Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.03.15, 08:56 PM   #1
bmmcwhirt

Can I upgrade a MA-020ve to Ma020ve pro this way?

If I have an MR-03VE Pro chassis and a MA-020VE chassis can I simply swap the electronics to make the MA a pro(MHS) and the MR a AFS? Just from the exploded view it looks like it should be fine but want to check with you experts first.
bmmcwhirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.15, 09:17 PM   #2
herman

Haven't had any experience with any of the VE pro boards...
But theoretically, I think they are interchangeable... So I guess you can swap them out to make a ma020ve pro and a mr03ve...

Maybe the others can chime in and give more feedback.
Hmm... Just thinking does the ma020ve board have a core less servo motor now?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.15, 10:44 PM   #3
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Haven't had any experience with any of the VE pro boards...
But theoretically, I think they are interchangeable... So I guess you can swap them out to make a ma020ve pro and a mr03ve...

Maybe the others can chime in and give more feedback.
Hmm... Just thinking does the ma020ve board have a core less servo motor now?
I agree with my man Herman. The esc should be the same. Where things really get different is the lengths of the wiring. Pay close attention and take lots of pictures to refer to later.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.16, 01:04 AM   #4
bmmcwhirt

No worries, I was mostly concerned with size and the servo. I do lots of electronics work so I have plenty of wire and solder, not sure if any of the wire is silicon or not.

Thanks!
bmmcwhirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.16, 05:37 AM   #5
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmcwhirt View Post
No worries, I was mostly concerned with size and the servo. I do lots of electronics work so I have plenty of wire and solder, not sure if any of the wire is silicon or not.

Thanks!
Cool! Should be easy enough then.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.16, 03:40 PM   #6
Minizorro

I though one of the main selling point of the pro was a faster and stronger steering servo, not just a faster radio signal.
I have no experience with pro boards but I assumed the servo motor, if not the servo gears, were different from the standard VE. But I could be totally wrong.
I put a mr03 VE board on my ma02, that was quite straight forward.
Minizorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.16, 06:12 PM   #7
TeeSquared
Redline

The MR-03 electronics and MA020 electronics are NOT the same.

The 03 electronics will work in an AWD but the steering gain will be messed up and you will have to reduce servo EPA, which effectively reduces steering resolution. In addition, the polarity of the pot changes. If you solder it up exactly as the old board comes out, your steering will jam either extreme left or right and not be controllable.

The 020 electronics will not work at all in an MR-03. I have not tried it personally but I have it on good authority that it wont work without modifications.

I believe the difference between the electronics is a firmware change. The 020 uses the MR-02 servo motor and gearing (edit: I see there is some debate over if this is true or not. Would love to know if someone has cracked one open but I suspect it will be the same), and the 03 uses the new coreless motor and much higher gearing. As such, firmware changes are needed to optimize the electronics for whichever kind of servo it is driving (03 or 02 era servo)

Hope this helps,

-T2

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2016.03.16 at 06:18 PM.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.16, 09:44 PM   #8
herman

hmm... interesting... so from teesquared, the ma02ve still uses the old servo motors...

i do remember reading some issues regarding switching boards between the awd and mr02... as i mentioned i don't have much experience with the awd... unfortunately my ma010 has steering issues (doesn't track straight - veers off to one side very slightly - this easily gets compounded over a long straight)... took it apart and put it back together several times to try to resolve it (using a dremel to shave off or reduce some of the chassis that might be rubbing against the servo gears)... to no avail... i do know that it had the old servo motor... just didn't know if the new ma020 had the new coreless servo motor as they do in the mr03 boards...
Old 2016.03.16, 09:48 PM   #9
herman

hmm... kinda confused here... since minizorro was able to put in the mr03ve board into the ma020...
Old 2016.03.17, 02:05 AM   #10
Minizorro

Ok il try to remember what I did to fit the mr03ve board in a MA02.
By the way this was long before kyosho made a proper ma02ve. I remember finding a post somewhere of someone who successfully made the mod so I went ahead confident it will work.
The servo motor is in fact different. I used the motor that came with the original brushed ma02 board. The post above is correct, the wiring is different, I can't remember which wires need to be switched around but it was pretty quick for me to find, trial and error. Probably orange and green needed sswitching around, but I can't remember to be honest.
Thr mr03 cordless motor is smaller and faster, and it's designed for the mr03 new servo gears. The ma02 motor is fatter, I don't own a mr02 so I cannot compare, but it is possible that is just the old generation motors, might be the same.
In any case I have Zero steering issues and cannot notice any steering resolution loss.
My EPA needs to be tweaked, sure but I use a futaba so I need to tweak the EPA with any Miniz anyway.

Last edited by Minizorro; 2016.03.17 at 02:10 AM.
Minizorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.17, 10:19 AM   #11
TeeSquared
Redline

I can confirm the MR02 and MA020 use the same servo motor. I believe the gearing might be the same too but I've never tried swapping gearsets. The motor is interchangeable though.

It's good to hear you managed to get the VE electronics to work in an AWD chassis. I bought a MR03VE with the intention of using its electronics to convert my AWD to brushless but I could never get the steering to work right and eventually abandoned the project.

I see Kyosho now makes a Pro AWD though, so that might be next on my project list
Old 2016.03.17, 12:05 PM   #12
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i could have sworn there was a thread that index'ed the various board releases if no, would be a great thing to have easy enough to find most of the info in google searches by part number. get the part number from exploded view documents. i'm fairly certain there is something like this floating around here already. just need the time to find it.

part number
board designation
photo

all this can be easily found with some searching starting with the exploded views to get part numbers.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.24, 12:26 PM   #13
Kay-Dee
German Racer

Hello

The 02 and the MA020 has the same motorsize but not the same Motor
the 02 one is a 5V and the MA020 a 3V Version.
So if you put that 5V Version onto a 03 board it doesn´t get at full speed and you will have a slow steering !

Kay-Dee
Member of the LMN Racing Team Germany
LMN-Tuningparts
Kay-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.24, 04:19 PM   #14
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay-Dee View Post
Hello

The 02 and the MA020 has the same motorsize but not the same Motor
the 02 one is a 5V and the MA020 a 3V Version.
So if you put that 5V Version onto a 03 board it doesn´t get at full speed and you will have a slow steering !

Ah, yes! Good call. I think the 3V motor has always been used on the 2.4 GHz cars though? (02 and 020?)

I remember upgrading to 2.4 GHz massively improved steering but that may have been more electronics than motor.
Old 2016.03.25, 01:04 AM   #15
Kay-Dee
German Racer

Hy

With the switch to 2.4 Ghz, the response got extremly quicker that gave the feeling about much more steering.
It all startet with new digital steering of the 03 and the coreless servo motor.
The main reason must be, the opportunity of using a gyro, so they switch to
3V with the MA015 and the MF015 too. (Both were released after 03)

Kay-Dee
Member of the LMN Racing Team Germany
LMN-Tuningparts
Kay-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote