Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.09.04, 12:59 PM   #1
2EZ
Mini Z Driver!

Send a message via AIM to 2EZ
Angry MR02 Electrical Problem!!!!

Received My MR02 and right out of the box, there was a problem.

Others will find or experience this problem.

Explanations follows so as to help other identify avoid or fix this problem.

Out of the box batteries, were installed, they seamed to become warm before use.
Being this was the new MR02 I did not know what to expect so thought I would try running it.
I put it on the track set up my controller. I started my first run and the car seamed to have low power.
I knew the batteries were newly toped off but tried another set. Still it acted like it had only about half power. I check and tried another set. Same problem. Batteries were very hot and I thought that the new MR02 might have come with a defective board?? I made sure that the Batteries were in correct and then tried another motor, checked gear mess, and any thing else the I thought could cause the car to act as if it had no power. DAMZer tightened the screws on the back chassis uprights thinking that maybe contact was not good here. Nothing solved the problem. I then tested the batteries in a MR01 and they were weak.
Therefore, I thought that I might have mixed up my batteries and tried a set from DAMZer that he knew was toped off. MR02 still was completely functional but low on power. I decided to put it aside and get in some runs with other cars. That evening I pulled the MR02 apart to look at the different components it was now I found the problem. The problem was that the connecting tab on the positive lead going to the batteries contact plate had cut the negative wire that crosses to attach the two negative batteries contact plates. This was causing a direct short of the batteries on one side. This caused the car to have half the battery power and for the batteries to heat, up and explained why they did not act right in the MR01. Our efforts to tighten the small screw at the rear of the chassis only made the short worse. Separating the tab on the positive battery contact and the negative cross over wire enabled the MR02 to operate correctly. There is now distortion of both the rear of the chassis and the small black device that the screw goes into from the heart that developed from the short. This problem came in a factory new unit but could also develop as this tab chafes the wire or as result of someone tightening the screw during assembly or reassembly of the MR02. I hope my explanation is clear as to where the short happened. I will ask DAMZer to help me make photos to post. I know others will have this problem please add your experiences to this thread if you find this problem. I would recommend that all MR02 owners inspect there cars for this problem as it might cause additional damage if not corrected early.

The problem was that the connecting tab on the positive lead going to the batteries contact plate had cut the negative wire that crosses to attach the two negative batteries contact plates. This was causing a direct short of the batteries on one side.

Last edited by 2EZ; 2003.09.04 at 01:32 PM.
2EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.04, 05:32 PM   #2
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

2EZ, thanks for the heads up! My Enzo is working fine, however I'll pull mine apart tonight, check it out and report back. Might be able to prevent a future problem.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.04, 09:36 PM   #3
Slicks

2EZ - yes pictures would be great. Thanks for your post and please keep us posted if additional problems occur. OH - did I say PICTURES of this would be great?

thanks
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.05, 05:41 PM   #4
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

2EZ, you’re right. I found that the connecting wire was ok on my chassis, however, Kyosho could have allowed more room for everything that’s going on there. Like you said, over time, I do think the same thing could happen to me, especially if I keep driving this Enzo off my desk. I didn’t have enough time but I think I can cut the groove in the chassis deeper and allow more room so the negative terminal connecting wire can sit below the tab on the positive motor terminal, possibly preventing the problem from occurring altogether. I’ll see what I can do and let you know.
Old 2003.09.05, 08:13 PM   #5
mailboxck

Send a message via Yahoo to mailboxck
Pics would be a lot of help. I'd be getting my Enzo today if all goes well...I'll check that out first thing I get the car. Could some heat shrink tubing or electrical tape help?
Old 2003.09.08, 01:58 AM   #6
manitou
Mini-Z Novice

Similar problem

I have a similar problem as you.
My car run only when the batery are full charge.
I will go to check the wires.
Thanks
manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.07, 02:50 PM   #7
predator
Novice, since oct/03

Is this the part you guys are talking about??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp0477.jpg (37.4 KB, 47 views)
~Kyosho ball differential ~Kyosho stainless steel king ping ~Kyosho X - Speed motor ~Front tire: Gpm 30 ~Rear tire: Kyosho 20 ~RC Racing Model graphite H plate ~RC Racing Model front springs (3 pairs) ~RC Racing Model ball bearings ~Kyosho steering rods (Toe-in 0, 1, 1.5, 2).
Red Pajero Rally
~GPM titanium main gear ~RC Racing Model ball bearings

predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.08, 04:42 PM   #8
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

That’s it! On the rearward side of that piece, between the back side of those clips and the chassis. The potential problem on my chassis was on the left rear, however, it could happen on either side. Thanks for the pic's.