Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.07.07, 02:43 PM   #1
mithuth
Rubbing is racing...

Send a message via AIM to mithuth Send a message via Yahoo to mithuth
Exclamation Helper Springs Idea

OK, I was watching some of the rock crawling events my friend has on tape. I noticed some things that gave me an idea for my MZM, and possibly for the OL as well.

I am going to try taking the softer (red) springs from the XMODS suspension kit and place them inside of the springs on the struts. Possibly as helper springs to make the ride a little stiffer. I will probably have to shave a little off of the upper strut body to allow suspension travel after the springs are in place, but that shouldn't be too much trouble.

Has anyone already tried this, or have any comments as to why this would or would not be a good idea?
Mini-Zs- Orange Mclaren MR-02, Yellow Enzo Autoscale, MZM Body 2
XMODS- 2x WRX, Black Skyline, Black Civic, 350Z, Silver RSX
mithuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.07.07, 04:53 PM   #2
saiyan
BooYa!!

There is a shock that pro-line puts out for the Maxxes and others with a similar idea, except that you have 2 shorter springs sittin on top of eachother of differring tension. Some on-road 1:10 guys at my track were runnin springs from an oval car inside of the kit spring to give a dual rate effect. These guys were already fast so i couldn't tell if they were lappin me any faster with this set up , but i know it didn't change their podium positions .

If your wanting to use your ride for crawlin then stiffness isn't going to help, but articulation and keeping your wheels on the ground will. If your wanting to take big jumps with out bottoming and smashing your suspension then i believe it will help. On my E-maxx i run springs on all 8 shocks that are 20% stiffer then stock and aluminum shocks with resevoirs and it seems to handle the jumps real well and some moderate rock crawlin easilly, but if i get more into the crawlin with it, i'll have to figure a way to cut the chassis and stuff in order to get more flex out of it. And i may have to either go back to the softer kit springs or maybe relocate them using a multi link set up.

MZM/04 and OLs are much lighter even for there scale so what works for 1:10 monstertrucks may not for them.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.07.07, 05:49 PM   #3
mithuth
Rubbing is racing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan
There is a shock that pro-line puts out for the Maxxes and others with a similar idea, except that you have 2 shorter springs sittin on top of eachother of differring tension. Some on-road 1:10 guys at my track were runnin springs from an oval car inside of the kit spring to give a dual rate effect. These guys were already fast so i couldn't tell if they were lappin me any faster with this set up , but i know it didn't change their podium positions .

If your wanting to use your ride for crawlin then stiffness isn't going to help, but articulation and keeping your wheels on the ground will. If your wanting to take big jumps with out bottoming and smashing your suspension then i believe it will help. On my E-maxx i run springs on all 8 shocks that are 20% stiffer then stock and aluminum shocks with resevoirs and it seems to handle the jumps real well and some moderate rock crawlin easilly, but if i get more into the crawlin with it, i'll have to figure a way to cut the chassis and stuff in order to get more flex out of it. And i may have to either go back to the softer kit springs or maybe relocate them using a multi link set up.

MZM/04 and OLs are much lighter even for there scale so what works for 1:10 monstertrucks may not for them.
I don't do much climbing, other than the occational parking lot jump. I bounce out through the grass and up the small hill by my house, but no slow climbing for me. I mostly rip around on cement and in gravel, so I figured I could get away with a little something stiffer in the suspension department.

I was also curious about hte function of the foam wheel inserts. Are these more for on road use? I'm guessing it makes the tire stiffer to grip more.
Old 2005.07.07, 06:31 PM   #4
mithuth
Rubbing is racing...

OK, I did what I was trying to do. Here's the unofficial tutorial:

Step1:
Remove your stock springs

Step2
Separate all the parts of the springs

Here's the two springs together (The red ones are the soft springs in the Xmods suspension upgrade)

Step3:
Gather all the parts and line up the springs and strut components

Step4:
Reassemble the struts and springs like this

Step5:
Enjoy your stiffer suspension

If you are worried about suspension travel, I suggest cutting off a few coils of the springs. Be carefull to keep them all even.

I am going out to run it around a while and see how I like it. I'm sure there will be a few bouncing issues since the springs are a bit stiffer, but I don't climb much so it shouldn't bother me.

Last edited by mithuth; 2005.07.07 at 06:36 PM.
Old 2005.07.08, 07:42 PM   #5
mithuth
Rubbing is racing...

Welp, it seems to handle the bumps a little better, but I rebroke the front upper strut bracket. I have a naluminum one on the way, it should be here in the next couple days. I'll play test it a bit more then. So far, I'm pretty happy.
Old 2005.07.09, 05:12 PM   #6
mithuth
Rubbing is racing...

Ok, after fixing the strut brace and racing a while, I decided I like it better without the helper springs. I think I'll work on some sort of brush guard/push bar for the front to help deflect some of the impact on the front.