Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.01.16, 01:51 PM   #1
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

opinions on why everyone upgrades their radio...

I went to a mini-z track for my first time this weekend and i noticed not one person was using the Perfex radio. Any particular reason to upgrade from the second gen radio besides model memories? i understand that some people prefer the 'tuneable' percentage based settings for the functions of the radio, but is there anything in particular wrong with the stock radio that can be corrected with another aftermarket radio?

please enlighten me! ; )

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs

Last edited by builthatch; 2006.01.16 at 02:02 PM.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 02:05 PM   #2
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
It sounds like you enlightened yourself, it's all about tunability.
I run a first gen IW Digital and my cars run much better after you get them tuned in, will never run a standard Perflex radio again.

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 03:13 PM   #3
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogbreathRacing
It sounds like you enlightened yourself, it's all about tunability.
I run a first gen IW Digital and my cars run much better after you get them tuned in, will never run a standard Perflex radio again.
so DBR, does a 2PL sound like a viable upgrade taking into account the benefits of upgrading, or it is silly to step up to that particular radio.

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 03:25 PM   #4
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
2PL is the way to go if you want to get the most usefull upgrade options for under $100 (EPA and multiple model memory). You just can't beat the quality of the Futaba radio. I've got a friend who has one, so I can definitely vouch for it.

I use the Airtronics M11, but that's 3 times more money then the 2PL, and not all of the features can be used with Mini z.

Besides being able to make a variety of performance adjustments, another advantage to having an aftermarket radio is the response. The signal from the M11 is very fast, giving the Z a responsiveness that just can't be matched with the KT5 RTR radio. It's really quite noticeable.

My Gallery
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 03:54 PM   #5
ruf
4play

It's funny how many of the top drivers at the PNWC will swear by "radio tuning". Digital radios are useful for quick adjustments on the track. It's an ugly answer to a problem, but it works. If I have the time, I prefer to fix the problem at the source later on.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 05:10 PM   #6
Shaun
000-00-0001

Take a look at the Airtronics MX-A transmitter for $60.
Adds a throttle and steering curve adjustment that can be quite handy at times.

Old 2006.01.16, 05:18 PM   #7
briankstan

I use the EX-10 Heilos from Kopropo, who also designed and manufactured the board in the Mini-z. It has a high speep response and is also very tunable and has a 9 model memory so you can use it with all your different cars. it's a bit more pricey then the 2PL. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

The overall feel of a high end controller has a lot to it also. that depends on the model and your personal feel.
Old 2006.01.16, 06:08 PM   #8
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
A good radio is more than half the battle when tuning a car.....

...for example, you are running on a high traction surface and your cars steering response is to twitchy to control effectively, you can spend half the day trying different tire combos to figure out which is best suited for the track (if you have already spent a load of money on tires of every softness and have them all with you) ...or you can go into your radio and turn down the steering responsiveness, end points, dual rate, and expo within just a couple of minutes you can have your car running well...........you can do the same with the throttle if your having problems spinning out coming out of a turn when you want to hit the throttle......a good radio adds a whole new level of adjustments to an already great little car and there are many options without having to break the bank doing it.

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 06:23 PM   #9
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
so DBR, does a 2PL sound like a viable upgrade taking into account the benefits of upgrading, or it is silly to step up to that particular radio.
I have the 2PL and I love it. I probably spent an hour setting up the radio for 4 cars. There are a couple of things that I really like about it.

Model Memory

Steering Trim is ALWAYS THE SAME. A pain to adjust on the KT-5.

It's easier to keep a smooth throttle action because there is a little more resitance to the trigger. The little bit of back pressure that it has makes it a lot easier to make small adjustments. You can do that on a KT-5 but it's a lot harder.

Just make sure you get the 27MHZ AM version. There are several versions out there.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 06:29 PM   #10
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

I use the helios. I first got it so i could set-up all my cars on 1 radio. Also i liked the feel of the steering wheel better. Now i realize all the little adjustments you can make to the car.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 06:40 PM   #11
miniznoob

Send a message via ICQ to miniznoob
I run a EX-10 Helios with the mini-z module, i dont even run all the features on the helios, but it is pretty nice. I am with Ruf on this one tho, i usually tune the car and not the radio, i use the radio to only set up throttle and the cruves. But overall great Tx =)

if you want something cheaper Futaba 2PL cheaper too, and a great radio.
miniznoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 07:22 PM   #12
ieric

The 2PL seems to come with a receiver and 2 servo units. Do I need to install these parts or are they just extras? Will the tx work fine without them?
ieric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 07:34 PM   #13
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
I run the first gen Iwaver digital tx as well. I have no problem of signal leaking that a few people have reported. It is cheap and is a very tunable tx. I love it for its abilities. But, for the new-to-rc people the stock readyset tx is a must. Many people find it very hard to adjust simple things like steering sensitivity and wheel alignment when they start off. It's a graduation to the more complex transmitters that will be most benificial if you are all about tuning up your ride and want the most out of it. Good luck in choosing a model, it will be fun.
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 07:51 PM   #14
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieric
The 2PL seems to come with a receiver and 2 servo units. Do I need to install these parts or are they just extras? Will the tx work fine without them?
You can't install them on a Mini z- so yes, the 2PL will work fine without them.

While I agree with Ruf that it's best to have a mechanically tuned car, I also agree with what DogbreathRacing is saying. I raced on my in-law's track over Christmas- they're running on basement-floor concrete. No way do I want to spend a ton of time mechanically tweaking my cars to get them from spinning out all day- and then only to have to re-tweak them when I get home to my RCP. A quick dual rate and EPA adjustment on the controller solves the problem much easier (and temporarily).

My Gallery
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.16, 08:35 PM   #15
gasman1

Send a message via AIM to gasman1
I have a Futaba 2PL which is a great radio for under $100 but my favorite is my Futaba 3PL. With the Compac module, I can store 20 cars in one radio. All I gotta do is figure out how to play dvds on the big screen between races