Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2001.12.03, 01:00 AM   #1
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Antenna Shorting on Battery Terminals

Need a general topic for things that just dont fit... any way..

I was messing with my custom antenna, was very carful not to touch it to the motor and batery wires etc... well I bumped it agains the battery tab... one that just barely extends past the plastic... I saw smoke... almost through the car across the room... turned it on.. to test it, and.... nothing was wrong! at least I have yet to notice anything. There was a LOT of smoke coming out of it... It was coming out of the front right, antenna side, of the top cover.

It does kinda jitter a bit more... but that was probly cuz I was messing with the antenna lengths etc... but it jitters like crazy when I touch the antenna... not sure if it did that before... It also apears to be more receptive to acceleration-motor interferance, wich I never had a problem with before. Range apears to be shorter, then the 60 foot I was getting with my homebrew antenna... but again might be cuz I was goofing round with bending my antenna shorter etc... Heck maybe my batteries are dead in the controller (they were recently on the charger should not have been more then 1 or 2 hrs of use on them).

If it did not do that before..... I was thinking, maybe some of the ppl that have extra jittery cars, have some how unkowningly, or maybe before they bought it, burnt someting like I just did, whatever part it is, I have no clue. Maybe its letting interferance through or someting.... I cant "see" any burnt parts... maybe I was lucky and it was just the antenna wire I was using getting hot and burning debris off of it. Maybe it was the under side potentiometer, I aint taking it apart to find out.
Old 2001.12.03, 04:18 PM   #2
Draconious

Figures after a re-charge of my transmitter batteries, it still seems to pick up the slitest bit of interferance... maybe some sort of filter was blown out. Current distance is like 5 foot.
Old 2001.12.03, 07:34 PM   #3
Cory-Z
Addicted Miniz Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Cory-Z Send a message via AIM to Cory-Z Send a message via Yahoo to Cory-Z
i have the same problem(sorta)

my car always ran smooth as anything fairly stock, little handling mods. Then after playing with the servo too much (replacing a million servo's ), i had the green and orange re-saudered back on, coz they fell off from getting moved around too much. Also, after i put in the eagle turbo+xspeed, i've been getting a nasty case of twitching and uncontrollability

I can't figure it out, i have a feeling the turbo is messing it up bad, i think i've forced myself into getting a new radio.

Sorry , this reply isn't really help, just telling u my probs
Porsche gt3/Viper body _ Full spring kit, knuckles, reinforced bulkhead, Kyosho - blue chassis, king pins, 6 spoke (OZ style) wheels, stabilizer bar, X-speed+turbo, bearings. rear shock, side damper, Gpm metal servo gears, etc. etc. basically fully moded -
Cory-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2001.12.04, 07:53 PM   #4
mark kiriacos
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to mark kiriacos
I have had same probs off loss of control five feet away, this is because I failed to take out batteries while meesing around. I will never leave batteries again while body is off just too risky. Now I have sent esc for repair. This has happened before for me and is such a small mistake that it seems that mini makers should have found a way to prevent this. Does anyone know how to replace parts on esc?
Mark
mark kiriacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2001.12.04, 08:50 PM   #5
Cory-Z

Send a message via ICQ to Cory-Z Send a message via AIM to Cory-Z Send a message via Yahoo to Cory-Z
What kinda setup?

hey guys, just wondering what kind of setups u guys have when they twitched.
Mine is as good as new with the stock motor, but i seem to get horrible twitiching with the turbo+xspeed. I really hope i haven't damaged anything.
Porsche gt3/Viper body _ Full spring kit, knuckles, reinforced bulkhead, Kyosho - blue chassis, king pins, 6 spoke (OZ style) wheels, stabilizer bar, X-speed+turbo, bearings. rear shock, side damper, Gpm metal servo gears, etc. etc. basically fully moded -
Old 2001.12.04, 09:28 PM   #6
Draconious

My current theory is that there is a filter type set of resisters circut whatever you want to call it... that when the antenna touches the front right side battery terminal (maybe the others too), shorts the filter thing out... cuz right now the slightest bit of interferance messes it up... even just touching the antenna...

the motor realy interfers with it now, it never so much as flinched when the motor was powered before.. now its totaly random.

So maybe the Turbos are also by passing this filter... as well as the ESC... and thats why some of the Turbo web pages recomend further modification of the capicotors on the motor wires and motor the 104 things...

also any one that sends it in for replacement PLEASE!!! tell them to log what parts were replaced on the board, so we can also fix it...

i sent an email about my problem, their respons was basicly "We have no clue what would cause that, but we will fix it for you..."
just how do you fix it if you dont know what is wrong?

Its realy annoying now.... cant drive as fun as I use too. I even tried FRESh batteries in my TX, only a 1% change but at least for the better.... figures, all my antennas wont work now, not even my 60 foot range antenna!!!!, they are all 4 to 6 foot max range, as if i didnt even have an antenna... so maybe thats were it disconnected... I just cant see any scorch marks or anything....
Old 2001.12.05, 04:26 AM   #7
Cory-Z

Yea Drac, mine is like that too....basically the same way i would explain my cars probs

There's one thing i can't understand though. When i put the stock motor back in. It runs perfectly...no twitching or anything (have a .001uF capacitor in motor leads) .

- But with the turbo and xspeed in, it sometimes gets to point where i likes to drive into walls on it's own

I'm assuming this los of control is just a more serious case of twitching.

After playing the antenna on the radio a bit, i realized when it's all the way down, i barely get a foot....all the way up helps alot.

I've had thoughts that it sometimes twitches and losses control because it's picking up signals from everything around it, and the stock KT-2 radio isn't emmitting a strong enought signal anymore. They seem to be notorious for malfunctioning .

Well, tomorrow I'm gonna buy the Perfex EX-11, (the sooweet one =) ) I'll let u guys know if it helps at all.

we might be having the same probs drac. I'll spend the green on a new radio and let u know the results
Old 2001.12.08, 11:21 PM   #8
importmini

when i do stuff to the car i usually put sum rubber covering, u know the rubber tube thats in the knex sets, i cut a slit down the whole side so i can flex it open, i pop that on the antennae and do what i need to do, even if it does touch anyhting i wont mess it up. but i still do take out the batteries even when i do have this on. justa a sugesstion so u can prevent problems
Old 2001.12.20, 02:19 AM   #9
Draconious

Just an update to my short out... I came to the conclusion that the smokeing was indeed from my batteries at least most of it was.. i accidently touched a short with the discharger same thing happen, but I didnt have my esc/rx board any were near by so it wasnt that smoking it was my Energizers... wich is probly also why I had funky run times... my Z apears to be running normaly again after recycling my batteries, but I have yet to test the total range again... i will put my 60 foot indoor range antenna back on and see if I can walk to other end of house again... current antennas ive been using since recharge cycle... were only like 16 foot... but thats still more then out of the box range.

with any luck my Z is ok... maybe it was the material I made my antenna out of it, had too much resistance to conduct the short to another area... or some mumbo jumbo like that.
Old 2002.07.16, 03:57 PM   #10
gloveman
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to gloveman
My Short Story

I think I may have shorted my antenna the other night in the heat of a mid-race repair. Smelled burnt electrics and the range is now 20 feet. Who do you send a mini-z to for repairs? How much does it cost?

I saw on one of the Turbo sites that you can remove the filter pot on the board and solder the antenna lead directly to that spot on the board to get rid of Turbo twitch. Do you think that would work for a range fix too?
gloveman is offline   Reply With Quote