Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.12.11, 08:44 PM   #16
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapir View Post
Nice to have options on what kind of car you want but....
I have yet to see a carbon chassis car beeing faster than a regular well buildt MR-03.
Also the extreme guys I race with have tried and tried but always find the MR-03 much faster and consistent.

Anyone ever seen a MRX or AMZ beeing quicker around a RCP track than a 03?
It isn't really fair to say you haven't seen an mrx go faster than an 03 because you cant compare between drivers and it requires a very advanced understanding of setup and modification to get it right. Let me be clear and say that is is a very finicky car and if not properly set up the results are disastrous as i have found out. Yet the quantitate data from our local track supports the mrx being much faster. Having everyone go from running std 03 to mrx everyone saw a performance enhancement. The MRX lowers the cg and centralizes the weight because the batteries are lighter and is a million times more durable compared to a plastic chassis so unless you personally have driven it, tuned it, and understand how to make it work and put the proper time and money into it you cannot say that an 03 is faster. At Majs hobby shop in NJ everyone went from running a FULL blown 03 with double aarm and al pods with every hop up to running the mrx. You can watch the videos online and a month or two after we switched locations everyone switched and there was a noticable increase in pace. If you don't believe me you can check out the videos on youtube so that you can see an MRX outpacing a fully optioned MR-03. Currently only one person drives a std 03 and that car is about 2 seconds slower per lap than everyone else. While most of it is due to driver I personally drove his car (which is fully optioned) 1 a second slower than my personal pace.

Before:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UV5...BvFjIRRM3vTo-g

After (a race that I win, i am the green car): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMEH...vTo-g&index=22

You tell me what is faster......

PS: And in regard to rcp we have had racers from our club who aren't usual race winners go to rcp tracks and be much faster than regular 03's. If we switched to a dedicated rcp track the results would be the same as with anything, time and tuning is all that is necessary. Personally I went to an rcp and did not have a lot of success mostly due to lack of setup experience on rcp and the wrong amount of power for such a small low traction track but was still able to put down some very impressive hot laps on 35% throttle so....

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2014.12.11 at 08:49 PM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.11, 09:27 PM   #17
imxlr8ed

It's not about speed anyways in my book. More about fun.

My biggest issue with this chassis is that it is for all intents and purposes... an 03. It just has an extensive rear suspension, lipo conversion, motor mount installed to it.

Now if it is way easier to run from "baseline", and holds that tune after a bunch of track time, then I say it's a huge step up. But if I have to true and glue tires constantly and make sure every little thing is perfect with the setup more intensively than an 03... then why bother?

If I were to compare Maj's crew to most other clubs out there, the level of driver skill and technical mastery is obviously unsurpassed. And if we all had the opportunity to race there every week, we all would eventually get to that level if we are that competitive. Someone figures out a faster way and we would all follow eventually.

Our club is laid back and more about just having fun. Yeah we are competitive but there is no nuclear arms race going on just to keep up with the herd.

Each club to their own, that is what keeps it all evolving!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.11, 09:59 PM   #18
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed View Post
It's not about speed anyways in my book. More about fun.

My biggest issue with this chassis is that it is for all intents and purposes... an 03. It just has an extensive rear suspension, lipo conversion, motor mount installed to it.

Now if it is way easier to run from "baseline", and holds that tune after a bunch of track time, then I say it's a huge step up. But if I have to true and glue tires constantly and make sure every little thing is perfect with the setup more intensively than an 03... then why bother?

If I were to compare Maj's crew to most other clubs out there, the level of driver skill and technical mastery is obviously unsurpassed. And if we all had the opportunity to race there every week, we all would eventually get to that level if we are that competitive. Someone figures out a faster way and we would all follow eventually.

Our club is laid back and more about just having fun. Yeah we are competitive but there is no nuclear arms race going on just to keep up with the herd.

