Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.03.12, 02:39 PM   #1
hrdrvr
MBMZR

New garage track

I went by Wal Mart and picked up a few more packages of tiles. I allreay had a few packs in the attic from way back when I first got xmods. I finally got to claim the garage back from the wife, so I promtly got yelled at

The layout should be very easy to change. Im going to stick with this for a bit while I try some things out on paper in an attpemt to get a more dificult set up.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.12, 03:21 PM   #2
rharris
that Orange car is fast..

Send a message via Yahoo to rharris
That takes me back. Looks like fun.

Me and my son did the same thing, but we used the multi color tiles from sam's club (wall-mart's version of costco).

One thing to consider, try to keep your lanes on the wide side for your high speed sections. The infield can be 1 tile, but you should consider having a fast section that wraps around the outside that is 1 1/2 tiles wide.

Another easy thing to do is take PVC and use it for the borders. Then all you do is connect it together. The bottom is always one big set of tiles and you just change the PVC around. You can duct tape it down in a few places to keep it from moving around too much.

We eventualy went to RCP tracks, but the home made version was a lot of fun for a long time.

Come Race with us!!! Club Pics
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.12, 06:45 PM   #3
rkk

Send a message via MSN to rkk Send a message via Yahoo to rkk
Love to see the home made tracks. I had a similar track for some time. One word f caution though if you do go to PVC it can take quite a toll on your bodies. Well at least it did for me, but I don't drive a very clean line.
rkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.12, 06:58 PM   #4
hrdrvr
MBMZR

rharris - Thanks for the advice. Once I claim a little more space, Il might widen it up some. Ill definatly stretch it out a bit and widen out some higher speed turns. I dont really need to get too high speed. I have a place at work to run fast.
http://minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23797
I get to race with a few people there and have a good time. With this track, Im just trying to have somewhere to drive at home It should also help my driving skills quite a bit, being so tight.

rkk - I dont think Ill go PVC. I used the small soft walls on purpose. Hopefully Ill get hung up on them and be motivated to not run into them I get my cars beat enough by some of the guys at work ( mysefl included) so I definatly dont want my track beating my cars too.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2007.03.12, 08:46 PM   #5
benmlee

I used swimming pool noodles for borders with short PVC pipe to connect them together. Worked ok. Still need to tape down the noodles, otherwise, they start to move. I probably could have cut the noodles in half and tape them down also.
benmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.12, 11:31 PM   #6
rharris
that Orange car is fast..

Send a message via Yahoo to rharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr
I have a place at work to run fast.
http://minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23797
I get to race with a few people there and have a good time.
Man that gives me an idea. How cool would it be to carpet your garage floor wall to wall with that stuff... or the kids play room?

I have more RCP track then I can ever use, but I can't set up a decent layout in my garage becouse the lanes are fixed. But with carpet and some padded borders you would be able to lay it out anyway you wanted. Just vacume the floor, throw down some planks, and your racing.

Come Race with us!!! Club Pics
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.13, 07:28 AM   #7
hrdrvr
MBMZR

benmlee - Noodles are a great idea! I only wish they made them skinnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris
Man that gives me an idea. How cool would it be to carpet your garage floor wall to wall with that stuff... or the kids play room?

My goal for my garage track was to have wall to wall carpeting. Whatever stuff gets stored around the edge would serve as borders there, and Id just have to throw down a few barriers when Id want to race (or take them up when I need the space).

A buddy of mine is renting a house. The landlord threw in this cheap carpet all through out his house. Its a perfect running surface, but he hasnt got past his first xmod I take my cars over there and dream every now and then. It doesnt look all that good, but it sure is fun!

BTW, I love not having to deal with only 90 and 45* turns, and fixed widths. You can do so much more with layouts IMO.

LET's Go Racing!

Last edited by hrdrvr; 2007.03.13 at 07:32 AM.