Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.12.26, 06:47 PM   #1
Shaun
000-00-0001

1/28th Talk

Cool, we got our own place to talk.
Patrick, how's your FET project going? You run your new Atomic motors yet?
Have you found anymore ID tags(cheap ones) for the CORE system?

BTW It's a GO for Saturday 1/7/06. See you at 12:00.
Who do you expect to show up on Saturday?
Old 2005.12.26, 08:21 PM   #2
Shaun
000-00-0001

Hey Patrick, if you have some pictures of the current track layout, could you post some on the main thread so people can get a look at the track. I would post some but I don't have any of the track.

Thanks
Old 2005.12.27, 12:29 PM   #3
AtlRC
AMSR Coordinator

Well, for everyone's info, I blew out my FET's on my Mini-Z by trying to run the modified I-Waver motor. I've since removed the old ones successfully. I used a 15/30 watt soldering pencil on the 30 watt setting. I ground the tip down to a fine point. It wasn't too hard to remove the existing ones.

I've ordered and received the new FETs, but I haven't had the chance to put them in yet. I'm hoping to try tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm fairly proficient at soldering but have never soldered anything this small. It look like it'll kind of be like soldering the legs of a tick to a circuit board.

I haven't had a chance to try out my new Atomic stock motor yet since the FETs are still out and I'm still working on the RFID tags.
AtlRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.27, 08:30 PM   #4
Shaun
000-00-0001

Have you used those 10* Atomic Grooved tires yet? What did you think of them?

Where you going to remove or change the grass parts of the track?
Old 2005.12.29, 11:26 AM   #5
AtlRC
AMSR Coordinator

FET update:
So I installed my new FETs a couple of nights ago. They aren't to hard to solder on the board if you have fairly good soldering skills. Everything looked good... but after putting everything back together, reverse didn't work. I checked all the connections for continuity, still looked good. I had left the batteries in the car during this process so the car would have some weight to it while I was working on it. Well, while playing around with the board (pushing things around with my fingers), lots-o-smoke started pouring out near one of the FETs !!! I quickly checked the power switch, and it was still in the off position. Now usually when you "let the smoke out" of electronics, they quit working... but for some miraculous reason... everything now worked !

So my theory about what happened is this... I used soldering flux on the board and chip. I didn't think to clean the flux off after I was done. I'm guessing that the flux was shorting out the reverse circuitry. That short finally heated up and burned (smoked) the flux away and everything started working. Anyway, that's my theory.

Atomic Tires:
As far as the 10* grooved Atomic tires... I didn't like them. The grooves are really deep so it seems like the tires have a lot of side to side flex. Possibly because of the combination of grooves and a very soft compound. The rear end just seems too loose. I'm thinking that they may be better in a 20 or 30 deg (harder) compound. Shaun: I'll let you (or anyone else) try them next time if you'd like.

Grass borders on the track:
I'll have them off by next race if they don't tear up the track in the process. I've pulled a couple of them off easily and a couple more not so easily. I'm still looking for a thinner substitute. I do like the grass around the borders, but it must be thinner so cars cannot get stuck or thrown too far off course when a car touches it.

Banked corners:
I will also look into banking one of the corners for the next race. I have some ideas that I will play around with this weekend.
Old 2005.12.29, 06:12 PM   #6
Shaun
000-00-0001

I like the grass also, just needs to be thinner. As far as banking goes I can live without it. Maybe a slight amount of banking on the turn after the straight would be okay.

Glad to hear your FET project went okay. Smoke is very scary when dealing with electronics.
Old 2005.12.31, 06:40 PM   #7
Shaun
000-00-0001

Patrick - How many racers can the CORE system support during a race? I think about 6 racers would be max for a race on your track. Have you moved the timing loop? We also need to make a permanent starting grid for 1 - 6. I like the stagered starting grid. Like F1 racing.

.....5] 3] 1] <------ Sorta like this. What do you think?
..6] 4] 2]

I was also thinking about race lengths. 5 minutes seems about right. Just like 1/10th TC racing. 4 qualifiers and Triple A-Mains would be great. We can also rotate starting positions during qualifying rounds to give all racers a chance to start in the front. But during all Mains racers will start in the postion in which they qualified.

Triple A-Mains
* Points System * Most points for best 2 races wins!
1st = 10 pts
2nd = 9
3rd = 8
4th = 7
5th = 6
6th = 5

Take the best 2 races out of 3 for each racer. In event of a tie in points the 3rd main finishing position will determine the winner. If a racer wins both the 1st and 2nd Mains, they will not have to start the 3rd Main to be declared the winner.

