Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.07.12, 04:53 PM   #1
byebye

Another Pro-Z resurrection

As the title states yet another Pro-Z comes out from the darkness of forgotten projects and parts.

As most of you may know I have moved back to VA and am reunited with my old crew. The family and I recently visited with Arch2b and his family for their little ones birthday. Of course no visit would be complete withouth Arch2b setting up track and all of us running some cars around for fun. He and I had some time to talk cars and do some tuning on his HFAY car. I don't remember how we got on the subject of the Pro-Z but he pulled it from his storage and the wife and I checked it out.

The Pro-Z is an all carbon chassis. I think maybe the first carbon chassis to come to market. It uses MR-01 parts and electronics. I think those were provided seperately by the buyer. Well after I took a close look at it all I was intrigued by what Arch2b said and that was the fact that the batteries were the biggest turn off of the chassis. The convnenience of the Mini-Z chassis is that you can run them continuously so long as you had fresh AAA's.

The Pro-Z like make carbon chassis requires a battery pack. Arch2b was kind enough to let me borrow his Pro-Z chassis and tool around with it.
Dimensionaly the front end is an MR-01 or today's MR-015. The rear end is a normal motor pod. I decided to take an MR-015 I-Series and hack up the front end portion containing the servo and attached it to the Pro-Z Chassis. Next task was to make room for AAA battery holders.

Below are pictures of my progress in updating the Pro-Z.

byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.12, 04:54 PM   #2
byebye

More-

Old 2010.07.12, 04:56 PM   #3
byebye

and more-

I know it's lots of pics! I had to show the work. And it runs very good. It needs a FET upgrade and a better board. Tonight ActionB will swap out the MR-02 asf board in the wifes car with an MR-03 board. Her old ASF board will make it's way to this chassis along with some other parts. I'll shoot some video and post that up in a bit.

Kris

Last edited by byebye; 2010.07.12 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2010.07.12, 08:36 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
looks good and i'm sure it's happy to be back in use after years of ridding the bench

have fun with it and i'm subscribed to see the continuation of the build and your opinion/thought on it.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.12, 08:42 PM   #5
wildthing
RC addict

what body can you fit in that?
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.12, 09:57 PM   #6
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
looks good and i'm sure it's happy to be back in use after years of ridding the bench

have fun with it and i'm subscribed to see the continuation of the build and your opinion/thought on it.
Thanks! Tomorrow I will do the board conversion and hopefully drop some FET's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
what body can you fit in that?

The pic is from the shop here.

Kris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-Z-PRZ60-a.jpg (29.9 KB, 246 views)
Old 2010.07.12, 11:18 PM   #7
herman

pretty nice hack... looking forward to the vids... and that looks like a porsche 917
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.13, 02:50 AM   #8
ivanmartin18

very nice!!
ivanmartin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.13, 02:55 AM   #9
color01

Excellent chassis hack Kris -- been a while since I've seen such an extensive mod for any RC chassis, it's refreshing.

Put in the 03 board and you're going to have one helluva 1/24 RC.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.13, 05:31 AM   #10
monkey19

Send a message via Yahoo to monkey19
nice work!
Old 2010.07.13, 01:18 PM   #11
byebye

Thanks everyone! Here is an update-

I went for a clean approach to the install. I hate how all those connectors and stuff look. I soldered the switch directly to the board, soldered the motor wires directly as well as the power wires.

And now the video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEiOfPbk6k

Kris
Old 2010.07.13, 01:34 PM   #12
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
with some time and patience, there are a good number of lexan body choices for 1/28 scale. just takes patience to search. i happen to like the limmitED HN body. i even bought one long ago but never got around to using it and sold it. you also have the Rony Lola
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.13, 05:29 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The car looks good. I wouldnt have thought about using an MR015 servo... looks like it fit pretty well. Have you thought about using the battery terminals from the MR015? It should be a little more compact and weigh less than the ones that you are using.

It looks like there is a little too much mass on the front of the car compared to the rear. Especially in the video, it looks like the rear end is very loose. Try to move the batteries back a little more if you can, or try a shorter wheelbase mount. Maybe a 90mm mount... I would think that you could pretty easily use an Mr02 A-arm front end on there pretty easily... with an MR-02 chassis servo setup.

Have you thought about the rear dampening yet?
Old 2010.07.13, 05:41 PM   #14
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
The car looks good. I wouldnt have thought about using an MR015 servo... looks like it fit pretty well. Have you thought about using the battery terminals from the MR015? It should be a little more compact and weigh less than the ones that you are using.

It looks like there is a little too much mass on the front of the car compared to the rear. Especially in the video, it looks like the rear end is very loose. Try to move the batteries back a little more if you can, or try a shorter wheelbase mount. Maybe a 90mm mount... I would think that you could pretty easily use an Mr02 A-arm front end on there pretty easily... with an MR-02 chassis servo setup.

Have you thought about the rear dampening yet?
Thanks for the feedback EMU.

I wasn't sure exactly how to get the battery terminals to mount conveniently. It would mean fabricating a mount and brace for the batteries which I don't have the resources and materials to do.This project only cost me $.97 and that was just the cost of the single battery holder. The rest was just spare stuff I've had.

As far as the wheel base goes I installed an RM mount and it shortened it to the looks of 96mm. Remember that this uses Pro-Z T-plates, not Mini-z design so I can't just swap it out as needed. The only way to change the wheel base is swapping the mounts.

The front end was originally going to be an MR-02 but I didn't have another narrow top bar so I ditched it. In fact you can see it in one of the pics(added to the scrap part bin). I don't know if you can use the A-arm setup because of the carbon chassis the servo sits on. Review the video and pics again. I don't have an A-arm setup to check. The carbon bottom that the king pins come through can be changed out if someone actually made that piece.

This is still going on as the next task is to get a body mounted and get a decent rear end. The one on it now is an MR-01 RM with an MR-01 Kyosho diff. The rear end is still a little bouncey but I'm going to pull from the parts bin and see if I can't fab something up.

This has been a really fun project for me. I've been off and on for a few years now and it's like I've hit it full bore since I've moved back. I'll post more pics as I make changes.

Kris

Last edited by byebye; 2010.07.13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 2010.07.14, 06:22 AM   #15
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
If you use the PN A-arm setup, you dont need the lower carbon plate for kingpins... You should be able to mount it to the servo case (Mr02 chassis), and it shouldnt interfere with the board...

If you hack up the MR015 chassis with the dremel, you should be able to mount the battery terminals to the chassis...

I was thinking that the PN 90mm MM motormount may be useful, especially with the DDS system that is included. You only need to fabricate a bridge over the board for the DDS post...