Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.11.21, 01:12 AM   #1
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Carolina's Cup - Race 4

Just got home. Great event. Rodney showed that he has been working hard on all three classes since the last cup race.

I would like to thank everyone that contributed into making this a great race series. I had a great time at every race. And every race had a different feeling, especially as I got to know more people and their driving/setup styles.

Missing practice Friday night showed early, and I feel that I did well considering the early setbacks. I had good setups, but could have dialed the car in a little better with some more track time. F1 I got a dud motor, swapped it out for a better one, but I still lacked a lot of low end power in every gear ratio that I tried. I ended up trying to push the car too hard to keep my speed up and not get into the lower revs where the motor had no power. Ideally I needed to try a gear ratio that was inbetween the two that I tried. 9/46 48p, and 52/11 64p.

My LM car was not driven since the last Cup race, although I had taken the wheels/tires off and used them on a different car. The car came back to form pretty quickly, so it was pretty easy for me just to fine tune it with tires.

My stock GT car is still a work in progress. It is my first dedicated 70t GT car (that is not a narrow car). The F40 body worked well, and has similar handling characteristics to I am used to for 70t with the f355 body. I could have definitely used some new rear tires going into the mains. I added some vinyl over the rear window to cover the slits. I was trying to get a little more rear grip, and am not sure if it hurt instead of helping. I learned a good deal in developing the F40 body, and plan to use that for future projects.

Congrats to Rodney and MBMZR for the season wins.

I am going to try to pull and get a team together for the first race of next season. Possibly the first race of the season could be the best opportunity to add another team to the cup. Where is the first race going to be? It will be a difficult task... but I will not stop my efforts.
Old 2010.11.21, 05:04 PM   #2
kromie101

congrats to rodney,he finished strong.

had fun but it's time for some offroad.cya on the flip side.

mike 152 was way better.

jay you have pm.
kromie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.21, 07:51 PM   #3
hrdrvr
MBMZR

I will have a little more commentary when I get to a pc, but I wanted to say I had a great time! The racing was intense, and I managed some good runs in the mains despite some shortcomings in the very close qualifiers. I was a little stressed at times, but I really enjoyed the back to back races with the bumps, and those are four races that I wont forget!

In the words of mister Pick himself, it was exactly what racing at High Speed is all about, fast racing and good times with great friends!

I hope every one made it home safe! And a big thanks goes out to every one who made it happen!

LET's Go Racing!

Last edited by hrdrvr; 2010.11.21 at 07:54 PM.
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.22, 07:48 AM   #4
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

This just keeps getting better and better. I think that the two groups have learned a great deal about each other this season. As Landon said before this is not really two groups but divisions of the same larger group working to better the scale through good hard competition, comraderie and just an overall good time.

Congratulations to all that competed in the series in 2010. We were all winners.

See everybody at round 1 in 2011.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.22, 10:31 AM   #5
Daddy Rabbit

First I would like to thank James & Vicky and the young lady that works for them for all their efforts and for them letting us put them out, I am sure they would rather be doing something else on a Saturday night. A big congrats to Rodney for winning the individual trophy, you deserve the credit. As for as us elders, it was fun running with Mike and Don again, I was very down in my mind at the end of qualifiers, but had a blast in the mains. even if it was the C main and not the A main, we had just as much fun, Don & Mike you are quite the gentlemen and bring a lot to our sport, just remember OLD GUYS RULE. I look forward to seeing you at the next race.
Thanks to everyone for particapating in all the CCC races.
"Don't back up, Don't back down....Full throttle, Wide open"
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.22, 11:35 AM   #6
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I have been called a lot of things in my life but seldom a gentleman. Maybe we should start to break Don in for the Tech crew to lighten our load. I really like to Marshal but it truly hurts too much when I make the quick dive.

I want to thank Gary, Saint, Matt, and Gary Jr. for taking the time and making the effort to travel to this event and welcome them as emmisaries for their group in joining the quest for next years Carolina's Cup. With their addition we will be up to a six race schedule and even a higher level of competition. Although some weren't in attendance this trip we will find that this group has some pretty big guns and can more than handle themselves in competition. Everybody start tuning right now for the season to come.

Andy. Check your email and advise. I couldn't find the tattoo's.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2010.11.22 at 12:05 PM.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.22, 03:56 PM   #7
pedrocamp
Ain'tSoldEm

The first season of the Carolina Cup is over and I want to congratulate all who competed in and organized the events. Our first year for this inter-club championship went remarkably well, there were problems and controversies for sure but we managed to resolve them all and I think the 2011 Championship will be better in organization and competition with all that we have learned. I also think I speak for both our groups when I say thanks to Landon and Mike, the impetus behind this championship… initially a way to join two local groups, High Speed and MBMZR, in “friendly” competition. Both our groups obviously benefitted from the increased cooperation. We were proud to see interest and participation from outside our two clubs.

