Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Setups

Old 2002.09.30, 10:11 PM   #16
Tango
Like this?!

Send a message via ICQ to Tango
did you keep the triangle plate in between H plate & chassis?
if so, your car may have better damping action as you didn't install the mid damper.
go for it as you'll find it's a must buy item.
30 degree kyosho tyre should offer you a lot of grip over tarmac~
Old 2002.09.30, 11:44 PM   #17
Adrian

the bball court was a bit rough but still drivable, my miniz didnt jump. i dont think the tyre grip doesnt matter coz when accelerating hard it didnt spinout and it didnt understeer either. but when driving at the corner at full speed and then turning it does a 180 so i tried adjusting the steering angle to the least. and i have the triangle plate on. i think its either the weight of the car or the wires touching the body. so it should work now since i changed the wire positions. ill post back when i go back to the bball court or other tarmac places.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.08, 12:25 AM   #18
lornecherry
Porta-Trax Lead Designer

..how to fix your problem

It is neither the weight or the suspension. If hte car handles well on one surface and then breaks free on another, it is a traction problem. We learned this after driving identical cars on many different surfaces; sometimes a perfectly set-up car for one surface would spin out on a slightly less tractionable surface. Even day-to to-day humidity changes can make a difference in the traction.

To immeadiately fix your problem, buy a set of foam tires. Unlike others in this forum, I recommend the Tamiya Reston foams over the Squat, as the Squats seem to tear much easier and are only appropriate for very smmoth surfaces, whereas we still have the orignal Tamiyas on the four cars that we run with foam. They are an ugly blue, but they work very well.

This single upgrade will give you the rear traction you need on surfaces that are otherwise frustrating. Believe me, we tried everything, including: weight biasing, toe-in, body height, differential adustments, camber, caster, suspension travel, and tension and most of the time it made little differnance if there was not enough rear traction. (Adjsuting the ball diff is important though). The foam tires however, cured the problem instantly and were less expensive than many of the other prior-mentioned upgrades. Foam tires are especially good with a ball diff, as the ball diffs are sensistive to setup and can easily cause oversteer or understeer if not precisely tensioned.

Regards, Lorne
Old 2002.10.08, 03:21 AM   #19
Adrian

but the bball already has excellent traction even with stock tires, i am very sure that it isnt the traction. the court is not indoor, it is a tarmac surface. and even my friends' cars were fine with stock tyres. i still havent returned to the bball cournt because my friend is in new zealand, and he lives near there.
Old 2002.10.08, 03:51 AM   #20
Mixxy
The MixtriX

hey Adrian, where do you buy your mini-z stuff from? i cant find many places in melbourne. thanks
Old 2002.10.08, 03:59 AM   #21
Adrian

Quote:
Originally posted by Mixxy
hey Adrian, where do you buy your mini-z stuff from? i cant find many places in melbourne. thanks
well there is the hobby place on lonsdale street in the city just outside melbourne central. metro hobbies on boxhill station street at the end (the end far away from whitehorse rd, keep going until u see it because i told my friends that and they didnt go far enough). and herns hobbies on flinders street near flinders street station. and if u live in kew there is a place called phantom hobbies on bourke rd.

i recommend the hobby place on lonsdale st and herns hobbies on flinders st.
and wat suburb do u live in?
Old 2002.10.08, 04:53 AM   #22
Mixxy
The MixtriX

im in east doncaster. i've only been here for a couple on months (came from uk )

i got my Z from hobby place, but dont really wanna go down there unless necessary.

i think i'll try the box hill place. thanks.

ps, does the prices vary a lot between the places?
Old 2002.10.08, 06:32 AM   #23
Adrian

they vary a little bit. hobby place is the cheapest. metro is pretty good in bigger scale cars but not that good in miniz stuff. they only have things like tyres and ball bearings and thats pretty much it. but check it out still if they got new stuff.
Old 2002.10.08, 06:51 PM   #24
jcurt
Mini-Z Novice

Beware Metro Hobbies

Hi

I just want to warn you guys about Metro Hobbies. The owner, Peter, is a real snake.

I was starting in RC (new to the hobby)about a year ago and went to his shop. He seemed nice enough, but he took advantage of me big time by selling me AUD$350 ESCs, expensive radios and chargers, etc when I told him I was just trying out the hobby.

I only realised when I went to Hobby Place when they showed me different options. I ended up spending about 3 times what I could have spent. Partially my fault b/c I didn't do enough research, but he still took advantage of me big time.

Worse still was the ESC was faulty straight from the box. Instead of immediately replacing it, he said it had to be sent off to the wholesaler which meant I had to wait a month. He wasn't even helpful once I made the original purchase and at time was quite rude.

He is the most unscrupulous operator in any business I have ever come across.

My recommendations are Hearns, Hobby Place and Phantom - they are all good honest dealers.
jcurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.10, 06:36 AM   #25
Adrian

yeah i agree coz there was noone there when i went.