Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.04.24, 02:36 AM   #1
TNB
Pet Human

Las Vegas, Nevada - Cutting Edge Indoor R/C

Las Vegas, Nevada - Cutting Edge Indoor R/C

This new Indoor R/C facility is around 15,000 square feet and had it's grand opening yesterday (Saturday, April 22, 2006). There were a lot of people running off-road electrics, including minis.

However, today something else happened. What you may wonder--well, I hauled all my 50cm RCP Track onroad layouts up to Cutting Edge Indoor R/C and set it up. For those who don't know how much RCP Track I have, check out the track section at Gallery TNB. Photos of the new layout are also in the same photo album.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album179

Link to one photo of the current layout.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/...CP042306_2red2

Eventually, this RCP Track may be expanded enough to run 1/12th scale--that's right, 1/12th scale.

For more information:

Cutting Edge Indoor R/C
2640 W. Brooks
Las Vegas, NV 89032
(702) 222-3343
http://www.cutting-edgerc.com

Electrics only
NO Monster Trucks like the Traxass E-Maxx.
Minis are allowed.
TNB's RCP Track is also in place!

*As of April 14, 2006, no LiPos until further notice.
Old 2006.04.24, 01:58 PM   #2
ARN

looks sweet, i cant wait to visit...can you get a GTG together? (pending locals interest)
ARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.24, 02:03 PM   #3
ARN

looks like i missed the grand opening!...
anyway, whats all the classes this place will host? (ive been looking for a reason to get a new assoicated 1/18 buggy)
and a 1/12 pan
Old 2006.04.24, 03:32 PM   #4
TNB
Pet Human

Regarding the offroad track and the minis, they are pretty much grouped together until more and more people start running (but see below). Eventually, I see the motor class and "type" classes being split up as more people run. Consequently, a Losi Mini-T may end up running against an AE RC18B or even a KMI. Ironically, the KMIs are selling there now since it is at a "track" unlike before when they basically sat in a LHS elsewhere.

Over all the AE RC18B is selling like crazy since the AE RC18T and B are pretty good stock out-of-the-box, more places carry parts, and is less expensive compared to some of the others. More and more females are also running as well since they are coming with their boyfriends and husbands.

And although more people are going brushless which may help a few of the others, lipos are not currently allowed thanks to the actions of a couple of individuals--a downside if anyone wants to run a KMI in my opinion. However, I know my brushless KMI has too much speed anyway for the track so dropping from a 3-cell lipo to a 6-cell match pack may not be so bad (though I already own an RC18T with that set-up).

The other classes have been divided into mod, stock, and novice. I believe the 4WDs have been running mod. I would also use a lower KV or higher turn brushless motor whether it is for a mini or for the larger scales--a few have already tried to run the "faster" brushless motors and have had to slow down their RCs or just loose it in the turns. Most of the larger scales being ran are Kyosho, AE, and Losi. A couple of people have showed up with Duratrax. However, the shop itself stocks parts for Kyosho, AE, and Losi. The LHS is also carrying charging brands like Competition Electronics as well as some low end brands.

I doubt if a GTG would be any problem, especially if you brought your timing system. However, I would bring extra crystals since I can't see the owner tying up the rest of the track. There is also more space available for a larger setup--where we've spoke about setting up a 1/12th scale RCP Track. It was actually my idea to leave the RCP Track set up in the front in an attempt to have more exposure and gather more interest--then move it into the back and set up a larger track. The only bad thing about the front area is that pit space would be very limited since the pit tables are in the next room next to the off-road track. By regulation space, there is currently enough pit space for 80 racers.

I have numerous photos, but they are either hosted elsewhere or have yet to be uploaded. I've also burned off a couple disks worth of photos for the owner so they will probably show up on his website--many in raw photo format.

And since I took half-vacation day, I may just go run a Mini-Z or two.
Old 2006.04.24, 05:20 PM   #5
ARN

ya, id be more than happy to bring the core system....though it may be a few months before i can make it down.....we can e- about it...
Old 2006.04.25, 03:08 PM   #6
saiyan
BooYa!!

