Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.03.14, 08:53 AM   #46
Traveler
of both Time and Space

My track is small, but its in my finished basement, so temps are fairly constant. Here's a picture!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smooth Track.jpg (207.6 KB, 212 views)
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.14, 08:55 AM   #47
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Wow! It looks bigger in that picture
Old 2013.03.14, 07:12 PM   #48
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
that reminds me very much of how i got our club started with my track in my basement
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.14, 08:52 PM   #49
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed View Post
When we used to run slick side it always seemed like there was a ton more traction than the rough... I'm starting to think that track temperature has more effect on the smooth side's traction level than it does on the rough side.
back in 2007 before i went to run my first race @ kenon, i ran my track on the smooth side not many tires worked on that surface as i recall... the old kyosho radials and a few of the gpm tires
so far almost every tire that i have used has worked ok if not great... some have had far too much grip
as far as temperature affecting it more on the smooth side.... i dont think its more or less.... its different!
seems to me the rear is affected on the rough side and the front on the smooth side

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.15, 07:37 AM   #50
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Grant, if I go to a harder spring in the rear of my PN top shock, will that give me more off power steering? Now, when I let off the throttle before the end of the straight and then try to make the 180 degree turn, my car doesn't come around.
Old 2013.03.15, 10:49 AM   #51
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Grant, if I go to a harder spring in the rear of my PN top shock, will that give me more off power steering? Now, when I let off the throttle before the end of the straight and then try to make the 180 degree turn, my car doesn't come around.
it will help ...u can also try softer in the front

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

Old 2013.03.16, 05:55 AM   #52
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Thanks! I went from Red to Orange on front and Blue to Green on top shock and it helped... But I need more! Can I do anything with side damper springs? Currently running shiney silver stock spring. Thanks for the help!
Old 2013.03.17, 09:47 PM   #53
blt456

I got to drive on the smooth side today at my local track. Only thing I changed from my rough side setup was front tires and tplate. I think the setup changes are minimal and don't require much effort, at least for Inside Line Racing.

This side does feel different than the rough side, but it is not a huge difference.
blt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.17, 10:37 PM   #54
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Quote:
Thanks! I went from Red to Orange on front and Blue to Green on top shock and it helped... But I need more! Can I do anything with side damper springs? Currently running shiney silver stock spring. Thanks for the help!
the shiny silver springs are stiffer than red but softer than green
me personally i run the blue springs from the top shock set
(0) preload with a #4 g-10 t-plate

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

Old 2013.03.17, 10:38 PM   #55
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
I got to drive on the smooth side today at my local track. Only thing I changed from my rough side setup was front tires and tplate. I think the setup changes are minimal and don't require much effort, at least for Inside Line Racing.

This side does feel different than the rough side, but it is not a huge difference.
glad to hear! see you next weekend!

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

Old 2013.03.18, 04:03 AM   #56
bcpzx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasuji View Post
glad to hear! see you next weekend!
Did you not get the e-mail?
We did a club vote and have been shunned from the ILR community.
bcpzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.18, 04:12 AM   #57
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Thanks for info Grant! I needed to go up 1mm on rear offsets under Mosler to get it to turn. Now all is great.

I agree that the smooth side is more consistent, and has very good rear traction, but not so much front bite that traction roll is a problem (the rough side of my home track was really bad about this). So overall, I think I like the smooth side better But I need more time on it. Would also be curious to see consistency of smooth side between tracks as I hope to travel to a couple of PN regionals this year.

For kicks, I put my F1 car (that never ran worth a flip on any surface and was getting ready to be sold) down on the smooth side. Magic! Drives like a dream! Go figure!
Old 2013.03.18, 06:41 AM   #58
MXMRCR

Quote:

For kicks, I put my F1 car down on the smooth side. Magic! Drives like a dream! Go figure!
the N.I.A. guys in Japan run their F1 series on the smooth side, here in the UK there is talk of running an F1 only meeting on the weekend of the Brit GP trying to replicate Silverstone in RCP and i am suggesting we run on the smooth side.

NoWayPedro
#BTRR
MXMRCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 05:08 PM   #59
Traveler
of both Time and Space

More Impressions

I've always had to be very careful vacuuming the rough side because I can't stop the brushes on my vacuum cleaner from rotating (like you can on some models) and sometimes the brushes would dig into the surface a little and stick. I was afraid this would be worse on the smooth side, as it might be more likely to create a vacuum seal, but it's actually easier to vacuum with no such digging or sticking.

Another thing I noticed is that the gap between tiles is much smaller ( nonexistent actually) with the smooth side up. I realize this doesn't make sense, as flipping the track over shouldn't change this tolerance and I initially couldn't explain it. But I think it has to do with the surface the track is on. Carpet! With rough side up, I think the tiles could more easily separate a little when walked on or even raced on, creating a gap in the seam, because the smooth side could slide against the carpet. Now with the rough side down against the carpet, there is less moving of tiles, so there's no gap. Just my hypothesis as to why, but I’m happy with the fact that there are no gaps in the track now!