It is tough in both the current economy and popularity of off road racing to attract new racers to our small scale. Those that look past the perceived high entry cost will find highly competitive racing with little running cost and low maintenance time. I raced 1/10th touring car for a few years and eventually had to quit due to the rising running costs of the class and high maintenance time clashing with family responsibilities. 1/28th scale racing fits my budget/time and definitely satisfies my love of racing. I also believe small scale racing sharpens the reflexes and makes you a better driver in the larger scales. Just as many Formula 1 and Indycar drivers use karts to train, Mini Z-1/28th scale racing is a great way to improve your larger scale skills. Anyway, I hope all that raced in the 2010 Cup will want to compete again next year and also be active in their local club racing. I hope there will be an increase in participation from new racers as well as racers from larger scales. I think that is the goal of the Carolina Cup.

Thanks to Jim, Vicky and Casey of High Speed for letting us take over the place. We appreciate your continued support of our favorite scale and our championship; you provide a great home for our club! While quarters can get tight for these large events you make everyone feel welcome and stock a great selection of Mini Z kits and parts.

After being involved as a partial organizer in a couple of these events I have developed a high respect for Landon of MBMZR abilities as a race organizer. It is not easy to organize even our relatively small events, he seems to do it with ease while also competing in the event. He does though sacrifice his own race effort to make sure that even the events at High Speed go off smoothly, helps sort out the timing system, etc… while his competitors are making laps of the track during practice times…. and he still runs well! Thanks to Myssie for being our race director, she kept us on schedule and did a great job calling the races. Thanks to Chad from MB for helping with timing and scoring as well.

Thanks of course to our sponsors throughout the year! There were many, more than I can remember right now but all were sincerely appreciated. Reflex Racing in particular really supported us with awesome prizes for all four races and their contribution bolstered by the participation of Matt and EMU, two of RR’s team drivers. They are great ambassadors for the team and the scale, very approachable, knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks guys! Our local racer Jay and his company Vasquez Painting supplied some great prizes for this race… featuring a battery powered Dremel, a cool pit light and shop clock., things every racer needs for his pit and home work space! Thanks Jay! Wade stepped up with a free Mini Z paint job won by one of our Sportsman racers I believe! Thanks Wade! Thanks to PN racing everyone in existence now has a car stand! A very happy spectator walked away with a new Golf Readyset, thanks to tinyRC! We hope he starts racing with us soon. Please see our previous event threads from HS and MB and make note of our other sponsors (MantisWorx, JB, Vann&Sheridan), they are again greatly appreciated .

I most want to thank all the racers who participated. I had a great time racing with you and really look forward to next season. Not only is the racing fast and fun, it’s great to be able to do something so enjoyable with a bunch of good friends.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2010.11.22 at 06:40 PM.
pedrocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.23, 03:55 PM   #8
hrdrvr
MBMZR

First off, how did we end up with another race 4 thread? We have 3 now

I have to give out a big thanks to Jim and Vicki for letting the event take place at their fine establishment. Racing at HS is always a very personable experience, and all though at times some customers try and get in the way of the racing action, it is a very neat and different situation to race in. Every one is pitting all around the track, so its like we are all sitting together the whole time. The banter that goes on at these events is priceless, so keeping every one close makes it so every one has an equal opportunity for smack talk I love how Saint fell straight into the mix and dropped a couple of unexpected funny bombs too.

It was a pleasure to get to meet Saint, Gary Sr, and Jr. These guys were a perfect mesh to our group and could fit into the series nicely next year. We need to see if we can get these guys to stick around for some mains next time! I had some good runs with Gary Jr, and would have liked to had him in the battles in the mains.

Rodney, what can I say, you rocked it out!! I came in pretty hopeful, but you squashed my dreams pretty hard Messing with the PC I missed out on a lot of practice time (don't think I turned a single lap after the drivers meeting), and was down at the beginning of the day thinking it was costing me my shot at the title. In the end though, I couldn't have hung with you no matter how much practice/tune time I would have gotten. You really threw down the gauntlet, and you deserve the trophy for the event and the year. Congratulations!!

In GT2 I had my best qualifying run in the first round. Only 3 of us hit 27 that round, and I was sitting third. I never improved it, but it held up til the last round of qualifying when Eric bumped me to the top of the B. In the B I got to start on pole. I knew I had the car to win, but I knew there were 5 other cars capable of it too. The 8th place car in the field was less than a lap off of TQ, so the entire field was tight. I had a clean get away at the start and drove quite a few laps with James in tow, but within striking distance. On my second bobble I gave it up to James, but stayed right with him. As he and I traded positions and fended each other off, it let Wade move in on us. For a few laps in the middle of the race we had a three way battle going that was majorly intense. I'm pretty sure we all traded the lead off a few times. At one point Wade made a big mistake and let James and I by. I kept it smooth and built a little bit of a gap. Wade came back strong and as he started pressuring James for second, I got away scott free and stretched it to almost a lap lead. I ended up following them across, as they went through the gate together! In the A I started at the back. I'll tell you, this is the first time Ive won a Bump at HS, so it was my first time running a B then A back to back. It took me a few minutes to calm my nerves and get back on the drivers stand where the where 5 more capable cars waiting to try and win the race. As close as the field was, I know I had as much of a shot as any of the others. On the first lap I passed EMU and Matt on the wall, on the next two laps I passed Pedro, then Eric, also both on the wall. I found myself in second a couple of tics back to Rodney. At this point my car was good. I was feeling the groove from the B, my tires were already up to temperature (even tough we were only 3 laps in), and the field was just starting to settle in my favor. Rodney made one small mistake coming into the chicane, and let me get up to his bumper. I was holding my ground behind him trying to apply pressure without getting into the back of him. Our battle let the rest of the field quickly catch up. Coming to the hair pin at the center of the track Matt took a more aggressive line than me, and got inside. We touched, and in pan car fashion my Mosler made a slow roll over onto its roof After being marshalled I found myself in dead last again, with Rodney closer to my rear bumper than front. I knew I didn't have the pace to reel any one in, so I decided to settle into my own race, and see what could come of it form luck. I was following EMU form a couple of corners back when Pedro gave it up to both of us with a big hang up. Then as EMU approached Eric I moved in close. I don't remember what exactly happened, but next thing I knew I was in front of both of them! They battled behind me for a bit letting me build a gap. At this point I was convincing my self to keep racing conservative and hold onto third. Rodney had come around and was about to put me a lap down, and I Myssie was calling Matt down in the 8.2s and 8.1s, which I knew I had nothing for. I wanted to stay on the lead lap, but only held Rodney up for a few laps. While trying to run a more defensive line, I could see Eric then EMU coming up closer and close behind me. I let him go and settled into the groove again, but EMU was setting a blistering pace behind me. We traded positions through bobbles and mistakes a couple of times, but in the end I made two late mistakes which cost me the podium spot I ended up fourth, less than 2 clicks behind Eugene.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2010.11.23, 03:57 PM   #9
hrdrvr
MBMZR

In LMP1, I was fighting a glitching car almost all day. I went through two motors in each of the first two qualifiers trying to sort it out. In the third qualifier I ran an ATM USA motor which was slow, but didn't glitch for the third round. I hit a mid 26, which was off pace from my other two cars, and in the middle of the B. It would have put me at the front of the B, but Eric and Jay both improved their times, and finished in the same heat right in front of me. Right before the B when I put batteries in my car I had steering, but no throttle. It wasn't a good way to start things out. I re-binded and it seemed like everything was normal. Collin had some glitch problems with his, and had to drop the race, so I wasn't the only one having troubles.....With him dropping out, I started behind Eric with Jay on the other side of the grid. I had a great start on Jay, and moved into second before turn one. I cruised behind Eric for a while, but then the glitch bug got me. It hit me a couple of times early, then mellowed out. I lost a lot of ground to Eric and couldn't make it up. In the middle of the race I made a couple of mistakes while pushing, and the next thing I knew, Eric was cruising behind me. I was quick enough that he couldn't get by easily, so he just stayed right there on my bumper for the remainder of the race, while I tried to keep it clean. Eric, Chad, and I all ran the same pace a lap apart, right next to each other til the end....

