Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.02.03, 12:03 AM   #1
TheSteve
VE7FM

4PK with Mini-Z ASF install - a HOWTO

This thread presents a very simple way to install the KO RF-901SM module into the Futaba 4PK or 4PKS transmitter so it can be used to control a Mini-Z, Dnano etc.

I realize there is already a thread for this topic however the information given isn't super clear. This howto is to present a clear and simple mod for people.

This mod requires only the 4PK, the RF-901SM module, heatshrink, a servo extension and some double-sided tape.
Only 6 solder connections are required!

Here we go:

#1 - Open up the plastic casing of the RF-901SM module, carefully remove the board from the casing, make sure the antenna is straight and the antenna wire will gently pull out. Cut your servo extension and solder it to the three points on the bottom of the board as shown in this picture:

#2 - Remove the black plastic extension on the bind button and then slip some heatshrink over the tx module. Lightly shrink it and then use a sharp knife to remove the material blocking access to the bind button and LED. You're goal is to have something that looks like this:

#3 - Open up the Futaba 4PK transmitter. You will need to remove the top push button(it pulls off) and the upper rubber grip as its hiding one of the screws. Once its open you can easily slide the battery tray out and set it a side. This is what the tray you're removing looks like:

#4 - Gently lift the trigger assembly and the charge jack PCB's out. They will both come out easily and can gently be moved out of the way so we have better access to solder the other end of the servo extension lead. Solder the three connections as shown here:

#5 - Put the charge jack PCB and trigger assembly back into place carefully. Make sure no wires are pinched or will get pinched when the back cover of the radio is reinstalled. Route the extension over to the right and then down the grip assembly. You will need to use a knife to cut a small notch in the top of the battery compartment so the extension will not get pinched when reinstalling the back cover. It should look something like this:

#6 - Reinstall the back cover of the 4PK making sure no wires are pinched. You can then apply some double-sided tape to the module and install it in the front of the battery compartment with the antenna routed along the back or front of the compartment. Plug the servo extension connectors together to complete the installation of the new transmit module. To keep the main battery pack from moving around I use a little double-sided tape on it, that way it will not fall out when binding a new car. The completed install should look like this:

#7 - Create a new model for use with your Mini-Z, Dnano etc. The default settings you should use are:

RXSYS - RX TYPE: FASST-C1
RESPONSE: NORMAL(GENERAL)

EPA - ST LFT: 50
ST RGT: 50
TH FWD: 60
TH BRK: 60

SUBTR - TH :F 30

You can of course fine tune the settings from there - too much steering ATV can/will break the servo, so be careful turning it up!

To control your MiniZ you move the power switch to the left "DISP ON" position, to use Futaba FASST you move it to the right "PWR ON"

For binding just open the battery compartment, push the button and turn the 4PK on, wait for the LED to go out or dim and then push the bind button on your MiniZ and turn it on. Once the LED on the MiniZ turns on bright turn both the 4PK and the Mini-Z off and then back on.

As with any howto you perform this mod at your own risk. If its beyond your skill level ask a friend for help! Questions/comments let me know.

If you've just performed the mod welcome to a whole new world of Mini-Z control!

Last edited by TheSteve; 2021.01.03 at 01:53 PM.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.03, 02:14 AM   #2
NoBrainer

Great how to!
Thanks man!
Old 2013.03.06, 03:17 PM   #3
TheSteve
VE7FM

Thought I would bump up this thread with the additional info needed if running a 4PK with the mr03ve brushless system installed into an AWD car.
This programming prevents the red light from flickering on the car which is indicating a loss of signal.

OK, 4PK programming. There are several menu options in the 4PK, they change depending on if you select level 1, 2 or 3. I use level 2 for all of my models.
There are also several types of mixing but the easiest one I found to use was the one labeled "boat". Select that menu and then the following options:

*TRG-BRK > NORMAL

*TILT MIXING
CH1>3: -100
CH3>1: 0
MODE: ON

That is all you need to do.

This commands channel 3 to do the opposite of whatever channel 1 is doing(Channel 1 is the steering channel). On the mr03ve electronics channel 3 doesn't appear to be used at all(I don't think it supports tikitiki) so using it is no problem.

If you then select the "SERVO" menu you can see bars that indicate the position of the steering, throttle etc. When you move the steering wheel you should see the channel 1 and 3 bar graphs moving in opposite directions.

