Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.01.01, 04:08 PM   #31
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I see your point. I'll speak with Tommy and see if he can permit alloy mounts for this coming race. .

While we are on the subject of replacement parts. What options do you permit for broken wings for box stock? Does it need to be like for like, or is similar enough. Can cars without wings add them?
Old 2019.01.01, 05:53 PM   #32
Mike Keely

The aluminum pod is only allowed on the LM cars. It has to be the Kyosho pod only. We have one guy that has broken so many of the plastic pods that he could have bought the Kyosho aluminum pod two times now in what he has paid for the plastic replacements.

Kris started to make wings that are about the same as the original C9 wing. We are allowing it but other cars that do not come with wings are not allowed to add them.

Last edited by Mike Keely; 2019.01.01 at 05:58 PM.
Mike Keely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.01, 06:51 PM   #33
EMU
EMUracing

Is this the r246-1202 pod? Which is the same as the 3Racing KZ-10 pod. (3Racing does the r246 production). I am not finding the r246-1202 as still in production, however the r246-1351B MML pod looks like it is back in production but more expensive.

What is being done with the dampers?
Old 2019.01.01, 09:51 PM   #34
Mike Keely

They are still using the stock dampers.
Old 2019.01.01, 10:43 PM   #35
EMU
EMUracing

So, this is a running change that will be permitted at remnant moving forward? Kyosho LM mount, with stock damper. any speciifics as to whether the motor can be screwed in or needs to use the adjustment shims? Is the heatsink permitted? Axle carrier and damper arm height adjustable (it comes with two different height arms). Just want to make clarifications for explanation to outside racers.

We are permitting pn disc dampers for mounts that do not come with a damper. Cars like the long tail McLaren don't have enough space under the roof to house the MM2 mount, but the PN damper clears without a top shock. This also gives parity for the RM cars, which don't get enough love and need a damper for any sort of consistency. Does this raise any flags or backlash on your end?

We want to keep our to the PN damper system with the green springs which are the softest in the latest kit and most similar to the kyosho stock springs.

I will be designing adapters for the stock RM mount for use with the PN damper plate system. I can send the file to kris so that he can print them as needed. And will also make it available on shapeways once it is completed.

Last edited by EMU; 2019.01.01 at 10:49 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.01, 11:01 PM   #36
tommy_greeneyes

Motor pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Keely View Post
I did not say it was discontinued. We do not usually order from Kyosho normally. We were not seeing them available from PN or on Ebay. We have so many guys running the C9 body that we have someone break a rear pod each race day. We also run this class two days a week.
Hey Mike I can understand the situation. We have been trying to keep this class box stock as much as possible. How many people went to the aluminum pod down in Maryland so far.? As long as the stock gear diff and gear ratio I'm okay with it . 9-44 brush motor and 10-44 for the brushless motor
Old 2019.01.01, 11:31 PM   #37
EMU
EMUracing

I am curious as to what part is breaking in the mount. My MM2 mount was cracked in multiple locations and needed to be swapped out. I think that the PN motor is a tighter fit, and beyond reaming the hole for the shaft end of the motor, the plates need to be shaved and endbell faced. Without doing this, the fit is still a bit tight, and the heat and/or vibration could be leading towards cracking.

The LM car has a brushless motor, and the fit is good. Low temperatures, and I haven't seen any sort of cracks or stress marks on the mount.
Old 2019.01.02, 03:12 PM   #38
tommy_greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I am curious as to what part is breaking in the mount. My MM2 mount was cracked in multiple locations and needed to be swapped out. I think that the PN motor is a tighter fit, and beyond reaming the hole for the shaft end of the motor, the plates need to be shaved and endbell faced. Without doing this, the fit is still a bit tight, and the heat and/or vibration could be leading towards cracking.

The LM car has a brushless motor, and the fit is good. Low temperatures, and I haven't seen any sort of cracks or stress marks on the mount.

Yeah Eugene I think I put in a PN 70 turn in that motor pod it needs to be shaved down. The actual white end belt motor fits perfectly in that mount.
Old 2019.01.02, 03:36 PM   #39
Mike Keely

So I will try to sum up all your questions in one post.

Yes, it will be a permanent change.

I think that we only have two guys at this time that have switched over. Most of the other guys are working to purchase them for when theirs do break. I don't think either of these guys will be coming up this week from what I have heard lately.

I do not know the answer to your question about the screws to adjust the gear mesh or the heat sink usage.

We have not made any stipulations on the ride height adjusters. I brought it up to everyone before we took the vote and no one was worried about it.

It is the bottom section of the pod that is breaking. I think that most of them know what you need to do to relieve the stress on the bottom case but it still keeps happening.
Old 2019.01.02, 05:46 PM   #40
EMU
EMUracing

Thanks for the descriptions Mike, it is much appreciated. We will make the appropriate adjustments in our rule set.
Old 2019.01.06, 08:59 AM   #41
Mike Keely

Great day of racing yesterday. Glad that I was competitive yesterday. My last visit was my first race of the season. I found out the hard way that half of my batteries went bad from sitting so long.

Got to see some faces that I have not seen in a while. I hope that they will come back to racing with you. I also was able to talk to a few on-lookers and I think that they bought cars. I hope that you can build your group. I know that the Washington DC group goes up and down and if it was not for Ray we would not have the following we have now.

I know that we had one issue with transponders but after that it went well. If I had one thing to ask for it would be to vacuum the whole area better. The area where we were standing had a lot of debris that I think it slowly got tracked out onto the track. I don't think that this is something that Tommy should have to do. The shop should have someone do this as one more thing to do in preparation for the race. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, I am very thankful that you have such a great facility that we all get to use for our hobby.

I spoke to Tommy and Eugene letting them know that I will not make it to all of their race series. I truly wish I could. I hope to see you guys at our endurance race next month. Thanks MK
Old 2019.01.06, 07:20 PM   #42
EMU
EMUracing

It was a long day for me yesterday, lots of fun... Mike, you found your pace early, and was fast throughout the whole day.

I was a little off pace in the stock class, but close enough that I thought I could have been competitive. I had a bad start, and was collected and died on turn 1.. I pushed as hard as I could, but didnt have much with a mishandling car. 70 comp, I was closer, but not close enough.

Debris is an issue, I think it collects and drops from the crawling track above... definitely should get a good vacuum the day before and day of an event.

Any chance you get to come race would be great Mike, dont worry about the points... just come race.
Old 2019.01.07, 03:13 AM   #43
EMU
EMUracing

Adding some photos...

Kyosho Stock

70 comp

Modified

Atomic prize for modified win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_2071292246270095-800x800.jpeg (114.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg received_293948054645992-800x800.jpeg (118.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg received_380698309172861-800x800.jpeg (109.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg received_357608705026675-800x800.jpeg (132.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 2019.01.07, 06:03 AM   #44
Qball41

Thanks for posting the pics.

Nice to be able to put some faces and names together!
Old 2019.01.07, 08:16 AM   #45
EMU
EMUracing

I dont know if you can see the exhaustion in my face... I had been up for about 30 hours when that picture was taken. The sacrifices made to race Mini-Z