F2 was what I really wanted to excel at. I wasn't doing too well in the qualifying rounds though. In each round I got to a 27 lap pace, but mistakes kept me form grabbing it. In the last round I just missed out with a 26 4:02. I was on a 27, but with a minute or so to go I plugged it in the chicane and got stuck under the extension and rail liner combo. I had a good position on the grid though, starting in the front. I made it through the infield the first lap, but made a mistake on the second, which dropped me to third. Matt and I immediately began trading positions and within moments we were trading positions with James as well. Early on, Chad was in the action too, but our pace soon left him behind. James, Matt, and I had some of the best close racing that I have ever been involved in. We traded positions between each other cleanly many times, as well as giving it up to each other a few times. in the end, Matt and I gained a little lead on James, but every time we started dicing it up he would stick is nose in the re close enough to let us know he wasn't going away quietly. Matt and I traded positions 5 or 6 times right at the end of the race. I cant wait to see the video to refresh my memory, and relive the excitement. In the end I ended up squeaking under the bridge right in front of Matt and James and pulled out an extra lap. It was pretty epic though, and the first time I have finished in front of Matt in a while. My win put up to the back of the grid in the A. On the horn, I got an awesome jump and moved in front of Jay and Pedro before the first turn. Wade and Rodney must have tangled up, because I dont remember seeing either one of them, but I found myself right behind EMU in second just two laps into the race. I didn't follow him more than a few corners before he parked it and handed over the lead. I wasn't in the lead more than a few corners before Rodney was on my bumper hounding me. I fended him off for 2 or 3 laps, but was very nervous and shaky. His car was far superior to mine, and I could tell he was having to back off to not run into me. I could also see a field of other hungry drivers moving in on us. While pushing I made a mistake and gave up some time and the lead. It was a small enough mistake that I maintained 2nd, and just tried to drive my own race. In the beginning of the race Pedro crept near me a few times with EMU and Wade close behind. Through the middle I remember Wade and EMU both challenging for my position but never for too many laps in a row. I held it together pretty well, considering I was coming off of an intense battle with James and Matt. Towards the end I made a couple of big mistakes and let EMU catch up to me. He and I traded positions back and forth, and matched each others mistakes making the trades less eventful. I got stuck under the rail coming onto the straight, and it took the marshall some time to get to me. EMU was right behind me when I plugged it, so I kind of wrote the position off. Coming into the infield on the ensuing lap I heard a big smack, and looked down to see EMU hung under a different board in the center where marshalling wasn't that easy. The marshall ran out from beside me on the drivers stand, so my vision was almost totally blocked. I went through the corner any way, and came out on the other side just in front of EMU as he was dropped back onto the track. I held him off for a few more corners until he made a mistake pushing to get by and left me a little space. He was setting a much faster pace at this point and ran me down again and pressured me into a mistake. This went back and forth until the end of the race. On the final lap he made a mistake and let me by coming into the chicane. I came through the left part of the track, and there was an accident coming onto the straight. I made it through cleanly, but noticed EMU did too. I also noticed that he was too far behind me to make any moves, so I just made sure not to take turn one too aggressively. On the approach to the bridge I let off, and then low and behold, I got my first ever F1 glitch My car took off into the far wall, and bounced back only to be facing EMU as he passed by me under the bridge My first thought was utter disappointment, but when I turned to my left I saw the biggest smile I've seen in a while. It was on EMU's face At the world finals he caught a glitch on the last lap of the A1 main that let me by for the third spot. I guess the mini-Z gods returned the favor to him this weekend, and bumped me off of P2 Even under the tense circumstance, I laughed about it immediately. I had a great run and was proud to trade positions with him as well as I did, so I couldn't be anything other than happy. I came in something like 2.5 seconds behind him if you combine the GT2 ad F2 splits

That pretty much how I felt at the end of the day. I had 5 clean runs in the mains, and aside from glitches, pretty much didn't have but a handful of unforced mistakes. I know I might have complained a little bit to a couple of y'all at various points during the day, but in the end, I would do it again this coming weekend the exact same way

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2010.11.23, 04:22 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Great write up Landon... We did have some good battles, in the CC and the PNWC. I hope we get to go at it again soon
Old 2010.11.23, 05:27 PM   #11
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

That has to be the longest post ever.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.23, 06:45 PM   #12
Traveler
of both Time and Space

No its not! Its just
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
"a little more commentary"

What amazes me is that Landon can remember all those details. The whole thing was a blur to me. Don't remember where I finished, which mains I was in, how many laps I ran, who I raced with (except for the one with Chad). Guess I'm getting old...
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.23, 08:29 PM   #13
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

you just had to remind me. im like you i hardly remember even going to hsh much less everything landon posted. i dont know how he does it. he will get to talking about a race from 2 years ago and can tell you every turn and at what time he went around each one. its insane
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.23, 08:52 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

I used to remember races in such detail, but after racing many events (traveling and home) in the last year, its hard to keep track of all of the small things. I just know that Landon and I went at it at 3 events this year... in a few different classes, and had a good battle at MHS in Pan last year.

I think I need to be reminded by the video before I really comment on all the details But I know I had quite a few unforced errors... F1 was my race to lose off the start... I had a good start, but got caught on that left sweeper after the timer a few times. I never could really get that section the way that I want. Either I turned too early, or too late (which happened more and I put myself into the boards). I dont know if it was a glitch, but it seemed to be every car, so I doubt it was. Left turns are a little more difficult for me than rights...
Old 2010.11.24, 02:58 AM   #15
ruf
4play

Must be nice! Sounds like you guys had a blast! LT has got that memory, what would you do? haha! Can't wait to race with you guys again!
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote