Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Off-Topic

Old 2006.02.02, 12:19 AM   #1
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

i'd like to have a car i can race on the street, need info!

i love my mini-z, however, i'd like to have a small scale car that i can run around on my street w/o worrying about a small pebble sending my car flying in the air...

i am thinking 4wd 1/18 scale...however, i know nothing about them. My 2pl came with a receiver and two servos, so atleast i have a radio and receiver, will one of those servos fit in a 1/18 4wd on-road car? I want something durable, and a car that can be setup to go EXTREMELY fast. I have seen the HPI rs4's are pretty popular; is it worth getting the car kit, not the RTR? Keep in mind i will have to then buy an esc and batteries, etc...tho if i buy the RTR i'll have a TX, RX, and servo i might not need.

Let me know what you all think, thanks!

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs

Last edited by builthatch; 2006.02.02 at 12:27 AM.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.02.02, 01:00 AM   #2
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
i love my mini-z, however, i'd like to have a small scale car that i can run around on my street w/o worrying about a small pebble sending my car flying in the air...

i am thinking 4wd 1/18 scale...however, i know nothing about them. My 2pl came with a receiver and two servos, so atleast i have a radio and receiver, will one of those servos fit in a 1/18 4wd on-road car? I want something durable, and a car that can be setup to go EXTREMELY fast. I have seen the HPI rs4's are pretty popular; is it worth getting the car kit, not the RTR? Keep in mind i will have to then buy an esc and batteries, etc...tho if i buy the RTR i'll have a TX, RX, and servo i might not need.

Let me know what you all think, thanks!
k, looks like i can use the RX and servo that came with my 2pl, but i'd still have to get an ESC. I'd go for the Novak Spy i guess; that will cost me around 70 w/ the battery...hmm. so i'd save 30 dollars or so getting the kit vs. the RTR...

Old 2006.02.02, 01:57 AM   #3
Mazda787b

Ehh, don't get a Spy. Go for a Futaba MC230CR, at least you can use it with 540 motors if you ever go 1/10. Your componenets are perfect for a Micro RS4 kit. I would reccomend an HS-81MG servy by Hitec for a MRS4, but it is made to accept standard sized servos.

If you want something a bit diffierent, I can get you nre BRP SC18V2s, I am an Official BRP dealer. It is perfect for the gear you are using.
Old 2006.02.02, 02:06 AM   #4
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda787b
Ehh, don't get a Spy. Go for a Futaba MC230CR, at least you can use it with 540 motors if you ever go 1/10. Your componenets are perfect for a Micro RS4 kit. I would reccomend an HS-81MG servy by Hitec for a MRS4, but it is made to accept standard sized servos.

If you want something a bit diffierent, I can get you nre BRP SC18V2s, I am an Official BRP dealer. It is perfect for the gear you are using.
i looked at the brp v2, however, i really want to go w/ either a rs4 or m18 since they are both readily raced at the track that is closest to me...

would you recommend the rs4 over the xray m18?

also, i did look up that Futaba esc previously, i will never go back to larger scales, but i did notice it can handle 540 motors up to 13T i believe, so that means it prolly can handle any micro motor i throw at it...

let me know what necessary mods you would make to either of those cars, especially to handle well and run really fast...

thanks.

Last edited by builthatch; 2006.02.02 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2006.02.02, 07:15 AM   #5
madf1man
Bogus nachos

Xray for more serious racing and maybe the RS4.Its for thrashing in the street.Nothing else is really worth it unless its about a 1/2 the cost and that would be for the street also. Xray is fast out of the box, RS4 is top heavy.
madf1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.02.02, 01:09 PM   #6
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madf1man
Xray for more serious racing and maybe the RS4.Its for thrashing in the street.Nothing else is really worth it unless its about a 1/2 the cost and that would be for the street also. Xray is fast out of the box, RS4 is top heavy.
i think i am going with the xray. i see there is a graphite version...i have been told that the plastic is actually better for street since it's got more give...saves me $40 vs. the graphite, but, what do you think?

Old 2006.02.02, 04:30 PM   #7
joshsrchobbies
350z racer

Send a message via AIM to joshsrchobbies
The only problem with the graphite is it tends to break easy and scratch easy talking about the chassis . I whould go with the futaba esc or even brushless if you want to go relly fast . also go with a standard servo for better handling micro dosen't have enough torq . Thanks ,Josh
joshsrchobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.02.02, 10:22 PM   #8
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

this is what i am considering at this point-

Xray m18 plastic kit
Futaba mc330cr (since i like it can go down to 13T w/ a 540)
I have my 2pl, servo and RX

i just need to figure out a battery setup, an affordable charger and a HOT motor that will fit with no problems or mods...and any plugs i will need.

Old 2006.02.03, 05:03 PM   #9
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
this is what i am considering at this point-

Xray m18 plastic kit
Futaba mc330cr (since i like it can go down to 13T w/ a 540)
I have my 2pl, servo and RX

i just need to figure out a battery setup, an affordable charger and a HOT motor that will fit with no problems or mods...and any plugs i will need.
this is what i got today; was lucky and able to find a shop within an hour away who had it all!

m18 plastic kit
LRP 7.2 VTEC 1200 battery pack
Hitec hs-81mg micro servo
xray 42T spur
Futaba mc230cr ESC
xray alloy motor mount
Some trinity hot 300 motor, not sure of the name off hand, but it's nice ; )

How does this look? I hopefully will be allowed the time to assemble it tomorrow!

Old 2006.02.03, 06:45 PM   #10
Mazda787b

Nice, but I would run a Motek Panther V2 chassis. The Plastic chassis has too much flex for me. Not to mention, you cannot run a 6-cell sidexside pack on the stock chassis. But you got all the right components, it will be a very nice car. The Stock rims fit tight, I would reccomend picking up a set of HPI Mirco RS4 wheels (they are all the same) or something other than stock.

I have been racing motek M18s for awhile now, it is a solid chassis. The V2 is alot nicer than even the original, which was the best. Not to bombard you, but I have a fair amount of 1/18 stuff in my shop from before I went back to Zs. Email me if you would like anything for your M18.

I don't want
Old 2006.02.04, 11:35 AM   #11
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Nice, but I would run a Motek Panther V2 chassis. The Plastic chassis has too much flex for me. Not to mention, you cannot run a 6-cell sidexside pack on the stock chassis. But you got all the right components, it will be a very nice car. The Stock rims fit tight, I would reccomend picking up a set of HPI Mirco RS4 wheels (they are all the same) or something other than stock.

I have been racing motek M18s for awhile now, it is a solid chassis. The V2 is alot nicer than even the original, which was the best. Not to bombard you, but I have a fair amount of 1/18 stuff in my shop from before I went back to Zs. Email me if you would like anything for your M18.

I don't want
you are not kidding me that these wheels are tight! i put some grease in the slots, but man. i've had to take em on and off to try to loosen em up a litte. my fingers are busted from this!

so the rs4 wheels just slide on the same way, but easier?

my 6 cell pack is shotgun style...i can't use the side battery stops, but i put some shim inbetween the battery tie down and it keeps it snug. i had to remove the end caps on the pack too. no worries, should work...

but, on a side note- check this out. i dunno if it's me or what...

but, i was looking thru the bags last nite, and i noticed one of the pivot balls was off of a tree. i said "oh, it's surely in the bag" because those things are suspended on the tree with micro thin plastic. so i open the bag when it comes to it's turn, sort the parts, and it's totally not there. i mean its MIA completely. So i call the hobby shop i got the car from, and they tell me that its xray's fault and i should call them on Monday. Mind you, they have THREE, count 'em THREE trees on the walls in reserve, selling for 4.75. He said i can buy one. i said are you kidding me!!! i just spent, sh!t, 350+ yesterday and drove two hours total and you will make me drive there and spend the 4.75!!! i was SUPER irate...so the guy magically figures out that his 18 is down and he can spare a pivot bushing, however, he insisted that i call them on monday to get him a spare. i was so pissed man; and i never get upset or angry at anyone........................:argh: He said that warranties are to be handled thru the manufacturer and he is not at liberty to give parts away. i mean, you'd think i was asking for a chassis or body...

am i totally off base here or is this messed up?

