Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.01.22, 10:34 PM   #1
ghost chili

KT-432PT radio throttle issues

Hi everyone,

I purchased a KT-432PT SyncroTouch radio and bound it to the FWD Mini-Z. Love the touch interface and how adjustable it is compared to the included KT-531P radio. One problem I'm having is how the radio wants to make the forwards speed slower than reverse. Out of the box, my FWD with the included radio defaulted with the forward speed faster than reverse.

I tried the usual manner of correcting it: swapping the motor leads and reversing the throttle channel. No help, forward speed was still slower than reverse. It was as if the radio knew which direction the motor was turning and wanted that to be slower in one direction. To rule out it being the car, I bound the car back to the included radio and all worked as it should with forward being faster. Back to the SyncroTouch and forward became slower.

I tried adjusting endpoints on the throttle channel and that was no help. I've been sitting here thinking about this issue for the past 15 minutes and can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but if anyone of you guys here has a suggestion, I'm all up for trying it. It's maddeningly frustrating that a supposedly better radio performs worse than the one included in the kit.

Thanks.
ghost chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.22, 10:37 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I have no experience with this radio, but could it be in a training mode of sorts? Maybe there is a reset or calibration mode on the radio?
Old 2019.01.23, 07:03 AM   #3
herman

If I remember, initial bind is defaulted to training mode with the stock radio... not sure how to bind it with the the synchro touch in regular / standard mode...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.23, 08:35 AM   #4
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

It seems to have something to do with Channel 3 or 4 not to mention selecting the correct output on the radio itself. Best bet would be a quick call to Kyosho America @ 1-800-715-4518 and ask for help.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.23, 08:47 AM   #5
ghost chili

Thanks for the input. Yes, the FWD Mini-Z came in training mode straight out of the box. However, it is very noticeably slower in training mode than in regular. Binding the car to the KT-432PT there was no feeling of it being in training mode. The throttle was very responsive and at 100% per the graphics on the radio. The speed difference between forward and reverse seems as if the radio is purposefully "advance timing" the motor, but in one direction only (or retarding timing in one direction). I didn't think the Mini-Z motors were ever timed advanced or retarded so they should exhibit the same RPMs in either direction if given the same throttle input.

Binding the car back to the included radio did not put it back to training mode. Since I left all the settings as-is, the car behaved exactly as if it had never been unbound.

I guess what I don't understand is how the KT-432PT knows that I'm trying to trick it by reversing the motor leads and reversing the channel. I believe I am doing that trick correctly, yes? At least I recall that was what I did back with my old AM/FM radios some 10 years ago.

I did reach out to Kyosho for some assistance. I guess we will see what they say. I'll report back here with the results.
Old 2019.01.23, 01:03 PM   #6
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Did you try to reverse the servo setting in the radio for channel 2?
Old 2019.01.23, 06:33 PM   #7
ghost chili

Yes. That was the first thing I tried. No matter what I do, the radio makes the motor turn faster in the reverse direction. Swapping motor leads does nothing.
Old 2019.01.23, 07:52 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

To clarify, the transmitter when driven in reverse is always faster than when driven forward (regardless if the motor is spinning forwards or reverse)?
Old 2019.01.23, 10:45 PM   #9
ghost chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
To clarify, the transmitter when driven in reverse is always faster than when driven forward (regardless if the motor is spinning forwards or reverse)?
Correct.

My next course of action is to try a factory reset and see if that helps. I think I've pretty much exhausted my options exploring and tinkering with various settings, as well as researching what I can online. One thing is for sure, this is a fairly advanced transmitter.

According to the Kyosho website, the KT-432PT radio requires a firmware update in order to bind with the Mini-Z RWD and FWD. Mine came direct from Japan and already had the updated firmware installed (listing "Mini-Z FHSS" as an option). Oddly enough, there was a piece of masking tape with some numbers scribbled on it taped to the base of the transmitter. The box was sealed with a piece of tape and everything was bagged up, so I assume it was factory sealed. Perhaps it was used. It was in Japanese as default language and had some random settings already programmed as the default.

