Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.12.28, 07:00 PM   #1
wildthing
RC addict

What RC is this?

Can anybody help me identify this RC?
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.28, 08:07 PM   #2
moz

the wheels and some parts looks xray to me
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.28, 10:13 PM   #3
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
ABC DTM X4
http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
http://www.abchobby.com/abcframeeng/cont/prod/dtm.html

It is 1/24 scale AWD in a very primative form. Integrated t-plate DDS rear suspension, front plate flexes as well, but not much laterally (which is the reason for the spring above the front end). One of the only reasons they were able to get away with suspension like this is because it used foam tires, which have lots of compliance and grip.
Old 2010.12.29, 05:57 AM   #4
wildthing
RC addict

thanks EMU... very informative insights and link.
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.01.03, 03:00 AM   #5
herman

emu is right...
i saw that a loong time ago (back in 2002)... kinda surprised that they still have it...
dunno if parts are hard to come by these days...

here's the thread

haven't actually seen one run, so i can't really say anything about durability and such... but it looks pretty good though...
with the advances in electronics... i won't be surprised if you install a 2.4ghz system and a lipo brushless motor combo on it...

i do have a kawada tripmate though... now that thing is really fun... you can even use kyosho parts on it... well some kyosho parts...
likewise, i don't know if kawada's still out there making stuff...

Last edited by herman; 2011.01.03 at 03:32 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.01.17, 08:30 PM   #6
greenepa76

Wow, Kawada actually made a "mini-z" type vehicle? That looks pretty cool not having to use proprietary electronics.
Are these impossible to get?
greenepa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.01.18, 12:03 AM   #7
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenepa76 View Post
Wow, Kawada actually made a "mini-z" type vehicle? That looks pretty cool not having to use proprietary electronics.
Are these impossible to get?
kawada seems like a good platform... to integrate your electronics...
click here for kawada's website

adjustable trackwidth and wheelbase so you can use a wide variety of bodies... including tamiya model bodies...

back then electronics seemed quite expensive... if you see the above link rtr was 24,800Yen (approx $300) compared to kyosho's rtr approx 14,000Yen ($170 approx price of a mr01 at that time, but i remember it sold for a lot less than that maybe 100-120...)

losi came out with their micro truck... i figure you can use the losi micro truck electronics... they have a brushless option for that... for approx 50$

click here for more info

they even got a control card for the esc...

you tube video

i've got a kawada tripmate... and basically, the tripmate platform was based on the mr01 chassis... and because of the micro electronics (you could basically use what you wanted)... it drove a whole lot better than the mr01... that plus you can adjust the chassis wheelbase and trackwidth...

the kawada tripmate was everything that kyosho wasn't... i believe it was what kyosho was envisioning in the first place...

they wanted to come out with a good running car... but at a more affordable price range...

however, i believe that the major letdown were the mr01 electronics, mainly because of the faulty and inconsistent steering issues it had...

however this was more than aptly addressed when kyosho came out with the mr02 and mr015... showcasing a much improved chassis which featured a servo saver and better steering...

the downside of the kawada though was it's price... rtr seemed a bit outrageous 24,800Yen (approx $300)... if you get the kit with electronics 14,000Y (approx $170) you could already get a kyosho mini-z readyset... if you get the kit without electronics 8,000Y (approx 97$) you would still have to purchase the esc, receiver, servo and radio (a bit expensive back then... or did i just say that?)

good news now though... i believe that electronics are cheaper...

sad news is, don't know if you can still get a kawada m-24 tripmate...
i guess you can try the bay site...

hope this helps...

Last edited by herman; 2011.01.18 at 12:07 AM.
Old 2011.01.18, 12:08 AM   #8
greenepa76

!

Thanks Herman!

More info than I could have found myself in the time you took to post this. Thanks so much! Great info.
greenepa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.01.18, 12:09 AM   #9
herman

goodness... didn't realize that my above post was number 7080...

@ greenepa76... no prob...
Old 2011.01.18, 12:20 AM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Herman, great information about the Tripmate. It was a very versatile chassis, I never had one, but wanted one a couple years ago... now I dont know how it would compare to the more modern MR02 and MR03 setups, let alone MA010.