Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2019.02.10, 09:43 AM   #16
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
I wish I had the data, would like to have shown the graph.
0-1hr; Tommy, Eugene, Ray, Fisherman
2-4hr; Tommy, Ray, Eugene, Fisherman
4-6hr Tommy, Eugene, Ray, Fisherman

About mid point my group was about 16 down from Tommy and about 13 laps up on Eugene and held this pace for nearly an hour. As with any race though tides turn and Eugene's group had a strong come back to recover when a grub screw on the diff hub backed out and had to troubleshoot/repair. For nearly the entire race it was a close match between 2nd and 3rd.

Lets not forget that for about an hour my group was on about just over same lap as fisherman. That's an incredible feat in itself.

It certainly was a success in that it was a great time spent and had lots of fun. I hope to have the usual video edited soon. I had to stop mid way to change SD cards so there will be an interlude.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.02.10, 09:59 AM   #17
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I'm sure he will chime in when he gets back home but I am really curious as to your perspective on how Qball 41 took it all in and interacted with the "wild bunch". For a rookie he got a great participational interaction with great cross section of what is Mini-Z on the East Coast. You guys keep up the good work. It shows in the regional growth that is taking place.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.02.10, 10:24 AM   #18
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
I'm sure he will chime in when he gets back home but I am really curious as to your perspective on how Qball 41 took it all in and interacted with the "wild bunch". For a rookie he got a great participational interaction with great cross section of what is Mini-Z on the East Coast. You guys keep up the good work. It shows in the regional growth that is taking place.
Qball was immediately on pace with the front runners. He rivaled my pace early on until there were the issues with their differential. I think I did one or two stints where I only remember seeing him on track once or twice.
Old 2019.02.10, 10:42 AM   #19
arch2b

Our team decided to change batteries every 30 minutes, could have gone a bit longer if needed. We ran Eneloop, the grey label and Amazon grey label variants. The brand name cells in my opinion where a bit stronger for longer and raelly performed well all day. We also drove for 1 hour cycles. I didn't mind at all and gave you more opportunity to settle down and find a comfortable rhythm. Scott ran 3 hours, I ran 2 hours and Mike ran 1 hour. Mike had it rough as he had no practice with the car before and had to jump in, get used to the car and run for an hour with no chance to get familiar before hand of tweak radio trims and yet did a good job. We also changed all 4 tires at about 3:30 mark.

Kris has photos he shared on FB of all the car setups. The attached was our car. This was setup and prepared by Scott. There are minimal upgrades by choice/design; ball diff, bearings, knuckles, front springs and 4th servo gear, +2 front wheels, PN KS Med front, PN KS super soft rear, PN V3 3500Kv.

Last edited by arch2b; 2019.02.10 at 10:47 AM.
Old 2019.02.10, 10:46 AM   #20
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I am glad that he held his own but I was speaking in a more general sense. You know, star struck so to speak. First time in the presence of the forum giants. Like we all interacted on initial meetings. Since that now he is officially a "roadie" will it increase his forum participation now that he has met and competed with and against what were just screen names.. That initial meeting for me at NIKOCON 11 has taken me from coast to coast to put names and faces together and made for me what I hope will continue to be life long friends.
Old 2019.02.10, 10:48 AM   #21
arch2b

I think Scott fit right in so to speak and would never know he'd never raced with us before. The garage can be at times a talkative bunch which is part of the charm and fun. You always have a good laugh with this group, never dull. One of the reasons it feels like 'home' so to speak. You're very familiar with the bunch already

I'm sure it's a lot to take in to meet a building full of new people and put names to faces. I'm horrible with names so it's even more daunting for me still.
Old 2019.02.10, 11:03 AM   #22
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I think he took a picture of my pit stall, and will frame it to hang at his track as an example of what is not allowed for a pit stall to look like.
Old 2019.02.10, 11:34 AM   #23
Qball41

It was an absolute blast! I left after the race and drove straight back to Florida. I got home in about 7:30 this morning. So I guess it was two types of endurance driving LOL

Everybody was super friendly, the track was great. Way too much food!

I've done a couple of short endurance races before, and this one was different in that the positions were still up for grabs until really late in the race.

it was nice to race with and get to put a face with a lot of the names you see on here like EMU, Arch2b, Mike and ByeBye.

only thing that could have made it better, was two more teams to fill out the grid. Yes it was challenging like EMU said, but it wasn't insurmountable. I hope some of the guys that were hesitant will field a team next year. I'm hoping to bring a whole Florida team next year!
Old 2019.02.10, 11:49 AM   #24
arch2b

I look forward to it! Intervals for the 'endurance' event have not yet been set so it could be less than a year. That's up to the Remnant guys to decide other locations very well may host as well. It is called "East Coast' for that reason We are looking to build a strong and healthy regional community as well as local.

Will need to setup the race using championship manager though if we want to pull race data like graphs, etc. Results could also be uploaded to ZRound's results page online.

Kudo's on the rules to the Remnant guys. The motor and battery restrictions made the event very competitive. So long as you had a car, you didn't have to spend a lot to make it competitive as shown with our teams car.
Old 2019.02.10, 12:02 PM   #25
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Scott I am extremely happy that you made the trip and had a good time. Once you get a couple guys to travel beyond their normal comfort zone it doesn't take long for the road crew to gather members. Soon you will need a bigger vehicle to hold everyone and everything.

I'm going to do my best to make connections with you and your group when I am down for the Gator's next month.
Old 2019.02.10, 12:31 PM   #26
Qball41

On the drive back I had lots of time to think about what worked and what I would maybe change. But overall, I think we hit it right on about 90%.

Main thing I think I would adjust was the sensitivity to of the car just a touch. I should have smoothed it out a bit and not had it so on edge like you would for a 8 minute sprint race. I think Ray was trying to do that, but I was working against him! lol

Being newer to this that most of the guys there, and new to that track, Ray was the perfect guy to team up with! He shared his experience and direction and made sure everything was smooth!

Ray is right, the rules package was well thought out. There was room to build your own car and innovate, but also kept the competition close.

There was a star struck aspect. I knew I would be racing against the best drivers on the East Coast! EMU, that picture is so I can say "I was there and raced with guy!"

The racers were such a welcoming group. From the moment I walked in on Friday, Gary made sure I was welcome and had anything I needed.

Can't wait for my next trip up to race.
Old 2019.02.10, 01:05 PM   #27
Mike Keely

Well what are you doing next weekend? We will be racing! LOL...

It was nice to meet you Scott. Sounds like you have a good plan to try and grow the class down in Fla. Hope you had a good trip back home. Until we see you again take care.
Old 2019.02.10, 04:51 PM   #28
SuperFly
bitPimp

I tuned in for the last probably two hours on the FB broadcast. It was very engrossing! When it was over, whoever's phone was broadcasting just went over and unceremoniously grabbed it and turned it off. Lol, I was all ready for a 30 minutes of post-race breakdown discussion, champagne spraying, and interviews.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.02.10, 05:25 PM   #29
Qball41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
I tuned in for the last probably two hours on the FB broadcast. It was very engrossing! When it was over, whoever's phone was broadcasting just went over and unceremoniously grabbed it and turned it off. Lol, I was all ready for a 30 minutes of post-race breakdown discussion, champagne spraying, and interviews.
When the race ended I think everybody just wanted to pull off the track and collapse!

I was surprised how busy I stayed for the whole 6 hours. Between driving, marshalling, and keeping the pits ready for pitstops, there wasn't as much downtime as I expected.

I also think at the end, everyone was happy to have been a part of it regardless of where they finished!
Old 2019.02.10, 06:14 PM   #30
arch2b

apologies, I have no issues with being the video guy but I'm no good at commentary Eugene and Mike are great at that stuff but certainly not me. Next time I'll do my best to get the post celebration credits. It's often hard to simply regather everyone at the end for group photos as everyone wants to crash, celebrate, pack up, etc.