Each club to their own, that is what keeps it all evolving!
I agree with you every club does what they want and has their own goals and outlooks. But all I am saying is in the end it is faster and does better times with more durability. I am not arguing wether everyone should get one because like you said it is not for everyone but it isn't fair to say that an 03 is just as good. In reality the AMZ is actually better for the price it is about the same pace but 300 dollars less when you look at the total price breakdown. But with all that said the tuning and extracting every last drop of performance out of the car is most of the fun for me so gluing tires after every 10 min run and tweaking the setup is actually the fun part. So in regards to the car itself it isn't the biggest breakthrough but it gets the car one step closer to a 1/12th scale. And with the new atomic independent 2wd, the pn chassis and the new x-power chassis only time will what is the best on the track and on the wallet.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.11, 11:01 PM   #19
imxlr8ed

I have no doubt that any chassis chosen at Maj's will be pushed to it's limits. I actually was surprised that the AMZ didn't take hold there with the carpet track (no pun intended). I figured that it would've just made sense there more than anywhere else.

Looking forward to more innovation to come!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2014.12.12, 05:05 PM   #20
ianc

Quote:
But all I am saying is in the end it is faster and does better times with more durability.
Looks like a nice car. If only it weren't so stupidly, absurdly expensive...

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.12, 07:49 PM   #21
ruf993
majsrc.com

Man I hear my name alot over here... hehehe

In the end if anyone who wants to put in the time to prefect there skills in the miniZ racing. They can make a wooden brick on 4 wheels be the next best thing just as long all there race buddies feel the same.

"I race toy cars every Friday night with my family racers win or lose we all have fun"
Team MHS Driver #01
ruf993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.13, 12:15 AM   #22
imxlr8ed

Yep, but I have to point out that you are actually running little high speed carbon fiber chassis'd rockets as opposed to little plastic toy cars lately.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2014.12.13, 01:19 AM   #23
machgo5go
DJ Eddie!

Quote:
Yep, but I have to point out that you are actually running little high speed carbon fiber chassis'd rockets as opposed to little plastic toy cars lately.

Actually tonight we ran two classes of our usual high speed carbon fiber chassis'd rockets AND little plastic toy cars in slower pace of PN50T/9 Pinion with Nimh batteries that was just back down to basic to have fun!
MR-03 S2K Narrow AT60T Nihm
MR-03 BRZ Narrow PN70T Nihm
MR-03 Enzo Ferrari GT Concept Xspeed SP2012
MR-03VE 2005 NSXGT AT 12000KV w/Lipo
MR-02 Nissan R390 GT Lemans 39T PN
AMZ Benz TC 8500KV
X Power IDT Ultra 5600KV Audi
X Power IMT Ultra 6800KV M3
MB-010 FT86 Comic Racer 39T PN
MF-015 Mclaren MP4-25 50T w/Lipo PN
MR-01 Mugen NSX-GT 02 X Speed Retired
dNaNo FX-101MM T2 XANAVI NISMO GT-R

MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " A Place To Escape from Reality"! TD
214 State St. Suite 209
Hackensack, NJ 07601. 201-820-1347
LIVE Mini-Z RACING EVERY Fri at 7 PM.
Outdoor Saturday On Road Racing 1/8GTVE,1/10TC&USGT

DG DESIGNS

Last edited by machgo5go; 2014.12.13 at 01:23 AM.
machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.13, 11:29 PM   #24
ruf993
majsrc.com

Thumbs up

Quote:
What are you trying to point out. What dose a CF chassis has to do with going fast. Where was the cry for the love of plastics when people where putting $100+ alum A-arm front suspension that made a game changer in the miniZ racing.

In the end CF or not it is still fun little toy cars that people like to do for fun with there racing buddy's. ...
Team MHS Driver #01
Old 2014.12.14, 05:38 AM   #25
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf993 View Post
What are you trying to point out. What dose a CF chassis has to do with going fast. Where was the cry for the love of plastics when people where putting $100+ alum A-arm front suspension that made a game changer in the miniZ racing.

In the end CF or not it is still fun little toy cars that people like to do for fun with there racing buddy's. ...
To me, it's just too much to spend on an individual car. It goes from a hobby to a big investment real fast. But that is always what happens in any sport or hobby... the go big or go home mentality gets ingrained into it and eventually it seems to be more like a chore after a while.

