Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.10.15, 03:23 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Removing Autoscale decals

Is there a method to safely remove decals from Autoscales without damaging the painted finish? I'm looking to make some custom Autoscales but save some time with a completed base painted Autoscale. The trick is removing the 'hand polished' decals without damaging the paint.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.15, 10:03 PM   #2
SuperFly
bitPimp

I could see possibly doing it on a white painted Autoscale car (so that the plastic underneath is the same color), but I'd think any chemical you use to remove the decal would remove the paint, or make a big smeary mess. I could be wrong, but pretty sure there's a gloss clear coat over everything, and I'm guessing it's not water-based acrylic. If it was, you can get acrylic thinner, or rubbing alcohol or acetone can work. Otherwise, you're looking at paint thinner or turpentine, which will usually go through everything.

I wouldn't do it, unless the body is already trashed. C'mon Arch, get a white body and do it up!

Another option would be to "buff" it out with a dremel and a polishing wheel. Basically grind it off down to the paint, and put a new one in it's place, re-cover with clear coat. Requires very steady hands and a smooth touch.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.16, 07:42 AM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Hand polished Autoscales do not have clear coat paint over decals. In some cases you can scratch them off with a fingernail.

Glosscoat Autoscales are just as you say and would have to be striped.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.16, 10:25 AM   #4
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Hand polished Autoscales do not have clear coat paint over decals. In some cases you can scratch them off with a fingernail.

Glosscoat Autoscales are just as you say and would have to be striped.
I guess everything I have is Glosscoat. If you can scrape them off with a fingernail, I wonder if something like rubbing compound might do the trick, literally polish them off the car?

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.16, 10:56 AM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Tooth polish would be best. Something like "Pearl Drops". Polishing compound not rubbing. Maybe some 2000 grit sandpaper. Anything to minimize the scratches to the surrounding area.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.16, 01:24 PM   #6
TeeSquared
Redline

On a McLaren 12C GT3 body, I removed the decals (as well as paint scuffs left by other cars) with a little 99% rubbing alcohol and an eyeglass cleaning cloth. It did not damage the paint or clear coat.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.17, 11:15 AM   #7
herman

how about soaking the whole body overnight (or maybe a couple of days) in a tub of water with some drops of soft detergent... hopefully to soften the decals... then you can theoretically scrape them off softly... haven't actually done this myself... but i guess it's worth a try...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.17, 11:15 AM   #8
herman

what body do you have in mind?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote