Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.06.25, 08:54 PM   #1
Rooster29

New MR03 Sport

Hey all,

Been a long while since I have been on the forum or even thought about Mini - Z's. Probably 4 or 5 years. I tried in vain to get people interested in Mini-Z's and wasn't successful. I got rid of everything I owned. In short, if all I'm looking to do is buy a mini-96 with expansion and set that up in my basement, is the RTR Mini-Z Sport adequate? Is the board dependable? I'm not going to be racing competitively like many of you do. Really don't need the new brushless deal for mini 96 in basement. I would think the stock motor in the sport set up is plenty fast for a mini 96 track. Anyway, if this is all I'm going to be doing, is it worth it? Just looking for some thoughts and feedback, thanks.
Rooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.26, 06:15 AM   #2
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

The new "sport" series seems to be an adequate entry level package. There were a few issues early on with failure but they appear to have been either "rookie" or motor upgrade issues. It is a standard 03 chassis that uses a different 2.4 radio system(FHS) instead of what has become the norm(ASF). The board has a single layer of 3010 fets I believe which makes "demon speed" motors more than a little risky. Aside from that all the industry wide hop up or durability replacement kibble for the basic 03 chassis is a bolt on. The boards are replaceable with the standard ASF units and now there is a third option of a DSM-2 board from one of the aftermarket providers. As before. You are only limited by your conscience and hip pocket as to which direction to take.

For what you state that you want to do the "sport" is a no brainer unless you can find used bits for less to get back in the saddle.

At any rate welcome back.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.27, 10:50 AM   #3
Rooster29

Thanks for your feedback mleemor60, it is appreciated. I wouldn't be putting a hot motor in the sport model if I decide to go that route. Maybe Kyosho x-speed type (I doubt even that), I assume that would be a safe motor in the sport?
Old 2014.06.27, 12:39 PM   #4
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I would expect the X-Speed to be safe since it is a kyosho product but I certainly wouldn't go beyond that without at least reading all the included literature and perhaps even asking "K" customer service to be sure.
Old 2014.06.27, 01:28 PM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
also keep in mind it should not be cost prohibitive to upgrade the fets provided the sports board can accommodate it. fets themselves are less than $1 each but the labor to install is where the cost normally lies. top and bottom layer ie; stock ASF layout is more than adequate for most common motors on the market.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.27, 03:13 PM   #6
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Ed fetted a sport board with no problems.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.27, 03:17 PM   #7
arch2b

awesome!

just be wary of anyone trying to sell you fets for $$$, when purchased in more than 10+ from distributors such as mouser, the price is typically $.80-$1.00 each depending on the fet selected.
Old 2014.06.27, 08:25 PM   #8
TheSteve
VE7FM

Hard to imagine needing more then an Xspeed with a Mini96exp anyway. I'd not worry about the fet job, just grab a set of ball bearings and then consider a lap counter. I know there is a decent system out there that includes everything you need including two transponders for 199 dollars.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.27, 08:28 PM   #9
arch2b

steve is right, on a mini96, stock or even xspeed is enough. 70t is a bit much.
Old 2014.06.28, 06:44 AM   #10
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Actually an X-Speed is a tad excessive. A well broken in stocker or even an
80T would be about perfect. The decent bottom end torque of the 80 would allow for a higher gear ratio to make up the speed. If needed.
Old 2014.06.28, 08:27 AM   #11
Rooster29

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Sounds like I'd be good to go with a couple S-series models. I doubt that I would even put the x-speed motor in for a mini-96 layout (definitely no more motor than that). I'd go with the appropriate tires and bearings and be good to go. I honestly don't see the need for more than an entry type package for running on a mini 96. As long as the S-series is mechanically sound from board down, I'm happy. Now, if something shocking happens and I could get 6-8 people racing these things, it would be different and I would take another approach. If that did happen, I wouldn't think that the S -series investment would be a waste as I'd keep them for running on the mini-96.
I miss running the Z's and I'm very close to pulling the trigger.
Old 2014.06.29, 09:59 PM   #12
herman

bang... welcome back...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.14, 09:15 PM   #13
Rooster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
bang... welcome back...
Yip, BANG!! . I picked up the Petronas Lexus a couple weeks ago and ordered a mini-96 today.......gonna be back at runnin' Z's!
Old 2014.10.23, 10:43 AM   #14
ChiMiniRc

Now that these have been out for a while. Can any speak to the quality control? I know my local hobbyshop was racing mini-z for 3 years and when the sport came out there was a serious problem. What is worse, with a local track, the expectation is a Sport series less than a week out of the box should be swapped for a new one in the store "a la Walmart return policy mentality".

This presented a serious customer service problem (easily fixed if Kyosho would credit the return and rebox and resell as factory refurb).

A new hobby shop wishes to get into Mini-z racing and has already purchased track and timing gear. My very real concern is that they'll buy into MR-03s and quickly come to the conclusion that the product is "inferior". What is worse is the potential for existing mini-z racers to push the ASF system as superior (and difficult to get into outside brushless). Or worse, push spektrum (via PN) and the very beginner unfriendly board swap.

Does anyone have good communication with a local hobby shop that has sold at least 6 more more sport series?

Looking for when (initial release or last 3 months), how many, and how many problems.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.23, 11:48 AM   #15
arch2b

Feel fre to call our LHS, Hobby works. they have sold a good number of them and have only had a few issues, mostly transmitter related. with the upgraded transmitter on the horizon, it hold up hope for a better use of the line by giving it better steering among other things.