Old 2006.02.04, 09:26 PM   #12
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

well, here is the piece-

the only wires i shortened were the power wires from the battery to the ESC, and this was because i needed to change the connector; also, i put a thicker gauge wire on the motor, but i plan on going ALOT bigger because i can. balance seems spot-on from east to west, i'd just like to maybe down the line shorten the wires on stuff, but not right now.

The body is the OE modena body, it's currently still drying awaiting a white final backing coat as it's flourescent pink/red.

i got the option 42T spur so i could get some ridiculous acceleration....the motor is a Trinity Mass Termination.

the only problems i'm having is the battery false peaked and lasted maybe a break-in process and some light laps in the garage, and during full throttle stabs, it sorta makes a snap sound, not sure what that is. sounds like it could be in one of the gear assemblies, but hard to tell since it only does it with load (on the ground)...i ahve not played with the front diff adjustment, i just did it according to stock, so i dunno. truthfully, i know nothing about this car; i just followed the directions and put it together, i dunno what's available or what is necessary to do for fine tuning.

BTW, it's hella fast ; )

Old 2006.02.04, 10:30 PM   #13
Mazda787b

Very nice looking car. It's a shame about the Pivot ball. Did it maybe fall out of the box and you did not notice it? I would have reccomended buying the tree just to have spares, they will wear out over time.

The MRS4 rims are the exact same, they just fit 100% better. Did yours come black or were they painted/dyed?

That is a nice car you have there, I wish I still had mine. It sort of makes me want another one.

Here is the only pic of mine I have left, sadly I sold it in August to buy a Losi XXXT MF1 I never did anything with. It had:

Motek Panther Pro 150mm chassis
JR XS3 PRo Tx W/RS310 Reciever
Motek CF Driveshaft
Aon 4900Kv motor
Mamba ESC
Kan1050 & GP1100 battery packs
HS81MG servo
TRC Foam Tires

Old 2006.02.04, 10:37 PM   #14
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Very nice looking car. It's a shame about the Pivot ball. Did it maybe fall out of the box and you did not notice it? I would have reccomended buying the tree just to have spares, they will wear out over time.

The MRS4 rims are the exact same, they just fit 100% better. Did yours come black or were they painted/dyed?

That is a nice car you have there, I wish I still had mine. It sort of makes me want another one.

Here is the only pic of mine I have left, sadly I sold it in August to buy a Losi XXXT MF1 I never did anything with. It had:

Motek Panther Pro 150mm chassis
JR XS3 PRo Tx W/RS310 Reciever
Motek CF Driveshaft
Aon 4900Kv motor
Mamba ESC
Kan1050 & GP1100 battery packs
HS81MG servo
TRC Foam Tires

thanks!

those wheels i painted w/ testors spray. they actually came out decent, but...i can't stand how tight they are on the hubs. i mean it's incredible! I might have to look into the rs4 wheels at some point.

i have to re-adjust to this speed, because my old 1/12 was like this but wasn't all freakin wheel drive and it's different than my mini-z in many many ways to say the least.

i cant imagine what a setup like the one you had would be like; christ, mine is bone stock and i'm amazed hehe.

did you get that shrink yet?

Old 2006.02.06, 12:47 AM   #15
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

here is my finished body- i haven't painted/ cut lexan since i was 13, so it's decent considering...

the color is like a neon red/ pink, it reflects a pink. kinda cool; i put a nice white cover coat behind it.

i need to finish the spoiler and add that too; i like it w/o one, but truthfully, the speeds this thing can hit i really believe i will need the spoiler.