Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.12.09, 09:42 PM   #1
byebye

Contemplating dropping the hobby....

So I know I haven't had much activity but I'm contemplating selling all my gear and getting out of the hobby.

I haven't touched my cars in about a month or so and even then it was for only an hour or so(I spent more time setting up). Then we just pulled the track and piled it up and I haven't messed with them since. It's unfortunate that there are no hobby shops here at all. I tried to put some stuff together but there just isn't any interest.

So yeah, I'm thinking it's time to start moving my stuff out. I suppose work is a factor as well. I transfer in about 7 months and just don't know where I'm going so I may be in the same situation. I managed to move the rest of my AM cars. The plan was to be 2.4 all around but spending cash on a hobby I don't do is not economical.

It's been real fun...

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 10:51 PM   #2
Sinister_Y

Try not playing mini-z for about a year. That's been my situation. Also, most of the guys I knew that played mini-z don't anymore. They all switchd to helicopters. That will now that I've opened a place that has a permanent track. That makes all the difference. Nobody wanted to help unpack/ setup and pack it up again every time we played. I got tired of doing it all myself.

Add in a newborn son and time is very limited.

Regarding your situation. I've dropped RC completely before, but got back into it again. You'll probably be the same. Once a r/c crackhead....

You can either keep the stuff you have and hold onto it until you get back in or sell off everything and just buy new stuff when and if you get back into. Who knows there might be a MR-50 by that time.

Whatever your decision, I'm sure you'll be okay. RC isn't the world but sure feels good to have some fun tuning a car and breaking your best lap time.
Sinister_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 11:42 PM   #3
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

I don't know how much stuff you have, but if I were you I'd keep enough stuff so that you could still race. You will probably get the itch again before too long.

-Jer
Old 2009.12.10, 12:13 AM   #4
Eman

Sometimes I will go a month w/o running my Z's but I always get the bug. There is very little interest in Mini Zs where I'm at as well. Its just a few of my friends and a few of my son's and our interests jump around a bit. Fortunately my track is set up in my basement. It doesn't take me hours to set up. I just vacuum and we're off to the races. My advice is not to sell anything. Who knows what your situation will be in 7 months. Maybe you'll have the room set up a permanent track. Maybe you'll fall in with a group with the same interests. I would not sell, the return on your investment would be low. "RC's are a horrible investment," as a friend of mine always. Anyways I think you'll be kicking yourself later on down the road.
Old 2009.12.10, 01:41 AM   #5
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Its sad. I bought my first Mini-Z from byebye. Also, he taught me how to change FETs while listening to groovy music. Its too bad. My Dad lives in Carrollton Texas, how far is that from your location?

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 02:11 AM   #6
Red Team

Send a message via Yahoo to Red Team
I've been on and off the RC cars hobby ( 1/28 or not ) for almost 20 years now. Sometimes I stay off for few months, once it was for few years. Last time was this year when I took a break from February till October.

There are many reasons for doing this...but I think it's good. From time to time you need to get a break and to focus on something else or to get to a different hobby or no hobby at all. It will help you to get a new perspective and once you're not involved anymore, to have a clear picture.

I always sold all my stuff and got a better one, once I was back and I never regret I did this. I have to mention that always I stay conected with the hobby one way or another, mostly just watching the various forums or more rarely, going to a track to watch some races. But watching the other people was so good...not being part of the " stress " or not being involved at all. Till one day, when I say to myself...ok, enough with the break, it's time to go back and " kick some arse " and I feeeeel so good.

So, all that I can say...do what you feel and what you think it's better for you. May be one day you'll be back and your excitement will be much more high than I think it's now.

Goodluck and best of wishes whatever you'll choose !
Old 2009.12.10, 04:37 AM   #7
Programmers
iTomCash

What a shame Kris! You could keep just 1/2 cars and a few bits so it's not too expensive to keep around...
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 07:08 AM   #8
byebye

Thanks everyone! One thing does seem certain though is the hobby will never die. I remember Arch2b and I talking about how often members come and go. I guess I'm just not sure because my future location is not certain. I'm always jealous of the people who have clubs and tracks ang gtg's. I'm just too far from anyone it seems.

I think I'm going to liquidate some of my assets and pack up the track, timing system, cars and radios for another day. I recently contacted mini-z to tell him to cancel my MR-03 pre-order....ugh. I was looking forward to getting one too....

