Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > MantisWorx

Old 2010.01.16, 02:11 PM   #1
MantisMMA
tire schredder

adjustable offset racing wheels! sneek peek!

well these will be my first product developed under MantisWorx. one of my peeves is that i dont like race cars that dont look real! the problem with ASC wheels is that you cant choose the offset and the ones that look the best are always the wrong offset! so what i came up with is a 100% machined delrin 2pc wheel that alows you to adjust your offsets and they look GOOOOOOD!! some of the features that i included are:

1.the front wheels are slightly smaller so you dont have to "true" your tires down to achieve maximum grip

2.there is a "glue canal" on the outside that allows the glue to bead under the tire instead of on top of the tire

3. fronts are adjustable from -1,0,+1
4. rears are adjustable from -1,+3 in 1mm increments
5. the set uses a special tool that i designed to aid in "popping" the wheels from offset to offset
6. these are billet delrin, not molded delrin and then machined, this gives better material characteristics and keeps the matl hard
7. the concentricity of the wheels is kept to .0008" or less (this means that they are pretty much perfectly round!) your hair is about .005"

we have been testing them for weeks now and i have only had 2 instances where they moved and both were in such a collison that i could not have finished the race anyway (body got jacked crooked). i got T boned at full speed at the end of a straight. both times the wheels were not glued. so the way these are to be used is to practice with them unglued until you find what offset works for you and then glue them in from the back and you are set. now since these are delrin CA does not bond to it and you can reuse the wheels by soaking them in acetone, clean the glue off and start over! here are a couple of sneek pix, real pix will be released next week as well as pre-orders.

Marcus Williams
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.16, 02:22 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Those wheels look sick!

How much do they weigh compared to stock wheels? They look light...

Cant wait to try these out
Old 2010.01.16, 03:35 PM   #3
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

You know I'll take some!!
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.16, 04:13 PM   #4
color01

Looks excellent -- I'm worried about the durability of the center hub (it looks thin from the pics) but from a hobbyist's perspective, I think it's great that we're finally getting viable non-dish racing wheels.

Will they be compatible with the FPR wheel spacers? That's a must.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.16, 04:31 PM   #5
MantisMMA
tire schredder

thanks guys, the wheels are 6g for the set.

i have no idea if they will work with the FPR spacers, they should but i dont find the spacers neccessary with the RR bearings

as far as them being thin , the cross section is thicker than it looks. i actually made some that had ultra thin webs just to see what would happen and they held up fine but i didnt want to send them out that way!

Marcus Williams
Old 2010.01.16, 05:28 PM   #6
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisMMA View Post
i have no idea if they will work with the FPR spacers, they should but i dont find the spacers neccessary with the RR bearings
The play depends on the knuckle axle rather than the bearings -- not everyone is going to have the perfect knuckle/bearing match, so please, please make them compatible with the FPR spacers. Then they'll be the perfect wheels.

Cheers Marcus.

Greyscale RC

Old 2010.01.16, 05:34 PM   #7
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Marcus! Nice work! Please tell me you will also make LM sized fronts!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.16, 07:25 PM   #8
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

no +2 for the front? any reason not to have these? they look great and for sure will try them out.
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.16, 08:42 PM   #9
DANR

Any chance of these being made for the AWD chassis?
DANR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.16, 09:13 PM   #10
CristianTabush

Not at the time for the AWD, but we might look into it. We never use anything over +1, so this is the reason why they have not been made this way. These are a fairly small production run, to test the market more than anything, the next batch will probably allow for a +2 and +3...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.17, 12:17 AM   #11
MantisMMA
tire schredder

the front dish is flat and that limits the amount of offset. a +2 leaves alot of wheel hanging over. if i redesign the front hub it may work for a +2 but no way a +3.

Traveler the fronts slightly bigger than the LM and slightly smaller than the std size. LM tires fit well.

color01, i have no idea what the FPR spacers even look like, my thoughts on what you are trying to accomplish is to simply make a spacer that is longer than the middle part between the bearings , that way all of the pressure translates to the center of the bearings and takes the wheel out of the equation .

Marcus Williams
Old 2010.01.17, 01:33 AM   #12
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisMMA View Post
color01, i have no idea what the FPR spacers even look like, my thoughts on what you are trying to accomplish is to simply make a spacer that is longer than the middle part between the bearings , that way all of the pressure translates to the center of the bearings and takes the wheel out of the equation .
The spacer has to be *barely* longer than the distance between the bearings, or the bearings can potentially shift on the rim hub. Anyways, as long as you're keeping the bearing spacing on these wheels the same as stock Kyosho, it should be OK.

Greyscale RC

Old 2010.01.17, 12:11 PM   #13
hrdrvr
MBMZR

I think +2 should be worked in if possible. Unless a WTF is going to be out for the 03 very soon. +1 is a little narrow for the PN pancars IMO. I do run 0s on my WTF and WTF2 on my 02s.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.17, 02:24 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The wheel works perfect with the FPR spacer.

Marcus, that is exactly what the FPR spacer is.

These wheels spin very true, and I LOVE the smaller diameter front wheel. Works perfect with the ATM front tires I ran the wheels at 0mm, without glueing them into place, and had no problem with the wheels losing alignment, even in a few hits from other cars...

I personally like that these are -1/0/1mm offsets for the front. I never use a +2mm wheel. If I setup a pan car, it will be on an MR02 with WTF. I wouldnt use an MR03 for it, unless there is an extra wide A arm set.
Old 2010.01.17, 03:50 PM   #15
MantisMMA
tire schredder

its simple enough to add another groove but the hub would sit pretty far in and maybe weak. i will try it out on the next run. the WTF2 is 1.5mm per side wider so you only need 0's are +1's anyway. what about a +1.5??

Traveler my front wheels with std tires is the same diameter as the LM tires on LM wheels! so this gives you alot more tire choices for the LM car!! i will setup a dummy chassis with the wheels on a LM later today.

Marcus Williams