Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.04.17, 01:55 PM   #1
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

Mini-Z USA Cup Series 2019

Rules and regulations are complete. Can't wait for the racing to begin.

Last edited by arch2b; 2019.04.17 at 08:22 PM.
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.04.17, 09:30 PM   #2
mugler

Thumbs up

Very Interesting.
Would be curious to find out dates locations and competition structure when they're released.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.04.18, 11:41 AM   #3
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

Yes, plans are for some Kyosho sponsored events before the end of the year.
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.04.18, 08:21 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Can we submit questions on the rules that can be passed along to Kyosho? I'm not sure we have anyone from Kyosho USA reading along anymore...

Why such a limited list of permitted Autoscales? This seems like a counter-intuitive move for Kyosho given the extensive catalog of Autoscales to pull from. Especially given the motivation to generate sales with retailers. By the time events happen, it is likely you will not be able to find one or more in stock anymore given the limited production runs made.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.04.19, 05:57 AM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPMini-z View Post
Yes, plans are for some Kyosho sponsored events before the end of the year.
Seems to be quite a bit short on specifics, don't you think? While we are on specifics, are you required to use the hokey little adapter that converts the Futaba 3PK series radios to 2.4 gigs or is it allowable to just convert the module for direct use.

Curious as well as to why there are no "LM" classes?
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.04.19, 06:07 AM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I assume that the limited body options reflect more recent production runs, bodies that have stock in the system. I do not like the limited body options. Could this be in the scope of not providing unfair advantage for newer racers with as rich ASC collections? Or just to promote sale of the newer ASC bodies which they have available for sale?

There are plenty of points that I could make issue with the rule set, however, this is the Kyosho Cup so I will not go there. My only true issue is the limitation of bodies. And it looks like the MM2 mount is limited only to brushless motors (probably to restrict it from the brushed only RWD production class).

It is hard to judge about the radio, whether it will be required to use the r246 adapter with the 3pk.

Last edited by EMU; 2019.04.19 at 06:23 AM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.04.19, 06:27 AM   #7
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Since I look for the same things that you do in a rule set it just becomes glaringly obvious that they are trying to restrict some options.
Old 2019.04.19, 06:44 AM   #8
arch2b

Well, lets be honest, the Kyosho Mini-Z Cup rules have ALWAYS been stringent. I’ll say the same thing to those that complain about PN rules, It’s a manufacturer series they are sponsoring, they get to make the rules. We may not like or agree with them but they are putting the time, money and effort into the series and should be thankful for that. I’m thankful for any organized racing series we can get frankly and as always will adapt to the rules as necessary.

I believe your on the right course in that the list of permitted auto scales are current production models but as i mentioned, that availability is shaky at best and has a high likelihood of causing more problems than it solves. The old R8 for example is getting a re-release... one of the preferred racing bodies and not on the list...?

If i’m Not mistaken, the Jpn series has more classes that include LM? It’s been a long while since i tried following the Jpn rules graphic and asked for translations.

Lets hope there is some flexibility with the implementation of the rules. It’s one thing to put them on paper and another to implement them across the entire NA market when dates/times are still unknown as currently tied to available stock items. I can appreciate that notion, to pick from currently available items to create a more neutral playing field but NA availability is not the same as Jpn and inventory levels are finicky at best.

It may read like a lot of boo-hoo’ing but I’m all in. I fully support PN in their endeavors and will likewise support Kyosho. Lets not forget, we haven’t had the Mini-Z Cup since 2004 or there about, it’s nice to see it come back.
Old 2019.04.19, 07:23 AM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

Im not trying to bash their rules, I am in the same boat as you... I understand it as a manufacturer cup will be quite restrictive, but I have a very difficult time trying to shoehorn any of my equipment into a class that is being run.

I believe that either R8 would be permissible, as it does not say the year or designate new/old like the NSX. I am surprised that the new Corvette is not on the list though, might be amended later.
Old 2019.04.19, 08:26 AM   #10
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I only bring up the radio portion of the rules since I am a "lefty" that has had issues in the past with the little adapter not being as stable a platform as I might like.

Like EMU it becomes a "shoehorn" concern that makes it perhaps necessary to have to add additional equipment to the inventory just to take part in an otherwise undisclosed program. If there were solid dates and places posted for events it would be a bit different but right now all we have are some ambiguous promises of things that "may" come.

Is this whole thing just another vague attempt at creating something new and or exciting? Thanks but I'll wait for season 2 to see how it turns out.
Old 2019.04.19, 11:58 AM   #11
arch2b

There were always leeway with judges discretion in years past. I would hope that would not change.

Not judging anyone here . We all know as soon as you post any kind of rules it’s going to create some measure of grumbling, something PN is very familiar with as well

As mike points out, until dates and locations are announced, it still feels speculative given the previous attempts to get the cup series back in NA. I’m still excited at the glimmer of hope though!

Like emu, this series may not be a good fit for some as it’s not as flexible at PN meaning your focusing on only a subset of the scale. It’s nit going to be for everyone. For retail locations, it’s a glimmer of hope that it can push to get more into these locations. Hopefully it’s not limited to retail locations and some active and well supported clubs get a shot. Just more speculation though until more definitive information is put forward.
Old 2019.04.19, 06:18 PM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

I am definitely interested in attending, as I had passed up on the last kyosho cup when I first came into the hobby.

I don't know how far I would travel for it, but I would go out of my way to get there. It would mean some new gear to comply to the rules, but that is normal for any event really.
Old 2019.04.20, 04:32 PM   #13
mugler

The way I'm reading post #3 it sounds like Kyosho America is willing to sponsor some single event mini-z races in U.S. locations where a) they carry Kyosho products and b) already have or can set up an RCP track. It doesn't seem words "Cup" & "Series" are meant literally...it would be cool if they do though... we shall see.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.04.20, 04:54 PM   #14
arch2b

It certainly sounds like a series of single events, which is fine by me. Not like we have any other series with larger tie-in's anymore in NA. The days of regional and finals past a long time ago. The Cup used to be a regional/final format and who knows, if it does well, maybe it could be again.
Old 2019.04.20, 06:04 PM   #15
EMU
EMUracing

It sounds like a series of regional events, possibly followed by a finals event if the is enough of a following...