Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.08.11, 03:02 PM   #31
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC View Post
, I'll pay for this buggy even if It means having to sell my left kidney.
Sounds like you have a few Kyosho tattoos....
Im going to get one as well but Im gonna really hate it if very few people buy them and I only get to race it once....
We all know the mini z crowd is a special group and in the competitive racing area it is always the same few with only a few new racers.....
I really dont want this to be a shelf queen like my other off road kyoshos.....
The kool thing to try and we did this with the Kyosho Half Eight Buggies back in the day at Potbellys in Vineland, NJ We turned our off road buggies in to Formula 1 buggies..... We basically set them up to run on a carpeted road course......
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 03:32 PM   #32
JAC

That's the spirit!! I just found and ordered 3 new bodies for my collection, old but desirable. Got them cheap too so I can't complain! The buggy will do just fine, if there is one notable difference from other markets its that here in the US people like to run RCs in the dirt. I'm a road enthusiast myself, maybe that's why I'm so neurotic and frustrated. Thank the heavens for my mini-zs and slot cars, that calm me down. And here I am cheering for the new buggy!! Go figure!!!
JAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 05:34 PM   #33
color01

Yeah, never underestimate the USA bash/destroy/pay-for-more market. A buggy that's driveable outside on the street, no matter how small, is going to sell for good amounts. Xmods are still pretty popular for bashing, and if the Mini-Z buggy occupies that niche, I'm cool with that -- Kyosho's not going to build an off-road vehicle that can't take a few bumps and scrapes. I'm happily saving up for one, even if it doesn't get raced it'll be in my cargo pants pocket when I'm out camping, with friends, in the park, etc. etc.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 05:49 PM   #34
JAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
even if it doesn't get raced it'll be in my cargo pants pocket when I'm out camping, with friends, in the park, etc. etc.
Absolutely, for those with a pickup truck, you might be able to put some dirt in the back and build a track, jumps and all!!! Heck, I may be able to race it in the back of my SUV
Old 2011.08.11, 05:56 PM   #35
CristianTabush

From a Racer's point of view, I think if the clubs take the time to make some off-road jumps for their Mini-Z Tracks, these will fit in nicely and bring in some fresh blood into the sport in the cold winter months.

It will never compete with off-road racing, because they are simply too small, but it has potential to bring converts into our quirky little Mini-Z World. Mini-Z is what it is, a nice little niche where we all like to converge. Some of us are racers, some of us are collectors, others are bashers, but we all love Mini-Z.

I think that as racers, we can blow these up if we try to give them a chance. For those of you with RC Clubs where it gets cold in the winter, this is the perfect way to bait some off roaders into trying Mini-Z. With so many Losi Micro SC Trucks/rally cars and Micro T's out there, the people will come out of the woodwork to run these little things during the cold if you make it accesible to race these. It will also be something different that might inject a little life back into racing "Indoor Mini-Z off-road racing" could be the next big thing. And not to mention Off-Road is a blast! it takes an entirely different skill set.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 05:56 PM   #36
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
You have to be careful in comparisons to xmods. One could easily argue there popularity is based on very low cost compared to Kyosho products and they could be bought locally at any RS store. We had years of tit for tat debates about where the similarities and differences lie in RS vs. Kyosho. Pay for play means a whole lot more when your talking $200 vs $50-75 and possibly having to order everything online. Even now, finding a hobby shop with mini-z is not easy except for ny and ca maybe.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 06:04 PM   #37
arch2b

The gateway model for winter months has not proven very successful either. This was said with the release of each micro buggy, truck so far and It has not caught on in any of our local clubs, hobb shops or the like. It sounds nice each time we hear it but for the mist part Ive dismissed this notion. I'm sure it's worked in a few place but we just don't see the evidence of this on forums, blogs, etc. I wish it were true, I really do. I have a couple losi things that I'd love to actually use once in awhile but they never brought anyone in or kept any interest up to continue with them.

There are rcp jumps and obstacles already made from the overland racing days which should suit these fine. I have not seen them sold in awhile though. Perhaps John can be convinced to make updates.
Old 2011.08.11, 06:12 PM   #38
bermbuster
GF Racing

What I saw when I lived in NJ...the micro t and its variants came out and we tried racing them. Making jumps and or obstacles that dont move and or wreak havoc on rcp was challenging. Since RCP has released offroad foam tiles. I have yet to see them or experience how they work. (are they still available?) The other issue is if only a few guys show up the cost factor comes in for the track/shop. I am a mini z maniac and I try to think positive......

What is funny now that Im on the west coast I noticed the blacktop is smoother than what we have on the east coast (mostly weather related issues) I have been running my mr-02 pan car in the parking lot of my apt complex. I put some tape on the bottom of the chassis. So running the new buggy outside will be awesome....
when are they releasing them???
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 07:03 PM   #39
JAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
It will never compete with off-road racing, because they are simply too small.
If you mean they'll never be as successful as other off-road classes, you are right. But they don't need to be, and still be a hit in sales. Most of us don't compete yet we are still the majority, we make up the bulk of all sales. If we buy enough of them, they'll be a success. With this success in sales, competition will follow. As for being small, that has not stopped the Zs from being a very competitive class around the world.
Old 2011.08.12, 06:35 AM   #40
JAC

How about some motor drive-train speculation if they intend to make it a reasonably robust dirt platform. How many of us think they will just carry over the mini z specs over to the new buggy. Or will they give it a new more rigid and powerful motor. All of this based on the same battery-power layout(4 triple AAAs).
Old 2011.08.12, 06:40 AM   #41
arch2b

little surprised it won't be using the LiFe cells. odd how they made these and then exclude them from all their events. it really could have been a saddle pack similar to the half eight.
Old 2011.08.12, 06:54 AM   #42
JAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
little surprised it won't be using the LiFe cells. odd how they made these and then exclude them from all their events. it really could have been a saddle pack similar to the half eight.
Certainly this would be the perfect moment to start offering the option(ifThey could still keep the AAAs) for us to change the battery configuration right of the bat. Yet they may also think this would distance the product from first time buyers(if they do away with the AAAs all together). Me personally like the option of extending the run time specially if they include a more powerful motor.
Old 2011.08.12, 06:57 AM   #43
arch2b

well, lets hope the battery compartments are LiFe compatible. those add some serious speed to a mini-z and i imagine would be great for the buggy. it could be very much like the half eight in that it would take 4 standard cells and cell packs.
Old 2011.08.12, 07:27 AM   #44
JAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
well, lets hope the battery compartments are LiFe compatible. those add some serious speed to a mini-z and i imagine would be great for the buggy. it could be very much like the half eight in that it would take 4 standard cells and cell packs.
Can you infer anything by just looking at the underside photos?
Old 2011.08.12, 07:48 AM   #45
kyoshosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamer View Post
next big new's probable the Bike. Tube circulating in the web with it.
It could be.... but it could also be the new DSlot43 that hasn't been released yet...

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/2011/0...o-dslot43.html
kyoshosan is offline   Reply With Quote