Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.08.06, 10:25 AM   #1
ultrawide
Same same, but different.

Lightbulb Doubel dampers in the front!

Did a try with doubel dampers on my ol yesterday, it works in front! Still have'nt found the perfect way to do it in the rear.

I'll tell you about how i did in the front, the rear would be the same after I/you found a way to connect the second damper down beside the wheel!?

I found 2 different ways to approache the work to mount them, both demands to find/make some kind of spacers, longer screws and 1 extra milled ball for every extra damper.

In both ways you need to use the shortest damper mount but the hinge pin have to be in pos. A, the long front setting.
I guess that maybe a GPM interchangeable front mount would work?, I'm working one my own "displacement-plate" so I can mount the 2 higher/smaller suspension arms just in front of the damper mount. Someone sure going to do some custom longer suspension arms, I don't have time for that right now, but it would be easy to do. You'll find the parts for that in any LHS!
---
You've need two 4.8mm ball ends/rod ends for each shaft and one threded axel that fits in the ends.
hpi makes some suitable 4.8mm rod ends in 3 lengths, 10, 12 and 14mm's.
---

The first way I is to just turn one of the two dampers upside-down, use some long screws and 2 spacers in differnt lengths ( I build them up from whatever laying around on my desk). So in top of the damper you' have the "old"spacer-new long spacer-ball, from the ol damper mount and out and in the bottom "new" short spacer-old spacer and a ball, from the wheel and out on the screw.
The screws for this have to be at last 13 mm longer than the old ones, I only found 2 so it was only on damper pair done!

The other way is to drill a hole in the bottom of one damper at the ball end, so the screw will go through one to the second, so you will have ball-spacer-ball down by the wheel and in top of the damper it goes old spacer-new -old.
Now it was easier to find the right screw, only 8 mm's longer but I need more milled balls before I can do the test run. (on the way now)

Last thing to do is to connect the higer suspension arms in the "displacement-plate" in front of the damper mount. The plate just put the screw holes in the damper mount in front of the mount and will be connected with the old suspension holes in the mount.

I hope I'm not the only one that like doubel mounted dampers on a real off-road ol...

---edit---
Did forget one part in making the custom upper suspension arms.

Last edited by ultrawide; 2003.08.06 at 05:21 PM.
ultrawide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.06, 10:34 AM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Double Dampers

uw,

Sounds great
How about a pic for us all to see?

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.06, 11:09 AM   #3
ultrawide

Just need that extra milled ball and I'll show the front setup ready to run! I guess my latest order have left this store yesterday or today?!
Old 2003.08.06, 11:53 AM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
UW,
i can't picture what your describing as i don't have any other offroad rc's. it does sound very interesting and complicated. i can't wait to see pictures
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.06, 12:08 PM   #5
ultrawide

No need to be afraid of this mod arch.

It's simpel done, only the screws was hard to find. Mine was from an old inkjet printer i belive, use to take some old stuff with me from work instead of throwing it in the trash, and just for the fun of it dismount it and save screws and such things.
Old 2003.08.06, 02:11 PM   #6
chelboed
<><

I'm not exactly sure why you need 8 shocks. I have found that with the heavy springs mine is slightly oversprung. Not that it's a bad idea, I guess it'd be pretty good for huge jumps.

Last edited by chelboed; 2003.08.06 at 02:15 PM.
chelboed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.06, 04:13 PM   #7
ultrawide

Your not the only one chelboed!

And so far it's only the front that had double dampers, don't know how to do with the rear ones.
Why? For what? Because I found a way to do it, no reason or purpose with it...
Old 2003.08.06, 04:21 PM   #8
chelboed
<><

To attach the rears, you could use a long screw and spacer on the dampin end. On the shaft end, you'll notice that theres a clip to remove and the spring comes off. Just fashion a double-clip to fit on both shocks at once. Then you could leave the ball end free on the extra shocks, but it would be attached by the clip.

Not to trash your idea, it's pretty cool. Just doesn't fit my driving style, I guess.
chelboed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.06, 05:01 PM   #9
ultrawide

That will maybe work...

I was thinking on all my alloy parts coming soon that will give me a almost complete overland from the exchanged stuff, so:

Anyone who knows what thread it's on the screws that hold the milled balls at the rear end?
I'll try to find the right tap and drill, then mount a second ball between the existing ball and rear axel...