I've driven quite a bit with this setup and its working flawlessly with the 4PK so I'm sure you'll be 100% when you made the change, no more red light flickering or loss of signal.
Old 2013.03.06, 05:38 PM   #4
trexflyer02

Great walkthrough. I did this on my old 4PK about 4 months ago, and on my new 4PKSR just a couple weeks ago.

One thing I will add - if you want a removable setup, servo plugs will push right onto the pins under the RF board in the radio.

Also of note: interesting that only 3 wires are required. The walkthrough I followed (also on this forum somewhere) showed 4 wires and I have done two radios like this just fine.
trexflyer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.06, 06:07 PM   #5
TheSteve
VE7FM

The 4th wire is there for legacy purposes, in the past it indicated that a module was present in the radio(back when Futaba had socketed modules). The radio generally had an indicator to tell you if you were transmitting or not. The wire was always optional on ground based Futaba gear and now that there is no expectation of a module with the 4PK series its not required at all(but shouldn't hurt anything if connected).
Old 2013.03.06, 07:44 PM   #6
trexflyer02

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
The 4th wire is there for legacy purposes, in the past it indicated that a module was present in the radio(back when Futaba had socketed modules). The radio generally had an indicator to tell you if you were transmitting or not. The wire was always optional on ground based Futaba gear and now that there is no expectation of a module with the 4PK series its not required at all(but shouldn't hurt anything if connected).
Good to know, thanks for the info.
Old 2013.03.23, 11:31 AM   #7
Gonzo007

Just spent the morning installing a ASF into my new 4pkS. Steve did the install in my old radio, and I am glad I did this one. Great How to Steve. Works like a charm. Keep the howto coming.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.25, 04:17 AM   #8
rcmichie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trexflyer02 View Post
Great walkthrough. I did this on my old 4PK about 4 months ago, and on my new 4PKSR just a couple weeks ago.

One thing I will add - if you want a removable setup, servo plugs will push right onto the pins under the RF board in the radio.

Also of note: interesting that only 3 wires are required. The walkthrough I followed (also on this forum somewhere) showed 4 wires and I have done two radios like this just fine.
Just to make sure in order not to waste money (I just want 1 TX for both my 1/10 scale RCs AND for my Mini-Zs): so it is also possible to do this mod with the RF-901sm module on the 4PKSR (I repeat the 4PKSR)??? I can find a lot of references to this mod on the 4PKS, but not the 4PKSR...

TIA
rcmichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.27, 10:36 PM   #9
trexflyer02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmichie View Post
Just to make sure in order not to waste money (I just want 1 TX for both my 1/10 scale RCs AND for my Mini-Zs): so it is also possible to do this mod with the RF-901sm module on the 4PKSR (I repeat the 4PKSR)??? I can find a lot of references to this mod on the 4PKS, but not the 4PKSR...

TIA
Yes!

I did this to my brand new 4PKSR about 3 months ago and have no regrets, it works flawlessly.
Old 2013.07.30, 06:02 PM   #10
rcmichie

Thanks trexflyer02; I'll be heading to my LHS tomorrow for the new 4PKSR then ...
Old 2013.07.30, 08:02 PM   #11
TheSteve
VE7FM

Its the best MiniZ control money can buy...
Old 2013.08.01, 07:55 AM   #12
TheStig
Addicted to RC and Racing

I won a 4PKS-R at a recent 1/8th scale race. I'm so glad someone bumped this thread Now I can control all my vehilces with one radio
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.29, 02:47 AM   #13
rcmichie

Question removable setup on 4PKSR

Quote:

I finally got my 4PKSR today, and want to start installing the RF901SM module. Since I'm very bad at soldering, I'm trying the "removable setup", but this confuses me a little bit; servo plugs only have 3 wires/pins, but the connections on the 4PKSR RF board are on pins 1,2 & 4 (starting from the right); so how can you push a servo plug right onto the pins?
best regards
Old 2013.08.31, 02:40 AM   #14
trexflyer02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmichie View Post
I finally got my 4PKSR today, and want to start installing the RF901SM module. Since I'm very bad at soldering, I'm trying the "removable setup", but this confuses me a little bit; servo plugs only have 3 wires/pins, but the connections on the 4PKSR RF board are on pins 1,2 & 4 (starting from the right); so how can you push a servo plug right onto the pins?
best regards
I used two plugs right next to eachother, and there are some open slots.
Old 2013.09.01, 03:24 PM   #15
rcmichie

Quote:
I used two plugs right next to eachother, and there are some open slots.
Thanks,

I've tried this also, but my fitting with servo-plug wasn't very snug; so I soldered the cable anyway.