Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.06.18, 07:47 PM   #16
hilldebrandt
hilldebrandt's hobby

Running the Hudy at 12 volts is too much. The rpm's will be too high and you'll wind up graining the tire. You need to get into the 6 to 7 volt range....

http://dorksonwheels.com(RIP)
hilldebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.18, 07:51 PM   #17
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

Plus you'll end up killing the on and off switch pretty quick
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.18, 07:56 PM   #18
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Well, good thing it was really cheap. The 7.5v is closer to $18 but mostly sold in bulk or dealer only sales.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.18, 08:12 PM   #19
arch2b

Ok, after hearing about all these other hook ups, lets see some pictures
Old 2013.06.18, 08:35 PM   #20
hilldebrandt
hilldebrandt's hobby

As of right now, I'm in the same boat as you. I have yet to hook up anything to power my Hudy. I tried hooking directly to my power supply and darn near melted my tire...lol. That's how I know 12 volts straight up don't work. The suggestion I gave I saw on a 10th scale forum. Have yet to try it myself...
Plus I'm NOT spending ANY money to get a Muchmore Motor Master just to power a tire truer...

Old 2013.06.18, 08:54 PM   #21
arch2b

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking simple and cheap. The PC power supply is a cheap way to get both 12v and 5v PS. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to make these over. I even read you can do something to get 7v out. Never did that myself though.

Ill keep hunting for a good deal on 6-7v 6a adapter.
Old 2013.06.18, 10:05 PM   #22
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

no pics but mine is simple. 12v muchmore power supply, muchmore motor master, tire truer. its a lot of equipment but i chose to spend my money on the best equipment. is it necessary? no but i enjoy all the gadgets as much as i do racing.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.19, 02:14 AM   #23
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Well I'm going to throw in my two cents. I've tried I don't know how many power supplies before one would remotely work my tire truer. Tried the portable power supplies that radio shack sells, none of them worked. Then I tried a 12v 5amp pyramid power supply that I found in a electronic store in wva, didn't work. Used my venom 2 cell lipo's that I run in my 10th scale off road cars. While yes it does work, like any battery it's going to die. Therefore slow down to the point that it won't work the truer efficiently. Plus if you let a lipo get to a certain voltage and continue to use it, then that's $50 or more down the drain. Which is the average cost of a power supply. Nimh 6 cell or bigger could do the job but also keep in mind it has to be at least 5 amps(5000mah) to remotely run it. And a 6 cell 5000mah packs sell I think for $40. Plus mini z racing is an indoor event which means there are power outlets so why bother with a battery that will die when you can get constant power. Power supplies are usually bulky so there is no way around that. I've tried using my team checkpoint chargers which are running off my team checkpoint power supply which also wouldn't run it. I could hook it up to the team checkpoint power supply and it would run but it was too much for it. I ended up with a dynamite adjustable power supply which has adjustable output from 10 to 14 volts at 10 amps. Cost $50. I unfortunately got the older version that doesn't have a LCD to tell you your voltage output but the new ones do and it's the same price and I think is a little more portable. Usually I get my tire trueing done at home but their are occasions where you need to true tires at the track. And like mentioned the switch on the tire truer does go bad and seen it go bad with any type of power source hooked to it. I ended up making my own switch for it from stuff I got at radio shack. Well theirs my two cents.
Old 2013.06.19, 09:20 AM   #24
blt456

^ I thought my switch died on me, but after I cleaned it out with rubbing alcohol and compressed air, the switch worked fine! So if you're ever wondering why the switch won't work, just clean it out.
blt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.19, 11:06 AM   #25
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad508 View Post
no pics but mine is simple. 12v muchmore power supply, muchmore motor master, tire truer. its a lot of equipment but i chose to spend my money on the best equipment. is it necessary? no but i enjoy all the gadgets as much as i do racing.
Didn't you take a picture of my stuff on the pink towel at the MBGP?
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.19, 11:49 AM   #26
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
^ I thought my switch died on me, but after I cleaned it out with rubbing alcohol and compressed air, the switch worked fine! So if you're ever wondering why the switch won't work, just clean it out.
I bought my hudy tire truer used from a friend of mine who got out of mini z's and didn't have a switch. Just wires running off the motor with a deans connector. All the parts that held the switch to the power supply were missing so I made a switch that runs inline. He was tired of replacing the switch when it break. He just run it on a battery I think.
Old 2013.06.19, 12:54 PM   #27
arch2b

bill, thanks for the post, checked out the lcd version and it's about the same price as the power adapter i was looking at. any idea what the dimension are roughly? it looks small in pictures but there is nothing to gauge scale. it certainly looks smaller than the RC power supply i have at home. if that is the case, i will just pick up the lcd version, convert the plugs to some other connector and call it a day. it looks about the size of a power adapter, connects to common power source, relatively cheap so sounds like a win. i don't like deans nor bannana plugs. i have a pack of EC3 plugs coming so may just use those.
Old 2013.06.19, 07:39 PM   #28
hilldebrandt
hilldebrandt's hobby

Ray, where did you find it at? I can only find the Dynamite NON adjustable power supply listed...

Old 2013.06.19, 08:29 PM   #29
arch2b

check a shop called hopmeup, look for DYN4201

Quote:
Dynamite DYN4201 Power Supply for Battery Charger 12-Volt DC 10 AMP 120W Output
Part Number: DYN4201

Universal AC input voltage range Short-circuit and over-current protection circuitry Chassis mount, rocker style, AC power switch Power ON indicator light (Red LED) Color coded, banana jack, power output terminals (Red = Positive (+), Black = Common or Negative (-)) 10 Amp Max The Dynamite® 12V DC Power Station is a rugged, medium-current power supply for use with a single 100W battery charger or multiple, smaller battery chargers. The 120W Power station is loaded with features, including an LCD display and cooler operating temperatures thanks to the internal cooling fan. Adjustable output voltage allows users to select the appropriate output voltage based on their battery and charger requirements, while the integrated on/off switch provides an additional convenience and safety factor.

Manual
i placed an order and received the order confirmation but not shipping status. until i know it's in the mail, it's still up in the air. i've never heard of this place before so always suspect.

Last edited by arch2b; 2013.06.19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 2013.06.19, 09:04 PM   #30
hilldebrandt
hilldebrandt's hobby

Thanks. After a little more searching, I found that Dynamite products are sold and marketed by Horizon Hobby, and that particular power supply is now discontinued and currently being recalled in Canada. Hmmmm...
Hopefully you'll get yours and it works...you got that at a good price, HH was selling it at $49.

I was going to experiment with the dimming switch, but thanks to TheSteve mentioning about switching power supplies, I won't as my power supply won't be compatable.

I think I'll stick with the battery power, as I already have some lipo's and some stick nimh's laying around...

Last edited by hilldebrandt; 2013.06.19 at 09:09 PM.