Man, i need to come up there and check this fascility out. I missed out when you had that garage space with all that track layed out, so i need to get up off my lazy butt and come up there. I was thinking about coming up there to Vegas for the Supercross, but it would be expensive to do for me right now. A trip up to hang out in a hobby shop would prove cheaper though i think. I have an HPI Pro4 i could also bring to run on the big track.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.25, 08:21 PM   #7
TNB
Pet Human

I guess it depends on the LHS, especially since I know of one that has the Kyosho Truggy and the 777 SP2 in stock. Toss in the electronics, engine, and option parts...

Here is more information regarding the local area tracks and hobby shops.

Boulder City Raceway (Offroad, as well as 1/4 scale onroad).
1101 Quail Dr.
Boulder City, NV 89005
http://www.vegasrc.com (has maps to BC, Finihline & Outer Limits, Race information)
http://www.qsara.org

Cutting Edge Indoor R/C (Electric only, NO Monster Trucks like the Traxass E-Maxx. Minis are allowed. An RCP Track is also in place.)*
2640 W. Brooks
Las Vegas, NV 89032
(702) 222-3343
*As of April 14, 2006, it appears that LiPos are not to be used until further notice. If there are any questions, call Cutting-Edge Indoor R/C.

Finishline R/C Raceway (Usually Saturdays & Sundays, some Fridays)
1000 N Nellis, Suite B
Las Vegas, NV 89110

Outer Limits Raceway (May be closing, call first for information)
2365 Iron Avenue
Sandy Valley, NV 89019
702-723-5243
http://outerlimitsraceway.com

4Aces Racing (Silverbowl on-road track with nearby off-road track)
http://www.4acesracing.net
--See Directions below, except the "car" tracks are behind the soccer fields--first right before the soccer field begins. If you have passed the giant Soccer ball which appears to be on a giant golf tee, you've gone too far.

Las Vegas Soaring Club
http://www.lasvegassoaring.org
-LVSC Flying Field
-Bennett Field (near the Silverbowl)
quote:

From I-15 North or South: Exit to 95 South - Exit Russell Road about 6 miles. Left to the Sam Boyd Stadium, Left past stadium, Right behind the stadium then left to the flying field.

From the Las Vegas Strip: Take any East West Named street (Tropicana, Flamingo, Sahara etc.) east. When you get to the 95 Highway Exit take I 95 South to Russell Road. Exit Russell Road . Left to the Sam Boyd Stadium, Left past stadium, Right behind the stadium, then left to the flying field.

Hobby Stores

C2Hobbies (Boulder City)
1404A Nevada Hwy (Next to the A&W on the left hand side if driving from LV into BC.)
Boulder City, Nevada
(702) 293-5715

Cutting Edge Indoor R/C (N. Las Vegas)
2640 W. Brooks
Las Vegas, NV 89032
(702) 222-3343

Danseys (N. Las Vegas)
741 N. Nellis Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89110
(702) 453-RACE
http://www.danseys.com

Hobby People
(702) 871-6191
2610 S Decatur Blvd - Las Vegas, NV (near Sahara)

Hobby People Shack Inc
(702) 547-2204
5466 Boulder Hwy - Las Vegas, NV (near Tropicanna)

Hobbytown USA
(702) 889-9554
5085 W Sahara Ave Ste 134 - Las Vegas, NV (near Decatur)
www.hobbytown.com

Hobbytown USA
(702) 451-4400
2803 N Green Valley Pkwy - Henderson, NV

Nice Twice Hobbies & Sports
(702) 876-2280
3111 S Valley View Blvd - Las Vegas, NV

BC Track(s) Schedule (there is also going to be a point series between the BC track and Finishline starting the first weekend in May held on Saturdays).

