Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.11.15, 08:57 AM   #1
CrazyRussian

Mini-Z driver figures for shelf display

Hello all,

I have my scale bodies on shelf, and one thing I only missed is scale figures, like American Diorama does for 1/24 or /18 scale.

Or I really would like to have figures like this:

I wondering is there any who produce 1/27 scale drivers figures?
Old 2020.11.15, 09:33 AM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
these should be rather simple for those with 3d printers. Check thingaverse and find a friend with a printer
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.11.15, 12:45 PM   #3
CrazyRussian

Well, I doubt indeed about quality of 3D printing.
Old 2020.11.15, 01:26 PM   #4
arch2b

Depends entirely on the printer and it's capable resolution. I've seen stuff that looks sculpted. A friend of mine printed a baby Yoda for me that is 9mm tall and you can see the fingers on his hands. it's so small I would need a macro lens just to get my phone to focus on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3025.jpg (130.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.11.15 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2020.11.15, 02:10 PM   #5
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Depends entirely on the printer and it's capable resolution. I've seen stuff that looks sculpted. A friend of mine printed a baby Yoda for me that is 9mm tall and you can see the fingers on his hands. it's so small I would need a macro lens just to get my phone to focus on it.
Do you know what kind of printer that came from? I see that type of hi-res translucent material offered as an option for Shapeways things as well, which is an expensive option to Thingverse if you don't know anyone with a good printer.

They're not drivers, but I recently purchased a few resin 1:24 Fast and Furious characters from AliExpress, very high quality, cost $25 for 3 figures, shipped.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2020.11.15 at 02:16 PM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.11.15, 03:04 PM   #6
CrazyRussian

Yep, 1/24 is available from different vendors. But they looks giants next to the mini-z cars.
Old 2020.11.15, 03:33 PM   #7
arch2b

You can reach out to Brian to see if he can print these figures, he has the high resolution printing capability.
Old 2020.11.15, 04:46 PM   #8
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRussian View Post
Yep, 1/24 is available from different vendors. But they looks giants next to the mini-z cars.
Yeah, I get the aversion to mixing 1:24 and 1:28, but I'm learning to live with it. I mean, the difference isn't that much more than the RL differences between some of these cars and their Mini Z version, relative to each other.

My little guys are only primered right now, but here's how they look next to a Mini Z:

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
Old 2020.11.15, 05:02 PM   #9
CrazyRussian

Looks pretty nice. I would try to order couple form Ali.
Old 2020.11.23, 10:29 AM   #10
TPDazzle

As far as printer quality, there are 2 basic printer technologies available for hobby grade users. Extruded plastic which is inexpensive and has the very noticeable layer lines that we are all accustomed to seeing. The other type are cured resin printers. These use LEDs to cure resin in very thin layers. These printers can print with amazing resolution, and I would bet you could scale figures to 1/27 and print them with satisfactory results. Shapeways or a similar printservice could definitely do it
With high resolution, but it might cost quite a bit.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.11.23, 10:30 AM   #11
TPDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
Yeah, I get the aversion to mixing 1:24 and 1:28, but I'm learning to live with it. I mean, the difference isn't that much more than the RL differences between some of these cars and their Mini Z version, relative to each other.

My little guys are only primered right now, but here's how they look next to a Mini Z:

Your garage is looking awesome Superfly!
Old 2020.11.23, 11:37 AM   #12
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPDazzle View Post
As far as printer quality, there are 2 basic printer technologies available for hobby grade users. Extruded plastic which is inexpensive and has the very noticeable layer lines that we are all accustomed to seeing. The other type are cured resin printers. These use LEDs to cure resin in very thin layers. These printers can print with amazing resolution, and I would bet you could scale figures to 1/27 and print them with satisfactory results. Shapeways or a similar printservice could definitely do it
With high resolution, but it might cost quite a bit.

Do you have any knowledge about the strength of resin output? I've been thinking about dipping my toe into the 3D printing world, and have been waiting for the next jump in resolution. I've seen the resin output and it is in fact very high quality without the usual stepping. I'm curious how strong it is for things like car parts.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I've been having a lot of fun with it. My dollhouse.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
Old 2020.11.24, 12:23 AM   #13
TPDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
Do you have any knowledge about the strength of resin output? I've been thinking about dipping my toe into the 3D printing world, and have been waiting for the next jump in resolution. I've seen the resin output and it is in fact very high quality without the usual stepping. I'm curious how strong it is for things like car parts.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I've been having a lot of fun with it. My dollhouse.
I have no personal experience with resin printers, but I have seen some prints with amazing details such as gaming miniatures. Unfortunately they have the reputation for being extremely brittle. I doubt a resin printer is the choice for car parts. I have read, however, that resin printed parts can be quite strong, if you use the right resin. I do not know whether the more inexpensive resin printers can use different resins for different applications. I have a few PLA standard filament printers at work, but I have no idea what I would buy for myself. It is complicated and changing all the time. You can get a printer for $140, or over $100,000. Obviously they have much different capabilities. Unfortunately you also have to be aware of fumes, depending on where you are going to keep it. I am curious to see whether the resin printers put off bad fumes or not. Melting abs plastic filament certainly does.
Old 2020.11.27, 03:44 PM   #14
Minizorro

Fantastic garage!

Wow your dioramas are evolving into an art form!
Super cool and super fun stuff!!! Too much time in your hands due to lockdown?
Minizorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.11.28, 10:40 AM   #15
arch2b

how great would it be to see an engine stand for 130 class motors