Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.12.13, 01:02 PM   #1
BrandonGR

Major frustration with friends MR02 steering assembly

He has a MR-02 ASF 2.4ghz that neither of us can get working properly. He had the board fetted but now when we try to install the board the steering is giving us an incredible amount of trouble. We center the pot and steering rack, mount it up, put the motor into the assembly into the mount and press it into the chassis. Every time we turn it on the steering jerks one way to the left or right and won't center at all. The transmitter is centered. We changed pots first, and that seemed to help but the steering still won't center. Then we changed the wires, steering motor, steering box, steering gears. Basically everything that we could to get this thing to center without binding. We can't even center the installation without the motor jerking and screwing everything up. Can anyone offer help?
BrandonGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.13, 02:28 PM   #2
byebye

You could have it wired backwards. Also there is a small shim that goes between a couple of the servo gears. If that is not in place it won't center.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.13, 02:40 PM   #3
imxlr8ed

Here's a pic of an ASF ESC... note the wire colors and positions:

Does sound like crossed wires to me as well.

As for the potentiometer... if the wires are on top, and the gear side is facing you, the white wire is at the center, orange wire is at 1 o'clock, green wire is at 11 o'clock.

Should be right then... hopefully!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2011.12.13 at 02:51 PM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.13, 02:50 PM   #4
BrandonGR

i tried wiring it backwards but ill give it another guy
Old 2011.12.13, 03:00 PM   #5
NoBrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye View Post
Also there is a small shim that goes between a couple of the servo gears. If that is not in place it won't center.
Been there done that!

And it was a pain in the a** finding that error....
Old 2011.12.13, 03:26 PM   #6
BrandonGR

I don't have any shims at all, is there any place to get these? I'm still not sure this is the problem.
Old 2011.12.13, 05:25 PM   #7
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Shims sound interesting... I don't personally recall ever noticing any and I've rebuilt 015/02 plenty.
Old 2011.12.13, 09:08 PM   #8
BrandonGR

We spent about 8 or 9 hours total troubleshooting this thing over the span of a few days. It turns out the wiring on my car's actual pot, was different than the ones we were using. This car was wired the same as mine and as soon as the wires were reversed the issues went away. Thank you all.
Old 2011.12.13, 10:39 PM   #9
herman

glad to hear you got it fixed...

actually the shim bye bye was talking about is actually a very very small washer that spaces out the servo gears...

click here for kyosho manual

it's on page 24 and marked part no mz8-3 in between the servo gear group (mz8-1)

would really hate to loose that part... i've read somewhere that you can fabricate that small washer by finding a small tube (i.e. ball point ink refills of the same size/diameter) and cutting out a washer...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.13, 10:40 PM   #10
soimthatguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonGR View Post
I don't have any shims at all, is there any place to get these? I'm still not sure this is the problem.
its a very very very small gold washer that goes in between the servo gears. very important.
soimthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.13, 10:41 PM   #11
herman

i've also read about doing a double reset then a re-bind might do the trick...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.14, 01:40 AM   #12
BrandonGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
glad to hear you got it fixed...

actually the shim bye bye was talking about is actually a very very small washer that spaces out the servo gears...

click here for kyosho manual

it's on page 24 and marked part no mz8-3 in between the servo gear group (mz8-1)

would really hate to loose that part... i've read somewhere that you can fabricate that small washer by finding a small tube (i.e. ball point ink refills of the same size/diameter) and cutting out a washer...
thanks for the tip about the pen. im usually pretty resourceful but i didn't think about that. i do have a few laying around so i'll see what works.

i had 2 or 3 of those little shims some where but they managed to get loose after i replaced the steering gears on my car. talk about a hard to find part.
Old 2011.12.14, 04:57 PM   #13
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
I think whenever I changed things around, I didn't really disassemble the whole thing and thus never noticed the shim.