Anyways thanks for the support. I'll still lurk and you'll catch me online but probably won't be posting much. I think I've had a big impact on this forum and really helped get the knowledge out there. I read all the time about members helping new members and its great to see that. I almost feel out of a job! I'll be back. Like I said it's been fun.

In the future look out for a FS thread. I'll most likely be moving all my ASC's(not the mclarens) and all my spares.

Kris
Old 2009.12.10, 12:24 PM   #9
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
you will be missed my friend people come and go, it's just the natural order of things. i'm sure at some point in the future you will pick up the transmitter again and if your in the area at the time, just give me a call

do not sell your favorite autoscales. more often than not, you'll find them worth a pretty penny later on and very hard to replace. i still have a team m3 in my collection

you and your family were a very big part of our club and dear friends. given the nature of your employment, i can certainly understand the desire to reduce the volume of items to have relocated.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 12:45 PM   #10
ianc

Just the voice of caution; you have no idea what's going to happen in 7 mos. You could be relocating to an area where the mini-z scene is quite happening, then you'll really regret selling your stuff.

Wait 'til you relocate first. If the scene is still dead there, then sell.

Although, I was rather looking forward to seeing some ASC's for sale...

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 12:54 PM   #11
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Just the voice of caution; you have no idea what's going to happen in 7 mos. You could be relocating to an area where the mini-z scene is quite happening, then you'll really regret selling your stuff.

Wait 'til you relocate first. If the scene is still dead there, then sell.
I'll second this. You'll always be able to sell, but its a one-way action so its worth seriously thinking about. Also, you always have the market readily available and selling RIGHT now vs later shouldn't affect what you'd get back.
Old 2009.12.10, 04:02 PM   #12
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
guys, you have to take into consideration the methods by which he is being relocated it's not as simple as packing it all up and take it all with you and deal with it later.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 11:04 PM   #13
byebye

Well here's an update-I spoke with the detailer today and I kind of figured out why I'm not getting orders...I am qualified for a job not listed and it's in D.C.! Yes I may be back in the State Department again. This is still way up in the air and I'm trying to figure out what is best for my career path, advancement and of course 6 years from now my retirement from the Navy. My choices right now are 1 year unacompanied orders to remote areas or take the job with state again. I may be in D.C. for 1 to 2 years again but I'll be traveling a lot and may not have the time still to enjoy the hobby. But as Arch2b remembers I'd be running back and forth racing in between trips.

Again it's still way up in the air. Right now I'm trying to focus on a few things, recently I was selected as Sailor of the Year for my command here and have another board next week to compete for Sailor of the Year for all training commands. After that I'll compete for Shore Sailor of the year and the award for that is advancment to Chief. I have the Chiefs exam in January so I have to study for that as well and lastly I'm negotiating orders for my next duty station. I hardly have time to relax these days as I'm volunteering a lot on the weekends and weekdays.

Just some insight for you all.

Kris
Old 2009.12.11, 04:04 AM   #14
herman

kinda sad hearing enthusiasts leaving the hobby.... especially when that particular enthusiast is a great contributor on the forums... anyway don't forget all of us over here... and whatever you do, i wish you all the best...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.11, 11:46 AM   #15
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye View Post
Well here's an update-I spoke with the detailer today and I kind of figured out why I'm not getting orders...I am qualified for a job not listed and it's in D.C.! Yes I may be back in the State Department again. This is still way up in the air and I'm trying to figure out what is best for my career path, advancement and of course 6 years from now my retirement from the Navy. My choices right now are 1 year unacompanied orders to remote areas or take the job with state again. I may be in D.C. for 1 to 2 years again but I'll be traveling a lot and may not have the time still to enjoy the hobby. But as Arch2b remembers I'd be running back and forth racing in between trips.

Again it's still way up in the air. Right now I'm trying to focus on a few things, recently I was selected as Sailor of the Year for my command here and have another board next week to compete for Sailor of the Year for all training commands. After that I'll compete for Shore Sailor of the year and the award for that is advancment to Chief. I have the Chiefs exam in January so I have to study for that as well and lastly I'm negotiating orders for my next duty station. I hardly have time to relax these days as I'm volunteering a lot on the weekends and weekdays.

Just some insight for you all.

Kris
Hobby?... what hobby?

Sounds to me like you found a great path to devote your energy to. MiniZ isn't going away anytime soon... get the gold first, then there'll be time to play!

Good luck!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote