Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.01.30, 07:22 PM   #1
2zer0

Bad Titanium Gear Sound?

Well, I recently installed my titanium main gear and alloy main gear mount 2 days ago. Since then it hasn't been sounding right. It's not like the sound when the stock gear was stripped, it sounds like it needs oil or something? I took a vid of it, hopefully you guys might be able to catch the sound. You can hear it most about in the middle of the vid, that's when I start to put on more throttle. Any help would be appreciated I'm even more afraid to run my OL now than when the stock gear was stripped.

I don't know if this would make any difference but when I got the alloy main gear mount it came with 1 very small gold "doughnut". I'm pretty sure this is supposed to "hold" the titanium main gear in place. But the thing is, it only came with 1 gold doughnut. Isn't there supposed to be a second one to replace the otherside?

OL Sound Vid

Last edited by 2zer0; 2004.01.30 at 07:28 PM.
2zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.30, 07:41 PM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Gears n stuff

I did listen to/see the video.
Sounds like the gears are not meshing too good.
The small "donuts" that you refered to are bushings, these are oilite bronze, they replace the standard plastic units used to hold the main gear in place.
You should get two, one goes on the gearbox/motor mount and the second into the idler gear cover.
As I said, the Overland comes with plastic bushes, so ensure the standard plastic bush is used in place of the missing oilite bronze unit.

I suggest you invest in a bearing kit, it's by far one of the best upgrades you can put on the Overland. Ensure the bearing kit you get is compatible, I suggest the Mini-ZRacer.com Dry bearing Set
You won't get better bearings than these

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.30, 10:11 PM   #3
shortdude
The 239er

Send a message via AIM to shortdude Send a message via Yahoo to shortdude
do you have the right spacer in for your pinion gear, it sounds loose bro.
shortdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.30, 11:53 PM   #4
2zer0

Mondo: Yea at first that's what I thought, but I checked and the gears were fitting like a glove.
Yes, bushings, that's the word! I thought I should've got 2 of them. But anyway, I replaced the gold bushing with the stock plastic one, so I have plastic bushings on both sides now.
I would like to get some of those bearings but I'm trying to stay away from buying online for awhile

shortdude: I checked that too. I made sure I had the 11t/12t spacer in and I stared at the pinion and counted 12. Still no luck

Just to add, I also cleaned the gearbox and made sure that there wasn't any hair or gunk caught in there.
Old 2004.01.31, 01:57 AM   #5
shortdude
The 239er

Send a message via AIM to shortdude Send a message via Yahoo to shortdude
blow it out with some compresseed air, and can u clarify exactly where the sound is comin from
shortdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.31, 01:34 PM   #6
2zer0

Quote:
Originally posted by shortdude
blow it out with some compresseed air, and can u clarify exactly where the sound is comin from
Yea, I used what's left of my compressed air. There wasn't much in it so I need to pick up a new one.
When I listen very closely, the sound is coming right from where the titanium gear is. It almost sounds like the gear is wobbly. I checked without the alloy main gear mount and move the main gear by hand, it easily moves side to side. Not sure if that's normal?
Old 2004.01.31, 04:20 PM   #7
toyotaland369
BMW M3

sounds like you need bearings
Old 2004.02.01, 08:57 AM   #8
pukkita

coul please someone post a vid or audio file with the sound of a good meshed OL? It will be an unvaluable reference to konw if ours is right...

Also, if it doesn't mesh properly using the proper spacer (I tried my 11/12T and the spacer was too thick) what are your tricks for making it to mesh properly?
pukkita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.03, 02:47 AM   #9
2zer0

toyotaland369: As much as I really want to get bearings(maybe this what I really need), I'm trying to stay away from buying from the internet. But who knows, I might eventually give in(I bet you I will in a few days).

pukkita: Yes, great idea. If someone out there could post a vid/audio file that would help.

Also I've been thinking... I remember I played for about 10 more mins after I thought I heard my main gear strip. Could it be possible I stripped my 12t pinion in the process? And this is why it's creating this sound with the ti main gear.
Old 2004.02.05, 07:53 PM   #10
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

I had that problem with a GPM Ti Idler Gear.
It was wobbly, and slow and loud.
I tried everything, mesh, etc., everything that's been discussed here.
I eventually replaced it with a delrin/ti, and then moved the old one to a different OL, and it ran way better. wierd.
I can't be sure, but I think that it had something to do with the gearbox.
You might try bearings, then if that doesn't work, try the delrin/ti main gear.
stuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.07, 01:28 AM   #11
2zer0

Well then. I guess I will get some bearings. Darn, I'll have to save up some more money though... just bought myself some new stikfas to customize
Old 2004.02.08, 12:17 PM   #12
BLiND
None better.

try a different pinion gear
BLiND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.11, 04:52 PM   #13
2zer0

Quote:
Originally posted by BLiND
try a different pinion gear
Okay, I just tried that this morning and I used the 11t pinion, which I had never taken out so it's brand new. It sounds different... I'm not sure if it's different in a good way or a bad way? Sort of sounds like those long grass trimmers for the grass edges. You know, the ones that they use for when they need to trim the grass near the sidewalk(gah, why can't I remember the name?). Anyway, I'll edit this post with a vid in a few minutes, hopefully you'll be able to tell the difference in sound.
Old 2004.02.11, 04:55 PM   #14
BLiND
None better.

make sure you use the proper spacer in the motor clip for the pinion gear that you choose.
BLiND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.11, 06:25 PM   #15
McLaren F1 T3
MAN SHOOT

Send a message via AIM to McLaren F1 T3 Send a message via Yahoo to McLaren F1 T3
hey blind, you figure out what was the problem with your OL?

cheers,

mike