Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.11.03, 02:13 AM   #1
herman

mr03 reviews....

just a suggestion... for the benefit of all...

i was wondering if everybody could cooperate by putting all the mr03 reviews in this thread???

would be easier to catch if they were all in one thread...

click here for programmer's review
herman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 11:29 AM   #2
CristianTabush

Finally First drive!!!

What a blast! Last night I finally got to test my car for the first time. The results were VERY promising.

First of all I want to put the scenario in perspective. Last night was our first race at our new place in Houston, Jacob Feinstein and I ran mod an went at it as usual. This was also my second time to race since the KO GP in March so I am a bit rusty and as you all know Jacob just came back from Barcelona where he won 2 more PNWCs.

The racing was close between Jacob and I. First qualifier went to Jacob by about a lap. My 03 was pushing a bit and needed to rotate a little bit quicker. I switched my front tires for the second qualifier and BAM! The car was ballistic. I was able to catch Jacob and pull away at will even with quite a few mistakes I was able to re-set the TQ position by a couple of tenths over Jacob's time. I also set the fastest lap of the night in the process.

In the third qualifier I tried changing over to the new PN Spur just to compare it to ours. The car lost it's ability to rotate as hard as it started pushing badly on exit. Surprisingly, it pushed on entry as well, even though it was supposed to give more steering. I think that the flywheel effect is what allowed the car to have more turn it with our much lighter spur gears (the car just slows down quicker). I was not quite a fast in consequence, being about 1 tenth slower on average. The PN Spur will probably come in handy for those of you that want your car to push a little bit more than usual on exit. It makes the car a little mellower on throttle as well, as it does not spool up as quickly as the Reflex Spur, having a little bit less punch. Grip was also coming up on the track and Jacob's 96mm 02 was starting to get much quicker as well.

For the main, I should have changed my rear tires. My Radials were about to go bald and I gambled not to replace them thinking that the grip would be enough to where I would not need the tread for much longer. BIG MISTAKE. I also went back to the Reflex Spur and put faster batteries (750's)and the car became just a bit too loose. I really had to battle with it the whole time and I was not able to give chase to Jacob who's car was getting quicker. He ended up setting fast lap in the main with a 6.92 to my previous fast lap of 7.02. He was running the WTF2, 96mm G-10 plates and SSG's with a 350Z body. I was on 98mm, with PN #4 plate, green front springs, 98-102 mount and GTR2008 body. I built Jacob's car with 4+years of knowledge on MR-02 development. The MR-03 I am just starting to learn. I found several things after I got home where I can improve the car, just by being observant, with the addition of a couple of key changes, the car will be very tough to beat.

Next week I will come back a little more prepared and as the car gets more crisp, my driving will also become better with more track time. Overall though I give the MR-03 an A+ on a first time drive. It was right on pace, super responsive to set-up changes and very, very fast.
http://www.reflexracing net

Last edited by CristianTabush; 2009.11.22 at 11:33 AM.
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 03:23 PM   #3
boroEF

Thanks for the glowing mr03 review!
I'm sure lots of people were waiting to hear what a top driver thinks of the car

how does it handle compared to the mr02? i presume it has quicker turn in...and generally more front end bite?
Old 2009.11.22, 04:36 PM   #4
CristianTabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroEF View Post
Thanks for the glowing mr03 review!
I'm sure lots of people were waiting to hear what a top driver thinks of the car

how does it handle compared to the mr02? i presume it has quicker turn in...and generally more front end bite?
Turn in is not necessarily more, just a lot more precise. The car is very, very sure footed and does not wander whatsoever.
Old 2009.11.22, 04:53 PM   #5
skyler

MR03 Hop Ups

Cristian, How soon till we start to see RR hop ups for the MR03? A;so, how long before V2 spurs? Thanks.
skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 07:00 PM   #6
CristianTabush

Hopefully about a couple of weeks for some new front end parts, and then some other parts should follow sometime in January.

V2 spurs, maybe a month out, not much changed, we are just eliminating the need to space them.
Old 2009.11.22, 07:19 PM   #7
Samael76

CT, could you give us any hint about what new front parts you´re up to?
Samael76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 07:47 PM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
this is an mr-03 review thread... lets keep the reflex product reviews to reflex product review threads please i'm sure cristian will have them posted to the new product subforum shortly.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 07:52 PM   #9
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Nice write up so far Cristian. Keep us posted. Im liking what i see to.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 08:01 PM   #10
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Turn in is not necessarily more, just a lot more precise. The car is very, very sure footed and does not wander whatsoever.
Nice write up CT and thanks for sharing.

I ran mine on a very tight Mini96 and that's what I noticed also, the throttle and steering is much more precise and much smoother, but turn in is about the same even direction changes seemed to be the same for me, lap times are same also. Now that is with an LM set up for both (Note: right now I am faster with the 02 LM then any of my 02s small or large track). When I get the time I may compare the 02 and 03 using a 94mm and 98mm set up.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser

Last edited by Cherub1m; 2009.11.22 at 08:05 PM.
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.23, 01:56 AM   #11
herman

thanks for the great review ct!

Quote:
My 03 was pushing a bit and needed to rotate a little bit quicker. I switched my front tires for the second qualifier and BAM!
what did you change them to? softer front tires?

Last edited by herman; 2009.11.23 at 02:49 AM.
herman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.23, 02:26 AM   #12
Programmers
iTomCash

Great writeup but this felt more like a series of small product reviews, not an MR03 review...
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.23, 02:40 AM   #13
ruf
4play

Did you expect us to review a stock MR-03 against Jacob's MR-02? hehehe!
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.23, 03:18 AM   #14
CristianTabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmers View Post
Great writeup but this felt more like a series of small product reviews, not an MR03 review...
Sorry to disappoint you on the review. I gave the impressions of my first race day with an MR-03. I tested available options for the car to get a good overall feel of the potential of the car in a race scenario, which is what we do at Reflex, race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post

what did you change them to? softer front tires?
Same compound (K30), I just went to a tire with a little taller sidewall...

Last edited by CristianTabush; 2009.11.23 at 03:21 AM.
Old 2009.11.28, 01:13 AM   #15
color01

Well, here's my short review... unfortunately I haven't had a chance to actually race the car yet, but what the heck. I'll get to it eventually.

http://tinyrc.com/forums/blog.php?b=110

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote