this has something to do with the different types of Core systems out there. I know there are 2 models that have different antenna loop designs, maybe it has to do with that. My Core reader has the black antenna loop which is a very thin coax line. But there was another design that had a loop made of a clear plastic tube with a solid copper line fished through the middle of it. Which version do you have?

This something I will not really be able to test, I do not have a dNaNo nor does anyone in our club. The only reason I had any sort of testing was because Arch2b was very kind and shipped me a dNaNo to borrow which helped tremendously with getting the Kyosho lap counter going.

Unfortunately if it is not working at this point I think it just will not work for you. There is nothing to change software wise to get them detected. As long as there is enough signal strength between the lap counter and the dNaNo it would be detected as it uses a standard RFID tag.
Old 2010.01.20, 08:03 PM   #13
arch2b

i have the older copper line loop core unit. i can place the dnano right inbetween the loop with nothing inbetween and it still doesn't pick up the car.

i knew i should have scooped up one of the newer units when i had the chance
Old 2010.01.20, 08:58 PM   #14
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
i have the older copper line loop core unit. i can place the dnano right inbetween the loop with nothing inbetween and it still doesn't pick up the car.

i knew i should have scooped up one of the newer units when i had the chance
The dNaNo may need to be above the loop wire itself to get picked up instead of in the middle of the loop. I imagine with your testing you already tried that but that was the only way I was able to pick up the car.

They may just have to have generic tags to work assuming a good place to tape them can be found. Not a big deal since they do not cost much.
Old 2010.01.21, 07:35 AM   #15
arch2b

you are correct, i tried every reasonable placement of the car in relation to the loop without success.
yes, i have resorted to taping a generic transponder to the bottom of the car. i want to look for one that fits within the boundary of the chassis as the current one is just a hair to wide and long. i tried the smaller f1 style and i just couldn't get them to scan unless they were laying on the track. as soon as i moved them to the bottom of the car, it won't pick them up. i wonder if this too may be a symptom of the older core unit vs. the newer unit? i know the smaller generic tags work and have had them work before yet i don't recall if i was using an old or new unit at the time.

it would be nice to see a breakdown of what does and doesn't work based on each core unit as there are apparent limitations to take into consideration.