Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.04.15, 10:17 PM   #1
svt-racer

2.4GHz replacing AM system

Guys, I am sick of racing with the AM band and continue to have frequency glitch issues. Jason is on the same boat, and perhaps some of you may be feeling the same way. To that end, I am interested in pursuing the switch to the 2.4GHz system. That will present an issue regarding the timing system. We should begin investigating what other timing system we can use.

Comments, ideas, suggestions? Lets open up the discussion.
svt-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.15, 11:17 PM   #2
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt-racer View Post
I am interested in pursuing the switch to the 2.4GHz system. That will present an issue regarding the timing system. We should begin investigating what other timing system we can use.

Comments, ideas, suggestions? Lets open up the discussion.
What timing system are you using? and why dould it present an issue?

I thought you were using core, I haven't had any issues with core and the 2.4ghz ASF Mini-z's.
Old 2008.04.16, 05:45 AM   #3
mini-z
Administrator

BKS, we're using the KO system, which is transponder-less, using the car's own frequency - as such, it cannot be used w/ 2.4; we have both the Core and Giro-Z systems as well, either of which we can use w/ 2.4 - however, 2.4 is not yet legal for HFAY, right?
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.16, 10:48 AM   #4
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-z View Post
BKS, we're using the KO system, which is transponder-less, using the car's own frequency - as such, it cannot be used w/ 2.4; we have both the Core and Giro-Z systems as well, either of which we can use w/ 2.4 - however, 2.4 is not yet legal for HFAY, right?
not for the rest of season 5, it will be leagal In season 6
Old 2008.04.16, 10:49 AM   #5
cvt01

I just don't have glitches like you guys have, I can recall only one race where I had some minor glitch but it was nothing compared to your problem. I believe it is because of the KO radio I'm using but I may be wrong here. So I don't know how much the change to 2.4 system would cost but a new KO radio + AM module is about $244 at shopatron... that would still enable us to use that KO lap counting system - it is just sooo convenient.
If you guys want to test it with your own car we can do that next time.

BTW - it is time to open the official thread for the next race - just in case you are reading this D...
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.16, 03:56 PM   #6
svt-racer

Well, I am willing to forfeit the season and try to enjoy racing with the new 2.4GHz system. It just takes the fun out of competing. Having a car glitching in every lap does not make it easy to drive and enjoy the good Friday nights we spend at the Dojo!
Old 2008.04.16, 04:25 PM   #7
CristianTabush

Purchasing a Giro-Z is about $300 U.S. I think this is a very good alternative as it allows you to run any frequency you want.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.16, 05:14 PM   #8
mini-z
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01 View Post
I just don't have glitches like you guys have, I can recall only one race where I had some minor glitch but it was nothing compared to your problem. I believe it is because of the KO radio I'm using but I may be wrong here.
For me the glitching seems to be off and on, I've not experienced anything significant in the past few races; interesting point RE Helios - does Paulie ever have glitching problems - it would be interesting if the KO users turned out to experience it less/never vs M8/11?

Quote:
So I don't know how much the change to 2.4 system would cost but a new KO radio + AM module is about $244 at shopatron... that would still enable us to use that KO lap counting system - it is just sooo convenient.
If you guys want to test it with your own car we can do that next time.
I assume what you meant to say that you should support to Dojo and avoid shopatron (if you did order from there, it would most likely come from us anyway - they'd just take a big cut)... We should have the Helios sets back in stock soon - and don't forget we're only a few months away from the ASF module for Helios!

Quote:
BTW - it is time to open the official thread for the next race - just in case you are reading this D...
Next race isn't til 4/25, but, will do soon!
Old 2008.04.16, 05:20 PM   #9
mini-z
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Well, I am willing to forfeit the season and try to enjoy racing with the new 2.4GHz system. It just takes the fun out of competing. Having a car glitching in every lap does not make it easy to drive and enjoy the good Friday nights we spend at the Dojo!
We could set up a duplicate HFAY layout (or two!) where the big track is now and use the Core or (and!) Giro-Z systems there for 2.4GHz people - you wouldn't be able to submit your times, but you'd at least be able to compare for those who want to make the switch early; here's everything you need to switch to 2.4 btw:

Kyosho Mini-Z MR-02/MR-015 2.4GHz ASF Conversion Set

Kyosho Mini-Z MA-010 2.4GHz ASF Conversion Set

Another idea w/b to spend the month "off" doing a 3-way lap counter comparison/experiment, if the glitchees are willing to run another 3 races to finish out the season.
Old 2008.04.16, 05:22 PM   #10
mini-z
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Purchasing a Giro-Z is about $300 U.S. I think this is a very good alternative as it allows you to run any frequency you want.
C, we do have a Giro-Z actually - this may be just the impetus we need to actually get it up and running - until now we'd had good results w/ the KO/no reason to switch, so we'd not really spent much time figuring out the Giro software etc.
Old 2008.04.16, 05:30 PM   #11
briankstan

Quote:
Don't forget we're only a few months away from the ASF module for Helios!
is there a pre-order for these? I need in on it if there is.
Old 2008.04.16, 08:07 PM   #12
svt-racer

Quote:
C, we do have a Giro-Z actually - this may be just the impetus we need to actually get it up and running - until now we'd had good results w/ the KO/no reason to switch, so we'd not really spent much time figuring out the Giro software etc.

I am willing to spend the time and set it up. Spend enough time to work with the system and see what software works best with it.

By the way, thanks for the info on the conversion. I was actually thinking that perhaps I can start troubleshooting the issues with a different radio, crystals, etc. I got a feeling that between the crystal sets and the Futaba radio and antenna I have they are not helping. Even with my AM module, I believe it may not be as robust as in a new KO radio. I did try using Pauly's radio with his car, and it was a dream. The reaction time and feel of the steering wheel and trigger, was right on. I think I actually like how the radio felt in my hands, very comfortable.

I may be up for a new radio anyway for my regular 1/10 scale racing as well as the Mini Z. If that combo is better suited for the miniZ, I will make the switch...but most likely stay in the 2.4GHz.

I believe Jason's radio is the M8, not the M11, but I am not sure on that. He also is thinking about making the switch to KO.

Last edited by svt-racer; 2008.04.16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 2008.04.16, 09:03 PM   #13
Shadow Runner
Best Registered User

Quote:
here's everything you need to switch to 2.4 btw:

Kyosho Mini-Z MR-02/MR-015 2.4GHz ASF Conversion Set
what does this set include?

Also, would I be able to participate in the HFAY with my MR-02 lithium car?
Old 2008.04.16, 10:38 PM   #14
cvt01

Quote:
I assume what you meant to say that you should support to Dojo and avoid shopatron (if you did order from there, it would most likely come from us anyway - they'd just take a big cut)... We should have the Helios sets back in stock soon - and don't forget we're only a few months away from the ASF module for Helios!
ummm yeah that's what I meant

I'm not so sold on the 2.4 GHz systems, I still remember the early adopters struggle on the spektrum system. I will let you guys figure it out. I have two 27Mhz FM receiver for the thing, nobody else uses 27MHz FM at lazer so it is just as good as a spektrum...
I don't believe in the universal off-brand TV remotes and I think trying to marry the sanwa and futaba systems to the miniz receiver is almost the same category, it will work but never as good as the original. KO may have put in some trick in those built in miniz receivers so they like the KO brand transmitters and/or AM modules better than the sanwa and futaba stuff...
Old 2008.04.16, 10:46 PM   #15
cvt01

Quote:
C, I think you guys should think through this forfeiting thing a little, I mean we are so close to win the season as a team. There are three races left at least do one or two more to stay in the top 15 with the drops or something...