We should also have an ATL Mini Racing sign-up sheet at the track. Everyone can put their name, class, frequencies and additional information on it. Also, do you have printer to hook-up to the laptop? I'll bring plenty of paper so we can print out race results and starting positions.

Just thinking out loud. Have a Happy New Year!
Old 2006.01.02, 12:41 PM   #8
AtlRC
AMSR Coordinator

Shaun: The core system will support as many racers as you'd like in a single event. I think you're right that 6 would be a good number. I've ordered a 16' USB extension (signal boosted) so that we can have the finish line on the back straight. It should be here by Wed (this week). I'll paint a starting grid like you mentioned... I think that will work well.

4 or 5 min qualifiers and 5 min mains sound good to me too. So far, I haven't been able to get the software to do triple A-Mains. I've made some posts in the core forums, but I haven't heard anything yet. I really don't think it is possible with Core's software. Maybe we can come up with a workaround to accomplish this.

I have a spare printer that I'm setting up now, so we'll be able to post heats and results. I have plenty of paper here already, but I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the suggestions! It's good to hear ideas from others. Thanks again!
Old 2006.01.02, 03:04 PM   #9
Shaun
000-00-0001

I like having the qualifiers and mains the same length. It's easier to track improvements in your set-ups and driving skills if all the races are the same length. That way you can compare # of laps in the qualifiers vs mains. It also gives you a chance to beat the track record in every race.

As far as Triple Mains go, is there any way to run a race then Re-run it again. We could just do that a couple of times. Just keep track of points manually.
Old 2006.01.02, 03:49 PM   #10
AtlRC
AMSR Coordinator

Good point on the qualifier/main length.

I'm guessing that there is a way to re-run a main... I'll check it out tonight.
Old 2006.01.02, 07:48 PM   #11
CoreAnalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRC
Shaun: The core system will support as many racers as you'd like in a single event. I think you're right that 6 would be a good number. I've ordered a 16' USB extension (signal boosted) so that we can have the finish line on the back straight. It should be here by Wed (this week). I'll paint a starting grid like you mentioned... I think that will work well.

4 or 5 min qualifiers and 5 min mains sound good to me too. So far, I haven't been able to get the software to do triple A-Mains. I've made some posts in the core forums, but I haven't heard anything yet. I really don't think it is possible with Core's software. Maybe we can come up with a workaround to accomplish this.

I have a spare printer that I'm setting up now, so we'll be able to post heats and results. I have plenty of paper here already, but I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the suggestions! It's good to hear ideas from others. Thanks again!
After you sort the mains, simply go to the "A Main" in the race manager and run the "Sort Heats" command and change the number of runs to 3. We ran triple A Mains
at the PN Racing Finals.

--Core
CoreAnalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.02, 08:06 PM   #12
AtlRC
AMSR Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreAnalog
After you sort the mains, simply go to the "A Main" in the race manager and run the "Sort Heats" command and change the number of runs to 3. We ran triple A Mains
at the PN Racing Finals.

--Core
Cool! Thanks!
Old 2006.01.05, 06:51 PM   #13
Shaun
000-00-0001

Patrick - have you had a chance to run your car with the FET upgrade?
How about your Atomic motor?

I won't forget to bring your Iwaver Diff on Saturday.

See you later.
Old 2006.01.05, 07:03 PM   #14
AtlRC
AMSR Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Patrick - have you had a chance to run your car with the FET upgrade?
How about your Atomic motor?

I won't forget to bring your Iwaver Diff on Saturday.

See you later.
Yeah, the FET upgrade worked well. It's kind of hard for me to compare the new FETs to the old FETS since I immediately put in the Atomic Stock Motor. The car almost has too much power. Lots of acceleration and top end... not to mention braking. Too much braking in fact. I'm assuming this is due to the stronger magnets. But anyway, it's working nicely. Now if I can only control it.

I'm looking forward to the ball diff. It'll let me dial in some much needed slip. Thanks.
Old 2006.01.05, 09:53 PM   #15
Shaun
000-00-0001

Control is key! I found that I can run faster laps with a car that's slower and easier to drive. It enabled me to run a smoother more consistant pace.

I know what you mean about the braking feel with the Atomic Stock motor. Mine does the same thing. It is the stronger magnets that slow the motor down much quicker than a stock Mini-Z motor. The Atomic Standard motor doesn't have the strong magnets like the Stock Version, it gives a more even braking feel. It's just not as fast as the Stock.