Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.12.08, 12:53 PM   #61
unwritten

thanks for all the input guys...
im going to follow Tim's setup...
PN Low Down Knuckles 0.3 shim underneath. 0.8 above knuckle (below ball) and 0.2 shim at the top. it seems to feels the best and no droop.
again... thanks guys...
unwritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 07:31 AM   #62
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

try running with no shim on top. seem you run a lot of camber gain. are you looking for steering?
dvsstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 12:13 PM   #63
unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsstrike View Post
try running with no shim on top. seem you run a lot of camber gain. are you looking for steering?
yes,
i like a lot of steering...
Old 2010.12.09, 01:14 PM   #64
unwritten

the thing is, that if I dont run the top shim, theres a slight droop. my mr-03 always feels weird with droop...
Old 2010.12.09, 02:48 PM   #65
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

try the gold spring(hardest ) you will be surprised on how well it works
dvsstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.13, 08:11 AM   #66
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Just wanted to say, I have run a couple packs of practice cells, a couple of qualifying heats and two ten minute mains with the front suspension. No lost e-clips, but I will admit, I removed the curbing from the track for our HFAY BTE event.

I will say, I put the low down set up on a different cat. I picked up one of the new PN motor pods, so I was able to build a complete RR package. I usually run a lot of RR parts, but finally got around to getting a pod that could handle the tri-shock. I will most likely do a little write-up about my build...at least show some pics of it in the RR section

I had some good runs in the HFAY BTE, which should be a pretty decent guage for me as to how well the car handles on a small tight track. I have ranked fairly well in the past, and hope to do so again this time. I had some clean runs, and even though it was my first time with the set up (finished bulding it friday afternoon right before our race night started), I managed to get within a few hundreths of the fast lap of the night. With some set up time, I am sure I could get another tenth or tw oout of the car, along with another lap or two out of the ten minute run.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.16, 12:46 PM   #67
unwritten

my front end seems to hop more than usual. is this because the medium spring is too stiff for my car? it felt soft enough when i was setting it up. but as soon as i drive the car, the car started hopping in and out of corners. please help.....
Old 2010.12.16, 01:10 PM   #68
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Additional grip on side loads may be peeling the tires up on the edges and creating the hop. Make sure inside edges are well attached also.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.16, 02:01 PM   #69
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwritten View Post
my front end seems to hop more than usual. is this because the medium spring is too stiff for my car? it felt soft enough when i was setting it up. but as soon as i drive the car, the car started hopping in and out of corners. please help.....
Try using a thick dampening grease on the king pins where they go thru the lower suspesion ball. Start with something around Kyosho 30,000 and work your way up from there if needed. It also helps to have just a little bit of droop in the front end, around .2mm would help and not affect the car very much.

Reflex Racing Mantis Worx DG-Designs Psycho Cells

Last edited by VAzRACER; 2010.12.16 at 02:06 PM.
VAzRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.16, 02:07 PM   #70
CristianTabush

Thanks Matt and Mike!

Exactly, as specified, also make sure your side wall is not too tall on your tires, or the additional grip generated by this front end will make your car chatter a bit.

I ALWAYS run with Grease in the front of my car, and like Matt said, we start with K30000 and move up.

I will be testing this set-up at the bumpiest track in the World (literally!!!) in a couple of weeks. I will give you guys more feedback on this.

We are looking into getting different spring rates as well, we are just trying to get the factory to get them right
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.16, 02:37 PM   #71
hrdrvr
MBMZR

When I first set this suspension up I really liked the balance of my car with the medium springs, and the tires (small glued side wall) and wheels I was running before. I had some chatter coming onto the straight (fastest corner on the layout) and in some of the bumpier spots. My balance was so good, I was scared to add any damping to the front. I opted to add a drop of the Kyosho oil that comes with the oil shock. It solved the chatter, didnt change the balance of my set up, and hasnt needed replacing yet. Even when I swapped the set up to a different car, the residue from the oil that was left in the lower ball was enough to keep the chatter down on the new set up.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.16, 03:26 PM   #72
CristianTabush

Thanks for the feedback Landon!
Old 2010.12.16, 03:52 PM   #73
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

i too am loving this front end. ive been talking with landon about it and i feel it has taking so much slop out of the front end my driving has improved alot. the car feels more consistent and i feel more comfortable in driving the car a little harder. i have had to do very little if anything to this setup once i got it shimmed. i brush the rcp off the spring and may add a little bit of the kyosho 15000 grease and its all good. i feel this along with the tri shock make the car handle great. its the best and most consistent me and my cars have ever been. now i cant wait for the qteq t bar.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.16, 07:25 PM   #74
unwritten

Cristian,
i was looking at some of the photos from your blog and noticed that your upper ball are thicker than the one that comes with the kit. i looked like the old delrin ball from the RR Long King Pin setup. the reason i wanted to know is because the thicker ball added 0.5 more preload on the suspension. i just wanted to adjust my preload accordingly. im still playing around with the preload and the ride height. i feel that my car is still lower at the back right now, even with a very small tires up front and a trued tires at the back. it feels like im still dragging the back a little. i wanted to see if i can slam the front with very little play on the suspension will change the characteristic of the car. but overall, i love the steering feels with this front end + the 4deg caster....
Old 2010.12.16, 07:28 PM   #75
CristianTabush

This is because it was a prototype. I now run the low profile balls. The settings are on the product page on the website.