Basically...
I am just floored by the amount of crew you have and they are all that well invested into it that they all run the configurations they do! Probably the only club in the States at that level!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2014.12.14, 07:47 AM   #26
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf993 View Post
The point is not about"the love of plastic"so much as its pointing out that your arms race for the fastest chassis has got you believing that you need to spend close to$700 to be competitive. It's great that you're having fun racing with your buddies but in my view I could race miniz and 1/10th and still have money left over to take the wife out to dinner after racing.

Ed and I just want to point that out for people reading this that think they absolutely "need to keep up with The Jones'" When the reality is that spending a fortune isn't needed.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.14, 12:53 PM   #27
tommy_greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
The point is not about"the love of plastic"so much as its pointing out that your arms race for the fastest chassis has got you believing that you need to spend close to$700 to be competitive. It's great that you're having fun racing with your buddies but in my view I could race miniz and 1/10th and still have money left over to take the wife out to dinner after racing.

Ed and I just want to point that out for people reading this that think they absolutely "need to keep up with The Jones'" When the reality is that spending a fortune isn't needed.
wow I gotta tell you.no way in heck I didn't spend no $700 on new car.I bought the XPower kit.which is $180.00. already had a front end.and rear motor pod. And a MR-03 board.the only difference between the stock setup and the MRX setup is lipo batterys.7.4

don't get me wrong I'm all into running a class that's about having fun.I have raced all type of race cars in my life.from H.O., 1/ 12 scale. go karts,open wheel midgets ,NASCAR asphalt modified,to racing a late model stock car.and I can tell you you're always going to put money in your car no matter what.thats why its called a hobby.
all these vendors are making new cars out there and products.and as us hobby fan where can always buy those parts.

I'll be honest with all you guys stop bashing the sport.we just need to support mini-z racing. To get new people in or the sport will die !!!

Last edited by mleemor60; 2014.12.14 at 05:24 PM.
tommy_greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.14, 02:27 PM   #28
Slubben
Practice Is For Wimps

Gentlemen please remember that we are racing "toys" and that each person takes something different away from the hobby. Some people are happy with running the basics while others like to push the envelope. In my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions, it's the people who push the envelope who advance the sport and grow the sport and everyone should should be happy about this. If you are looking for a scape goat to blame for the recent lack of love for "plastic racing" blame Kyosho America (they have basically made it diffcult for people who have been racing Zs for years to continue unless you go VE) unless of course there is an underlying issue going on here that isn't really related to the racing per say and is a more personal nature
PBR Racing Team Driver #1

Don't Make Me Cut You!

I Was Born With The God Given Ability To Be Mediocre

MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP
Mini-Z RACING EVERY Fri at 7 PM.
Slubben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.14, 02:44 PM   #29
ruf993
majsrc.com

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post

I think you guys are missing the point. I do agree miniZ racing has come to almost or close to big 1/10 scale cost. But CF chassis was not the start of that. I believe it's the lipos are what bring the cf chassis movement. Before you guys start ranting on lipos being the cost guzzler. Let me enlighten you guys. Now this is base on what I've seen in the past 7 years racing at my shop. The fast guys are fast cause they are always looking to make there cars go faster. When AAAs was in the mix guys who wanted to keep up with the jones was spending $500-$800 on chargers,matchers,discharges,& high end AAAs. Then would be buying few sets of new AAA every other month just to keep them fresh. Now with lipos I have $50 lipo changer 2-3 sets up lipo batt at $18 each and $170 cf chassi just for fitment convince. I know there is a thread about the AAA madness around here so let's not try to reinvent it. The OP was just trying to show just a few of his xpower cars.
Team MHS Driver #01
Old 2014.12.14, 02:51 PM   #30
ruf993
majsrc.com

Talking

Quote:

Basically...
I am just floored by the amount of crew you have and they are all that well invested into it that they all run the configurations they do! Probably the only club in the States at that level!
Hmmm! Thanks for the complement !?!?
Team MHS Driver #01