Guess I'll give Kyosho America a call in the next day or two and see what they say if this factory reset doesn't work.

Last edited by ghost chili; 2019.01.23 at 10:48 PM.
Old 2019.01.23, 11:13 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

It is not unusual for the motor to spin faster unloaded in reverse than forward (tested by hooking directly to a fixed pwr source) , but it is unusual for throttle to be lower than reverse coming from the radio or ESC. My understanding is that there is no ICS functionality on these circuit boards, and your results with the stock radio differing fron the new radio support that.

Have you tried throttle curve and punch settings, or seen if the hipoint for throttle can go higher?
Old 2019.01.24, 05:53 AM   #11
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
It is not unusual for the motor to spin faster unloaded in reverse than forward (tested by hooking directly to a fixed pwr source) , but it is unusual for throttle to be lower than reverse coming from the radio or ESC. My understanding is that there is no ICS functionality on these circuit boards, and your results with the stock radio differing fron the new radio support that.

Have you tried throttle curve and punch settings, or seen if the hipoint for throttle can go higher?
You ordered this radio directly from Japan? if so you are quite likely going to run into warranty issues when dealing with Kyosho of America. They will be able to give you good information but beyond that you will have to deal with Kyosho Japan for warranty consideration or support. The companies are separate entities. This was first encountered several years ago when Kyosho first released the ASF cars. The gotta have it now crowd ordered direct from Japan and found that all warranty actions couldn't be handled by Kyosho USA. This could have changed by now but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Old 2019.01.24, 09:09 PM   #12
ghost chili

I actually bought the transmitter on Amazon from a seller in Japan. I believe I would have Amazon's return policy should things not work out for me.

I did mess with throttle curve and punch, which did affect the throttle, but did not change top speed. I did mess with the end points of both reverse and forward and found that if I limited revers to about 85%, it would have a similar sounding rpm as forwards. Since I felt I was getting nowhere with tinkering with settings I went for the factory reset.

Oddly enough, a factory reset did remedy the issue. After the reset, I bound the radio to the car again and now both directions turned with similar speeds. I'm very happy the issue was cleared with a reset, but now I'm very curious if the radio was indeed used and resold. At any rate, things are seemingly working quite well with the proper firmware updates installed and the throttle issue fixed. If it was used, oh well. I'm just glad I got it working again. Perhaps if anyone else gets this radio and has this issue, they would find this thread and have their throttle woes fixed via a factory reset. Many thanks for the helpful replies! I'm planning to buy a few of the receivers that go with this transmitter to put in my 1/10 cars so I can stick with the one transmitter for them all.
Old 2019.01.24, 10:20 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Glad that you have resolved the issue. They could have flashed the firmware, but not reset the settings after the flash which could have caused the issue. Thats about all that I could think about it on my end.

I want to thank you for sharing your information here on MZR rather than using social media. Your story and resolution are saved in an easily searchable interface, rather than being buried on the news of the minute social media sites. I am always willing to go far above the call of duty to post detailed information here on MZR, but will only scratch the surface of things on social media as it will be washed away by the next tide.
Old 2019.01.25, 05:25 AM   #14
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
Glad that you have resolved the issue. They could have flashed the firmware, but not reset the settings after the flash which could have caused the issue. Thats about all that I could think about it on my end.

I want to thank you for sharing your information here on MZR rather than using social media. Your story and resolution are saved in an easily searchable interface, rather than being buried on the news of the minute social media sites. I am always willing to go far above the call of duty to post detailed information here on MZR, but will only scratch the surface of things on social media as it will be washed away by the next tide.
Well said.
Old 2019.01.25, 09:22 AM   #15
ghost chili

Thanks, guys. Yes, sharing my experience on a specific forum was my intent. Both to try and gain more information from those who are more likely to have had the same issue and have more expertise than I, and to create a record of the issue and remedy to help any others in the future. I've been helped countless times on various issues of all sorts by doing searches on forums and finding archived threads documenting a similar issue to mine.