MARCH 4: SILVERSTATE WARM UP CLUB RACE
MARCH 5: OPEN PRACTICE-OFFROAD
MARCH 17-18: QUARTER SCALE OVAL EVENT
MARCH 29: APRIL 2: SILVER STATE NITRO CHALLENGE- SOLD OUT
APRIL 22: FUN DAY PRACTICE BOTH TRACKS HOSTED BY QSARA
MAY 13: FUN DAY PRACTICE BOTH TRACKS HOSTED BY QSARA
MAY 20-21: 1/10 OVAL ONROAD EVENT HOSTED BY QSARA
MAY 26-28: R/C PRO OFFROAD SERIES ROUND 1-MORE INFO
JUNE 10: FUN NIGHT PRACTICE BOTH TRACKS HOSTED BY QSARA
JULY 8: FUN NIGHT PRACTICE BOTH TRACKS HOSTED BY QSARA
AUGUST 11-12: QUARTER SCALE OVAL EVENT HOSTED BY QSARA
AUGUST 26: FUN NIGHT PRACTICE BOTH TRACKS HOSTED BY QSARA
SEPTEMBER 9: FUN NIGHT PRACTICE BOTH TRACKS HOSTED BY QSARA
SEPTEMBER 21-24: ROAR OFFROAD TRUCK NATIONALS
OCTOBER 4-7: QUARTER SCALE OVAL EVENT HOSTED BY QSARA
NOVEMBER 2-5: OFFROAD EVENT, TBA
NOVEMBER 17-18: QUARTER SCALE OVAL EVENT HOSTED BY QSARA
NOVEMBER 25: FUN DAY PRACTICE BOTH TRACKS HOSTED BY QSARA
Old 2006.05.15, 06:10 PM   #8
TNB
Pet Human

Cutting Edge has recently added carpet for touring and oval racing.
Old 2006.05.31, 10:33 AM   #9
TNB
Pet Human

I'm also plan on pulling out my RCP Track today.
Old 2006.05.31, 12:43 PM   #10
ARN

there was no mini-z interest? i was hoping that they would really jump on the band wagon...
Old 2006.05.31, 11:49 PM   #11
TNB
Pet Human

It doesn't bother me, really it doesn't. More photos in my RCU Gallery.

My HPI Baja 5B 1/5th scale buggy making a giant roost in Boulder City, Nevada.
Old 2006.06.01, 12:48 AM   #12
herman

hi tnb...

got a couple of questions re: rcp tracks and 1/18 scales... how's does the track hold up to them? do they wear down faster? as in does more rcp track dust show up when you use the bigger 1/18 scales? what about brushless 1/18 scales? i figure it'll wear the track down a bit more faster compared to say brushed motored 1/18's...

what was the reason for not allowing lipo batts? and lastly which side of the rcp track are you using? (or should i say did you guys use?)

thanks for any reply...

cool 1/5th baja pic...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.01, 03:03 AM   #13
TNB
Pet Human

NetZone in Rialto, California has probably been racing 1/18th scales as much as Mini-Zs. They also didn't change out the track when the PNWC qualifier was held there in 2005. I guess what I am getting to is that it didn't seem to bother their track at all.

Here RCP Tracks (textured side) never really seem to catch on since most would simply run 1/18ths on the off-road track in the room next to where the RCP Track was located. The LHS also don't care Kyosho Mini-Zs so even when I was asked where they could be purchased, I could not refer them to anywhere in town and of course, the LHS where my RCP Track was set up didn't have any in stock. In reality, the track also needed to be expanded more to run 1/18th scale onroad; however, since the owners of the LHS recently laid down ozite carpet, I really couldn't see anyone running 1/18th scales on a smaller RCP Track, especially without any promotion.

If it were my LHS, I would have stocked at least a couple of Kyosho Mini-Zs and contacted Radio Shack. The Xmoders could then have used the RCP Track and then either upgraded to the Kyosho Mini-Z or even the FM Iwaver as a stepping stone of 1/18th scale and above, which the LHS sell.

Lipos are not allowed because someone had one explode and because someone else left a swollen pack lying around or attempted to hide it without telling the owner--both probably within one week. And since the LHS doesn't sell lipos, it's also no gain on his part of he allows them. If anything, it is more of a liability issue if he does allow lipos.

Thanks for the comment about the photo. I'm finding out that it is being fast spread around the web. I did post it in a few places, but I'm getting more requests and comments about others or from others who are posting it on other forums. I also provided a couple of photos to HPI Racing since one of the distributors informed me that they were better than the promo photos he received--They want to use those in Shanghai this weekend.

Last edited by TNB; 2006.06.01 at 03:07 AM.
TNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.02, 04:54 AM   #14
herman

... sigh... too bad for the shop... a sure way to earn a couple of bucks, had he stocked some mini-z's... and you're right, they are a good stepping stone to the 1/18 and bigger scales...

that 1/5 is pretty big... the biggest i've seen over here is er rather was 1/8 on road & off road... (on-road track was taken down a long time ago... besides, getting into it wasn't getting any cheaper... off road was doing ok for some time, then interest kinda waned... then the track owner decided to convert his track to on-road 1/10th scale...) congrats again on your pic...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote