Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > 1/28 Scale Chassis Discussion > Kyosho > Mini-Z Overland MV-01

Old 2004.01.02, 11:08 PM   #1
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Send a message via AIM to latency
Talking LPR: Overland has arrived, Arch2b is a GREAT person to deal with!!!!

Heya fellow nuts.

It has happened, my addiction has spread. I am now into the overlands as well.

Many thanks to Arch, as he and I did a trade of my Ferrari F1 for an Overland that he had purchased from someone. The Overland was a chassis with a few parts. Arch was very gracious enough to spend over 3 hours on it one night, making notes of what was cracked, could need replaced, and the overall condition of the truck. I am VERY happy with what I got, and AM EXCITED TO get this new addiciton started! I am never shipping UPS again either, I shipped day earlier than poor Arch and he still does not have F1, yet I have Overland and he ship USPS. That is my route next time....sorry bud.

So today I come home from the office to find that my shipment from Arch2b came in!

Overlands are such a different beast than the racers. This overland has seen some use, and that is not bad, I love those diamonds in the rough so to speak. I love taking something beaten down, and restoring it to better (and FASTER) than new condition. This overland did not come with a body, so I did purchase the Autoscale BMW X5 (from here btw, and man, SO HAPPY with the speed of delivery!!).

In the box of goodies, Arch tossed in a sweet custom rear antenna he made, some GPM alloy rims (will need some work) and some of the Super Swamper tires, which will be perfect for my rock crawling!!! THANKS ARCH!! I love surprises like that!!

Going over the truck, I immediately broke out the tools. The person that had this before Arch used it outside in the dirt, so disassembling the gearbox showed all kinds of stuff that needed cleaned up. Broke out the isporol, and that was made clean in a snap. While I had the gear box open, I installed a new all alloy main gear from GPM (again bought here!!). The main gears are the first to go on an overland (so I have read), so in Latencyproject style, lets do this right! With the controller I had, I also had to tweak the steering trim all the way to the right so that I could get the front wheels straight...a simple adjustment of the POT on the PCB board fixed that, and I now have a perfectly trimmed and centered steering.

The overland also came with the Kyosho lowdown shocks. Why folks run those, I am not sure yet, but I pulled those and installed a set of stock shocks and lifted the ride height. Next in line was the the rubber. Tossed on some GPM mud tires. Last bit to be installed, an alloy front underguard....these are great for when you miss the down ramp, and nose drag the plastic front end on landing!

Stock bushings tossed. Stock wheel nuts tossed. Bearings, and wheel nuts installed. Budda schmoove now. This baby is on her way. :P

Running a few laps, speed was bad, and the motor spacing was off. The Ovie came with a stock motor, but it would continue to back off the main gear, and I would lose drive. Ah, yes, it needed a 1.0 motor spacer, installed one, and mesh is smooth, and very quiet!

Now, speed. Stock motors are great and all, but every car needs power, hell in my opinion, every lawnmower needs a turbo! If it runs, has an engine and wheels, in my opinion it needs to be made faster! SO, tossing the stock engine into my spare motor compartments in my toolbox, I broke out one of my "it-looks-like-stock-but-damn-that-thing-hauls-rear-custom-motors" that I made. I have 2 of these now, and man, they are SUPER torquey, and fast. Best thing, is they are non-turbo, stock ESC safe...and I made them, so cheap too.

Now, I have an X5 all cleaned up, ready to go. She is honkering fast, and looking great!

Pics ah yes, on to those:

Black alloy underguard (bought from here!! Support the forums!!)

The coolest Whip Antenna, courtesy of ARCH2B!!!

Many thanks to Arch. I am still tracking my f1 to you from the UPS site, they say it should be there Monday!

If any of you have the pleasure to deal with Arch2b, know that he is very reputable, and extremely responsive! Thanks again bud!

Time to grab a beverage, and start some video gaming, talk you guys later!!

l8t

BMW M3 GTR MR02 PNRacing Speedy powered
Corvette C5R MR01 PNRacing Speedy powered
Cup Car conversion ChaserRC Stock Modified powered

KoPropo Helios 10EX

Last edited by latency; 2004.01.02 at 11:19 PM.
latency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.02, 11:37 PM   #2
amac
Mini-z offroader

Nice article. How long did it take to install all those parts?
amac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.03, 12:07 AM   #3
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Talking Not long...

..I tinkered for maybe 1/2 hour or so. I ran it more than I worked on it! It is going to be a blast though!

KoPropo Helios 10EX
Old 2004.01.03, 12:20 AM   #4
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

latency

I know what you mean about addiction.I started alittle over a year ago.I already have 2 mr-01,2 mr-02.1 overlander, not to mention track and a ton of parts.Ive also got numerous mini stuff for my son,brother etc..Hey enjoy.
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.03, 10:05 AM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
latency,
glad to make you happy

opps, the dirty motor pod was mine doing i had to replace the one it came with (inthe parts bag i sent). you can see it was busted pretty bad.

great review too! oh, the lowdown shocks are great for racing overland's. other than that, they kill any offroading ability.

while the chassis was in a healthy used state when i got it, it was exactly as described by the previous owner, so there wasn't any disappointment. it took some ingenuity and a few parts from my bin to get it back in running order and i', really happy latency is happy with it. i hope i've brought another member into the overland world of addiction

sorry about the paint on the gpm wides, they were from an older project and collecting dust so i though you could give them new life. plus you said you like fixer uper's. as soon as you posted your rack crawling track, i new i had to send you a set of the swampers too the added ride height will come in handy.
please post any instructions regarding any mods required to get the swampers to operate freely with the x5 body as i have yet to run that combination. i can start by telling you to shave the knobs off the side of the battery compartment in the front wheel wells and slope that surface there toward the bottom and outside. this helped alot in my land cruiser setup and causes do detrimental harm to the chassis. simple cosmetic filing down really.

i look forward to seeing race reviews and your track pics/experiences

btw, i'll be getting an rcp wide l track very soon for f1! (and the other's) i had to explain to the misses that the f1 required super smooth racing surface, hehe. the offroad tile pack is just for fun!
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.03, 05:06 PM   #6
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Talking Ahh, she is a fast one!

Race day today at Tom Thumb Hobbies and the Ovie took TQ in both Qualifiers, and took 1st overall. I also learned a cool trick that allows me to right myself when I tip over.

That may be VERY handy for the KCup.

KoPropo Helios 10EX