Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.09.09, 10:30 AM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Jomurema GT01 Momo No.65 2013 (90mm)

Jomurema GT01 Momo No.65 2013 (90mm)

Materials:
Jomurema GT01
Krylon gloss white
Krylon red pepper
Krylon satin black
Kyrlon satin island splash
Pattosplace Audi R8 GT3 Momo No.65 2013 vinyl decals
Plastruct plastic weld
JBWeld Plastic Bonder
Start to finish, two weeks overall in about 2 hour chunks of time..

I am not the first to do this, nor was it my idea however once I discussed this with a fellow club member, I couldn't resist.

The GT01 is made of ABS plastic according to Jomurema. This makes it very durable however at the same time, the plastic is very soft to cut. A standard #11 xacto knife will easily cut through the plastic, with enough successive cuts. I took my time to make sure the cut was symmetrical on both sides as much as possible and probably took 100 scores to get through. Where you want to cut is the rear fender well line toward the front. This allows you to easily slide the rear 8mm forward with minimal impact to plastic glass, etc. You will also need to trim the rear pillars of the hatch.
Once you have the rear sectioned, reposition to the correct length, scribe on the body and then you can easily trim back the extension that remains. I cut back about 7mm to leave some bite if you will for future boding reasons I'll explain further. For a clean finish, you can overlap at the bottom however you want to trim the sectioned rear so that it sits much more flush with front half and by the time you get to the hatch pillar, it's cut flush to join right up seamlessly. before bonding, I sanded all the areas to ensure a better bond. Always wash the plastic prior to bonding/painting. These GT01 bodies come out of the package with some mold release or coating that will really mess up paint if not cleaned. Simple dishwash soap does the trick fine.
Once the sections are bonded back together i mixed up JBWeld plastic bonder to give it some structure back. I then puttied this into the gap and filled in the splice on the inside so that it appears as if it were molded that way. Other club members have suggested that you can grind up plastic and mix it with Plastic Weld to make a paste that works equally as well. I simply tooled the joints with my finger to get a smooth clean finish and touched up any goops by sanding before painting. I can tell you this reinforcement proved itself in racing as I happened to clobber another sectioned GT01 on the track and both our cars survived without so much as a crack.
What you do with the plastic glass is preference really. I cut a relief line down the sides of the hatch panel and carefully scribed and ground back the glass so that it sits rather flush with the newly sloped hatch pillars.
Turns out not all Krylon paints are the same. The Fusion paints really do adhere to the plastic better and are more durable. With the body work complete, I had to paint the entire car white again, which I typically prefer not to do. The white i had was simply a Krylon paint and not the fusion brand. It remains even now, softer than the subsequent fusion paint layers applied over it and has chipped much easier than the others.

I wish I had photos of some other modified GT01's in the club as there are some astounding modifications that can be made to this body in particular. I happen to find the design overall much more proportionally pleasing in it's 90mm form. In its original 98mm form, the rear pillar to back of hatch area just looks unfinished in my opinion, or rushed if you will, there is a distinct disconnect between the rest of the flow of body lines to this oddly proportioned rear transition from the room to the back end. I included some progress photos this time, in particular, the area where the section cut was made.

I shared this completed project with Jomurema with the hope that some day they will release it in 90mm form. It drives fantastic at 90mm.

arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.09.09, 11:26 AM   #2
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I recently saw this on FB. I didn't notice the 90mm change....excellent work Ray!

my custom body album (now that Photobucket sucks!)
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.09.10, 07:58 AM   #3
TPDazzle

Looks great! I would never have thought of shortening the body. I haven't given this body much thought since it is not a licenced actual car, but looks good, and the added durability is definitely appealling.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.09.10, 08:06 AM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Proportions look much better at 90mm for sure. As a car, the design itself is a bit of a mess in my opinion and definitely function over form.

I wish I had photos of some of the customization other club members are doing, makes it even better looking.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.09.14, 10:10 PM   #5
SuperFly
bitPimp

Very nice work. Getting those body cuts parallel and symmetrical is hard!

mini-z gallery
SuperFly is online now   Reply With Quote