Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.11.22, 03:49 PM   #1
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Reflex inspired set up

I plan to write a review of this car (with ttimed results included) once I get a few more minutes. For now here are some pictures of the build/set up.

WTF2

Kyosho shaft outfitted with QteQ parts and RR 53t 64 pitch spur.

PN LCG94/98 pod mounted up....of course 96mm.

Overview shots

Ill go into more detail with the results, but I must say, this car is a joy to drive, and it set a couple of records on our most recent layout.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 04:38 PM   #2
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

has anyone told you about the latest cool mini-z accessory?

(it's called compressed air canisters)

Just poking fun, Landon...looking forward to your impressions.

For curiousity's sake do you have the capability of posting comparison results with WTF1 and the PN A-arm? Thinking about doing a testing day with all three onto the same car....not at the same time of course.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.22, 09:00 PM   #3
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Most of those pics were taken after testing once I got the set up dialed. I took a few of them after racing friday night, and they snuck in

And FWIW, if my cars dont have some RCP on the, Im not getting enough use out of 'em

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.23, 11:27 AM   #4
dxm2

I think its great that you're using the 935 rear wheels! What body are you testing this with?
I've stopped running top springs on the rear suspension on almost all my cars, I think it makes the rear a little more responsive. I look forward to your review.
dxm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.24, 02:55 PM   #5
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Landon,

I'm setting up a car nearly identical to yours. Would you mind if I shared my set up here too? Maybe we can compare notes and get CT to chime in. Attached is a picture of mine so far (not as close up as yours though).

RR 96mm T-Plate
QteQ Diff with RR 53t Spur and ceramic balls, Kyosho rings on a 3R Ti shaft
WTF2 on the front in silver like yours

M
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.24, 02:57 PM   #6
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Here is the picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7295.jpg (160.7 KB, 75 views)
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.24, 04:33 PM   #7
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ Yeah Marwan, post away! Itll take some of the heat off of me for keeping it updated, lol

Anyway, here is my full set up:

RR high grade MR02 bearings
RR96mm CF Hplate (medium I believe)
RR WTF2, with .5 PN knuckles
Kyosho ASC collection (dont remember which body) 0 front offset wheels
Kyosho 935 RSR rear wheels (a little taller like inch-ups)
Kyosho diff shaft, plates, and O-ring
RR 64 pitch 53t spur and PN delrin 14t pinion
QteQ diff housing and left wheel hub
QteQ wheel nuts, with bushing built onto left rear
PN multi length DDS with sanded discs and plate (blue/red)
PN LCG 94/98 motor pod
PN low down purple springs, shimmed to minimize droop to ~.5-1mm
Kyosho 20d radial rear tires, and 30d slick fronts

This was the end set up. I will go through a bit of what I did to end up with it like this as I get into explanations and critiques of the set up and products.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.24, 05:27 PM   #8
CristianTabush

Nice Guys!!! They look a lot like the PC from the enduro as well as the car Jacob used to win PC at the PN World Finals...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.24, 06:43 PM   #9
hrdrvr
MBMZR

CT, your car at the enduro (and my recent acqusition of the new WT) are what inspired this build!

When I built this car it was mainly to test the WTF2 vs my other stock car, which is a PN A-arm car set up with an ATM 94mm ver5 MM pod, and ATM 94mm DDS that runs a lexus SC430. That car has been solid for me for almost two years without any major change except the A-arm kit. The rear really didnt get anything special when I upped the front either. I really just changed my front tire, and got the settings right for me. The car had been virtually unbeatable for months, and was the current record holder for qualifying on our newest layout. The record was 30 laps in 5:07.9. The closest competitor was sitting at 29/5:06, almost a full lap. A full lap is a lot with our group. We are all pretty tight, and dont really get that far away from each other, so needless to say, I was trying to replace/match something that was in pretty good shape.

Anyway, when I started the build I had some QteQ parts in my box that I hadnt put to use since I was waiting for the RR 64 pitch spurs, and the funds to grab a better shaft (Ive been running Kyo diffs with PN 64p conversions on all my other cars). I still never grabbed a shaft, but while I was taking the time to cut up an MR02, I went ahead and put the QteQ parts on one of my Kyosho diffs, and added the RR 53t spur. I opted to stick with the regular diff balls from my K diff. The diff went together perfectly. I used the small spacer kit, and its good enough for my liking. The spur doesnt ride perferctly in the middle, but that doesnt bother me too much. It would probably be easy enough to buy the full ATM kit and get it perfect, but Im all about functionality. It works awesome like it is, and there is no chance for suction to the diff rings. It was quicker than switching to the the PN spur, since I had to sand it to work with the K parts. Difficulty wise, they were practically the same.

The WTF2 went on just as easily as the first one, which is of course the same as it is with the PN tower bar sets, or the EMU conversion on the 015.

So, I had this back up car with a pretty basic set up for me. I had run it at the PN regional in NJ (where I didnt fare too well), and as a 70t pan car at the SC regional before that, (where I had a great run with it). It hasnt seen much attention lately though, as we are running stock and mod, and Ive got good cars for each of those classes. Anyway, I just switched over the 1.5 knuckles, PN low down springs, and my usual ton of droop I left my wheels wrapped in the worn-in SSGs, and 30 radials, and left the DDS untouched (well, maybe I added another touch of ruby lube ). Also, I had been geared at 12/53, so started with that here.

Within ten laps, I turned a 9.85, and knew I could go faster. My prior best was 9.79, but I mostly ended up around 9.85 each night, so I was happy with this. Immediatly, I felt the car had a ton more steering control and stability. It felt so precise...almsot too precise. I havent driven cars with that mcuh steering in all spots of the corner. At high speed, control was incredible. Off throttle control was incredible, but in mid/high speed 'S's (Ill link a pic of the track at the end) the car was a bit twitchy for me. I knew steering was going to be tricky, bringing a standard width set up over to this, so I wasnt surprised it was a little aggresive for my liking. What did surprise me was what a difference a diff makes (I so wanted to say what a diff a diff makes ) These lighter parts are going to make me so much faster, was my original impression. My car slowed so much quicker when I let off the throttle, and accelerated so much quicker it was unbelievable. This meant I could drive it in deeper, and still come out of the other side carrying the same speed. This I think was the significant change in my set up, and it changed my whole approach to the high speed corners. On our track they are a bit trickey, as almost every one of them has an elevation change (none matching either). I have to be very careful on how I enter the corners, so I usually slow the car a bit on entry ot keep it from leaving the ground at apex, and power through and out to carry max speed down the next straight. With my other cars Im lifting about 4 tiles before the turn, and getting on just past the apex (where the car settles onto the new elevation) to power out. I keep speed with the other cars, since my cars stays planted, and usually get a better run on the following straight because of it. With the new diff, I was merely blipping off throttle at the apex, and holding full speed the rest of the time. The little blip was enough to keep the car down, and I only dropped speed for a millisecond, instead of the tenth or so it sually takes to slow the car. At this point, Im now challenging other cars in the high speed areas, as opposed to just hanging and waiting for a mistake. As my first race night (same day as furst run) progressed, I felt really good about the car. In the first round I set TQ with a 29/5:03. In the second round I busted out a 30/5:10.0, just 2 seconds behind my record. I ran away in the main for the first few laps. A lap car was caught up upside down on the wall. I tried to marshall the car, and held myself up until second passed me. He waited for me, and I followed him as we raced away. I had the car for sure, but made a few too many mistakes. After mistakes I could catch him with ease (and overtook him a few times), but the car was just to sensetive for me, and I just couldnt put down the clean laps in the end. Actually, I got passed at the end of the straight with one lap to go (slacked on defending), and got bumped to third It served me right, but it wasnt the cars fault......

In the end, I was still impressed. In one night I got within 2 seconds of my best run in a month or more, and set a fast lap of 9.78 in the main. I clicked off a bunch of laps under 9.9, which wasnt usually the case. Id usually faslt lap around .85, but end up wti a bunch of 9.9xx and 10.0xx. The car was significantly better, I just had too man y12s

Here are a couple of track pics.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...9-11-21078.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...9-11-21082.jpg

Ive had one more race night and a couple more practice days with this car. More info to follow.....

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.24, 06:53 PM   #10
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Thanks for the post.. Really interesting.

What wheel offsets are you running? And you are running the SC430, right?

-Jer
Old 2009.11.24, 07:14 PM   #11
hrdrvr
MBMZR

So after a disappointing main finish, I was determined to move this car to the front! During the following week I got a few hours here and there to tinker. I took all of the droop out of the front (but no preload) taking it back to stock ride height, and went to .5 degree knuckles, as well as switching to some worn-in Kyosho 30 slicks (taking ride height back down). I also decided to gear up. I was killing the other guys off of the corners, but they were making up ground on me around the outside of the layout, where it is nearly flat out for about 40 tiles worth. I ended up going all the way up to a 14/53 setting. As quick as this diff spools up, I was losing nothing on low end, and gaining a ton on top end with the tall gear. This set up also felt more stable, and easy to drive with the front changes, and the tire swap. For the rest of the week, I piddled around with the front end, and tire balance. I ended up with Kyosho 20 radials in the back, and ended up back with the purple front springs, but now with a tiny bit of droop (Id say around .5mm or a tad more).

The car is so balanced, and so quick. I got down to a 9.453 a couple of days before race night. In the first round of qualifying I hotlapped at 9.543 and went 30/5:03, to set TQ. In the second round one other guy sneaked into the 30 ranks (while 3 or 4 others had hit 29). I only managed a 9.659, but I had a mean of 9.95 and hit 31 in 5:08, .1 away from a full lap over the best coming into the night!! I was overtaking at the end of the straight much easier. There were others geared as high as I was, but they couldnt hold it all coming down the hill at the end of the straight. With slight throttle blips I was able to fly through aggresively without leaving the ground, and could see myself making up there every single lap.

Unfourtunatley, I disappointed myelf in the main again. Not by much this time though. I made about 5 mistakes throughout the race. While they werent big, they were enough to keep me behind my rival. I raced bumper to bumper behind him for about 4 minutes of the race. I over took him once, but gave it back up with a mistake within a lap or so. He ony made two small mistakes, and unfortunately for me, they were both shortly after I made bigger ones, so I was too far behind to capitolize. If I could have stayed in front of him for any more than four corners, I could have probably pulled away rather easily. After my mistakes it usually only took a couple of laps to draw him back in. He just drove so tight, and so flawless, there wasnt any where to make a clean move. As far as cars, my relfex inspired ride deserved the win. As far as driving, the win went where it should have. He only beat me by .5, so it was a battle to the end that could have gone either way.

I was still happy. My best qualifying run so far had been 31/5:03 with a mod car, in which I only hit 2 10.1s, and everyhing else was in the 9s. The mean was like 9.75, so I thought 31 was unachievable with a 70t car.

We are moving on to the HFAY BTE layout for the next month or so. If any one is interested, Ill post the next few race days worth of experience with the car. I dont know if itll stay 70t for this layout, or get tested as a mod car on this tight little layout

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.24, 07:14 PM   #12
PridgeoK

That's an awesome track! Inspiring, actually. Interesting read, as well.

Thanks Landon!

Kev.
PridgeoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.24, 07:16 PM   #13
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Thanks for the post.. Really interesting.

What wheel offsets are you running? And you are running the SC430, right?

-Jer
My bad for not clarifying the body sooner. I am running a PN pan car body with the front reinforced (a little extra front weight), and the rear cut out. The wheels are 0 front offset, and +2 rear.

My previous A-Arm stock car is a lexus sc430 though, and has been beating my 70t pan cars for a while now.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.24, 07:22 PM   #14
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridgeoK View Post
That's an awesome track! Inspiring, actually. Interesting read, as well.

Thanks Landon!

Kev.
Thank you Kev. We love our track. Ive taken the liberty to go overboard on it every chance I get I have to say this is the most carpet Ive had showing in a while (Im usually a techy kind of layout guy), but it was also the fastest racing weve ever seen. Having three long straghts with sweepers at both ends of all of them made for some awesome high speed overtaking. The two best passing spots were the hairpins following the fast sections, so the straights were ever so important in this one.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2009.11.24, 09:26 PM   #15
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

hrdrvr,

Thanks for the indepth thoughts on the WTF2.. I'm thinking about getting one, so it is really interesting to me. I wonder how it'll compare to the MR-03

-Jer