Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.10.14, 09:43 AM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Hot Glue + RCP Tiles

does anyone know how the foam tiles will react to hot glue?

here is what i'km thinking....

i need to route out a pattern for my core loop and i need something to keep the loop inside the tile. i tried tape before but it doesn't prevent the loop from sliding out of the slot. i was hoping i could hot glue the loop in and trim the glue back to prevent any bumps on the bottom.

does anyone have a better suggestions to keep the loop in the groove?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.14, 09:56 AM   #2
byebye

I know Brian in Stafford used a piece of flat plastic and attached it to the bottom of the tile with the core system in between. I don't know how he permanantely attached it though. You can use screws also if you decide to attach some kind of flat piece on the bottom. Just run the screws thru the rails sides.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.14, 10:01 AM   #3
arch2b

your still getting the bump though as you step on and off the plastic below. i'm trying to avoid any bumps at the core loop.
Old 2007.10.14, 10:04 AM   #4
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
your still getting the bump though as you step on and off the plastic below. i'm trying to avoid any bumps at the core loop.
I think he put a groove in the tile though. It was very smooth. The plastic sheet was really thin. I too am thinking of how I can do this.

If you come up with something post some pics up.

Kris
Old 2007.10.14, 10:14 AM   #5
arch2b

i already colored the core loop finish line to differentiate it from the starting grid. now i just have to put the usual 'warning' and 'danger' labels on the rails. the reason being, since the loop will be embeded into the tiels, i want to make sure no one steps on them or tears the tiles apart in breakdown. i want to make it idiot proof

i wish we could make the loop detachable from the unit. that would make it sooo much easier to transport. i could then actually use the leather pouch the unit came with
Old 2007.10.14, 10:49 AM   #6
kenontap

slot the tile and then use shoegoo. it should hold and still can be removed.
kenontap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.14, 04:29 PM   #7
kja812
EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenontap
slot the tile and then use shoegoo. it should hold and still can be removed.
RTV silicone would probably to the trick as well.
kja812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.15, 05:13 AM   #8
Jonny

RCP and Core Installation

Hi Arch, this is how I've done it similarly to our club's setup. First off I cut the groove for the loop under the tiles, then used a heavy duty webbed tape to keep it in. This did work just fine for us. However, to keep the unit secure with the Core box we decided to fix it by using 3-4mm plastic sheet and the pegs from the RCP. The Core box itself is stuck using two strips of double sided tape. It works perfecty and is easily transportable and sturdy. I will be making a guard over the box to protect the USB plug from getting stepped on. I know Brian has actually used large bolts at each end through the rails to keep the ends from lifting but I haven't had the need for that as yet.

Jonny

Last edited by Jonny; 2007.10.15 at 05:19 AM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.15, 09:00 AM   #9
arch2b

i like the layout and reasoning behind what you did and the quality looks great but it still does not resolve the issue i am aiming for which is zero transition on and off the loop tiles. even the 1/8" core loop makes a noticeable bump. unless you taper the 4mm down to nothing over a couple inches which would be near impossible or atleast impractical to do.
Old 2007.10.15, 09:33 AM   #10
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
i like the layout and reasoning behind what you did and the quality looks great but it still does not resolve the issue i am aiming for which is zero transition on and off the loop tiles. even the 1/8" core loop makes a noticeable bump. unless you taper the 4mm down to nothing over a couple inches which would be near impossible or atleast impractical to do.
Awww...come on Arch. What happened to that guy that would fabricate his own LED's and OL roll cages? Sounds like you're getting old

I like the idea of protecting the CORE box.

Here's an idea...What if you did exactly what Jonny pictures there BUT you make the plastic sheet just a little narrower than the start line tiles. THEN you sand down the start tile so it's a little thinner than a regular tile. If you could remove enough material from the start tiles that they lined up with a regular tile, you might just get something that works. Of course... if it doesn't then you've scrapped two tiles.

It all depends on how easy it would be to remove 4mm from the underside of the RCP...probably not very easy.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.15, 09:47 AM   #11
arch2b

i don't have the tools to do that kind of stuff the right way. it would be nearly impossible to route/sand/plane 4mm off tiles without serious inconsistencies. if you go too deep, the tile will deform as the car passes over it creating a nice dip or pot hole which is just as bad as the bump i'm trying to get rid of. don't get me wrong, i love the idea of creating a protective board for the core unit, etc. but unless someone has the professional machinery to mill/sand/plane foam tiles to a high degree of accuracy, i don't see it happening. i wish we could talk john/rcp into making a prototype we could test it would require 2 additional pin holes on either ends to clamp the 4mm plate to the finish line which is the easiest of all things to do unless you make it thin enough to use the existign 2 pins
Old 2007.10.15, 12:34 PM   #12
Jonny

Loop Options

Quote:
i like the layout and reasoning behind what you did and the quality looks great but it still does not resolve the issue i am aiming for which is zero transition on and off the loop tiles.
It certainly won't solve that one for you but it doesn't affect the racing - is it actually causing you problems or is it just for the hell of it?

I've found pictures of how I first had it installed. I don't know how similar it is to what you have done but this gives zero bump (I think except the thickness of the tape!) the loop held in perfectly fine but there is just the issue of the Core box flopping away at the edge of the track there, which would need a solution to support it - unless you are careful while moving and transporting (which I was but it was always a worry having to support it). Surely this would be the easiest way for you, or am I missing something?

Jonny

Old 2007.10.15, 12:44 PM   #13
byebye

It seems like it would just be easier to score the track and tape it down.

Kris
Old 2007.10.15, 12:51 PM   #14
arch2b

i did just what jonny did previously adn the core loop had enough wiggel room to move out of the goove/slot cut into the tile. the silicone sealant would prevent that by being a semi solid barrier.

just as jonny points out, this leaves the core unit to dangle off the edge which i don't like as much as the next person. if we had specialized tiles for this it would be nice to use a solid plate to extend out of the tiles to hold core as well but even 4mm is enough to cause a bump in my opinion and this is what i'm trying to eliminate.

i could make a solid plate however that sandwiches under the rail pins. it would still flop to some degree but adds atleast some measure of support to the unit. it would create a slight upward slope along the one side but thats better to me than bumps across the track.
Old 2007.10.15, 01:07 PM   #15
Jonny

OK I understand what you mean now, I got a little confused between Spoon's 1st suggestion and the prototype piece you talked about after That floppy box is inconvenient but I must say I didn't have any issues with my loop coming out of the groove I made and that tape held really firm.

Hope you can dream up something to share as an alternative to the existing installations.

Jonny