Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Tracks and GTGs > SIDEWINDERZ, Frankfort IL

Old 2010.09.21, 11:10 AM   #1
SIDEWINDERZ
SIDEWINDERZ RACE DIRECTOR

Arrow SIDEWINDERZ -High Performance Micro Racing, Frankfort IL (chicago southwest suburbs)

SIDEWINDERZ is the Premier Race Management Organization for Radio Controlled Car competition.

Currently we specialize in smaller scale racing such as 1/24th, 1/28th, and 1/18th, with a focus on expanding the interest and growth in the sport of R/C Car Racing to a new audience.

Initial investment and overall maintenance costs for these scales is typically less expensive then their larger counterparts,, but provide the same thrill and competitive racing experience at a much more economical opportunity for new participants and seasoned racers struggling to support their hobby.

SIDEWINDERZ is planning on running the new Losi 1/24 Short Course Trucks, Rally Cars and 1/28 Mini-Z’s in Frankfort, IL starting in October of 2010.

We will be running on the RCP style track complete with jumps, obstacles, etc. similar to an off road/rally course for the Rally cars and Trucks and traditional RCP for the 1/28th cars.
It would be a competition size track relative to the scale approx 40ft x 30 ft. with full AMB scoring.

Tentative schedule would be about 2 Sunday's a month to start out with and potential for growth if appropriate.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in High Performance Micro Racing at the largest and fastest Micro Track in the Chicagoland area please spread the word and contact me to let me know.
The more feedback and interest the better prepared we can be to provide a great race experience as this is pretty uncharted waters in the area.

We have been privately racing Mini-Z’s with a small group for several years, and competitively racing other scales for close to 20.We are seasoned racers that know what Micro Racing has to offer comparatively and are excited to bring it to a mainstream market on a track that will provide the highest level racing and fun with professional scoring that can rival other larger scales.

Thanks in advance, and look forward to your feedback.

Last edited by SIDEWINDERZ; 2010.09.21 at 11:12 AM.
SIDEWINDERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.21, 10:13 PM   #2
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDEWINDERZ View Post
The more feedback and interest the better prepared we can be to provide a great race experience as this is pretty uncharted waters in the area.

Don't forget about us! I've been eager to meet more mini-z fans in the Chicagoland area. Chicago Mini R/C has been running Mini-z events for about 6 months now. I wouldn't say it's uncharted, but I would say it's awesome we have more fans in the area. Right now the club is focusing on HFAY which is a 2 "wide-l" series. We've done some 30+ ft layouts when we've completed our HFAY runs. We Looking forward to December's HFAY Big track event.

Did you ever run in the HFAY series or have plans to?

I hear you on expanding on a new audience. Big Squid did a recent article on what we are trying to accomplish. Trying to get as many new folks, young kids, and veteran racers sick of the current racing scene into the joy of racing mini-z and R/C cars in general.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.22, 04:04 AM   #3
SIDEWINDERZ

We haven't ran the HFAY but have put together similar track layouts in my basement that combined 2-3 wide L's along with a some other msc. pieces before.
Mini-Z's are not new to us at all but there just hasn't been a big interest for them yet in Chicagoland.We have actually been running them more privately for several years to keep our chops up for the bigger scales.

Even though you have been running for 6 months I still consider it uncharted because that isn't enough time yet be proven as a viable and sustaining market. Our primary focus is also very different. You are more focused on rentals where as we are expecting racers to have or purchase their own cars, so that puts a bigger commitment on them to do it.The 1/24 scale Losi cars are also completely new too.

I think it can all be great but only time will tell. We have actually been looking for the right facility for over a year or so. It took time because we didn't want to compromise in order to give it the best opportunity we can.It's encouraging to know other people are interested enough to make an effort, but ya just never know.Keeping our fingers crossed though!

Interesting article....
I think it's great to get new people involved and that is our goal too, but I really have to disagree about the part in the article that is kind of dismissing the ROAR Nationals as almost being a waste of time. I honestly think it's a bit disrespectful to overlook the quality of drivers in a National Event. Competition is part of the fun,and greatness should not be looked down upon or simply dismissed. The passion, hard work and dedication these drivers put into there craft is huge and why they place where they do. It's no different then many of the drivers here that compete in Mini-Z events.Several have multiple National and World Titles.They win or place high consistently because they are consistently better drivers and deserve it.
I've been a racer for years and have competed at the highest levels, and a big part of the fun was (and still is) the challenge to get better,not only as a driver but in setting up your car, motors, etc. That's what this hobby is all about, and when you have the opportunity to see the best of the best put it all together, and have at it, I think it's awesome and should not be taken for granted.
Old 2010.09.22, 09:26 AM   #4
ChiMiniRc

Yes, our primary focus is different. I wanted to make sure people could participate, even if they don’t own a car. To clarify, we don’t do rentals and we have many racers that bring their own cars. I just wanted to make sure everyone had a chance without having to make that initial investment. It’s a club and the club has cars and the dues cover access to everything. . I’m a big fan on working on cars too and for those in the club who like to tune, they not only work on their own cars but on the club cars too.

The effort is worth it! No need to keep your fingers crossed either. If you do it right, it’ll succeed. Just to make sure, I think a field trip is going to be in order for our club to visit your venue

Regarding the article. Big Squid’s primary focus isn’t on the professional racing scene. I do like their perspective though on how they feel the racing scene is failing the hobbyist. We both know it is important to introduce new blood into the hobby. Is the ROAR event worth completely dismissing? No. Does it bring in new blood? Debatable. I like that Big Squid is willing to have that debate.

I agree that part of the fun is continuing to get better and that is why we participate in How Fast Are You. That way the club members can not only compete against each other, but also against clubs worldwide. Do I wish the HFAY layouts where bigger? Sure. Do I hope our clubs can eventually have a point series? You bet .
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.02, 07:34 PM   #5
I-Lap

Dates?

Do you have any planned race dates yet?

I have been running in Berkeley, where it is generally every other Sunday. Non-conflicting days starting out would help.

In case you didn't see it, there is a Mini-Z grand opening at HobbyTown in Orland Park on Oct 9th.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35136

-Craig

Last edited by I-Lap; 2010.10.02 at 07:43 PM.
I-Lap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.03, 11:41 AM   #6
SIDEWINDERZ

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Lap View Post
Do you have any planned race dates yet?

I have been running in Berkeley, where it is generally every other Sunday. Non-conflicting days starting out would help.

In case you didn't see it, there is a Mini-Z grand opening at HobbyTown in Orland Park on Oct 9th.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35136

-Craig

Thanks for the interest Craig!

Yes, I'm excited to announce we have some dates.

October 17th
November 7th
November 21st
December 5th
December 19th

I appreciate the feedback. We are certainly making an effort not to conflict with the Berkley club. I think most of the dates are ok. Initially I thought they were running on Saturdays,and because I've been so focused on the start--up of our track I never gave it a 2nd thought to check into it.
I just met Greg on Saturday at HobbyTown in Orland Park,to drop off promo flyers. I am planning stop by the Mini-Z Promo event and hope to see you there. We are only about 10 minutes from the shop and I have been doing business with HobbyTown for years. Steve is a great guy and we want him to be successful with this as well.Yes it's in our best interest of course, but also because he is investing a lot into this as well. I commend Greg for his efforts as he was the one that initiated the support for the Mini-Z's at the shop and though we may have some different philosophies on our approach with the tracks, we certainly have the same goal in mind -GET THIS CLASS GROWING, and also help Steve sell some cars.

We've been running Mini-Z's for several years, and have been in the planning stages for about 12-16 months to offer some organized racing for them. They are such a blast and I'm so excited that they are FINALLY getting some interest in the Chicagoland area, and we are finally getting this thing going!!
The biggest challenge was trying to find a facility that could hold a track I thought can provide Micro Racing with an impressive presentation and optimize the speed and potential this scale has to offer. Cost of course was the biggest concern (and still is). We are putting a lot of risk with new classes but I think it's can be a great opportunity if we can get enough interest.
I hope you make it out sometime, and please spread the word...

Last edited by SIDEWINDERZ; 2010.10.03 at 11:46 AM.
Old 2010.10.16, 05:48 PM   #7
SIDEWINDERZ

Race Dates:

October 17th
November 7th
November 21st
December 5th
December 19th

Just a reminder for anyone out there in Chicago's South 'burbs or Northwest Indiana area, that tomorrow is our inaugural event!!!