Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.05.26, 03:44 AM   #1
eztuner12
Do you want to go fasst??

About tweak and how to perfect balance your 4wd suspension.

A tweaked car is an unbalanced car that has the propensity to pull to one side during acceleration or braking, it will affect the turning performance to your car as well.

Tweak is coused thru an uneven wheel load on one particular corner (axle) of the car.

In line to tweak your car, you first have to disconnect the front & rear s-bar, if using them.

Do this procedure on a flat surface; a glass tabletop would be perfect.

Checking for tweak from the front end:

First, lift and drop the front end of the car in line to let the front suspension to settle-down. Place a sharp tools, a tip of a xacto hobby knife is perfect, on the front middle point of the chassis and lift the front end straight up. If one of the front wheels lifts before the other, the rear of the car is tweaked. Adjust the spring preload if SAS or add shims if regular suspension to the rear suspension wheel across the front tire that lifted first until both front wheels lift together at once. For example, if the front right wheel lifts earlier than you have to work on the rear left suspension spring preload.
On SAS you have to decrease the rear suspension right spring preload too, in rank to not change the rear driving camber.

IF you are using a rear S-bar, connect it and check for tweak again, if one tire lifts earlier then the S-bar is tweaked. In the case of Mini-zs S-bar, you must place the bar on top of the flat glass tabletop and make sure the S-bar is absolutely flat, if not , hold both tip ends of the S-bar and twist it and test it on the flat surface until it is totally flat. Place the S-bar on the rear and test again, until both front wheels lift at the same time. As soon you accomplish this, then the rear-end is balanced.

In line to balance the front- end suspension you have to repeat the same procedure as balancing the rear-end. In this occasion, lifting the rear- end until both rear wheels lifts at the same time. As soon, you accomplish that both rear wheels lifts at the same time, then the front-end suspension is balanced.

Always use brand new tires, all around the four corners (axles) of the car.

Cheers
eztuner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.26, 04:06 AM   #2
eztuner12

This is the tweak thread stevenh
Hope it aids
Cheers
Old 2009.05.26, 04:36 AM   #3
-J-

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Good idea start another thread, the other one was becoming quite off topic. This will also be a good guide for others struggling with tracking/handling issues.

Did your tests and my chassis seems good to go, as I thought it was, but just wanted to double check. Thanks for the writeup Eztuner12.

Last edited by -J-; 2009.05.26 at 04:41 AM.
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.08, 08:03 PM   #4
eztuner12

Yep. Hope it helps some with suspension tweak issues.
Cheers
Old 2009.06.08, 08:11 PM   #5
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Nice write-up man. The only thing I notice on my MA is uneven turning radius due to unbalanced weight on the sides, but that has nothing to do with the suspension as far as I can see.
Old 2009.06.08, 11:11 PM   #6
eztuner12

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Nice write-up man. The only thing I notice on my MA is uneven turning radius due to unbalanced weight on the sides, but that has nothing to do with the suspension as far as I can see.
Tweak is coused by an "uneven wheel load" on one particular axle or corner of your car.
Did you got it?
Cheers

Last edited by eztuner12; 2009.06.08 at 11:13 PM.
Old 2009.06.08, 11:47 PM   #7
-J-

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Skv012a,

Does this only happen at speed? If it happens going really slow, as well as at speed, it's not balance. It's something else; diffs, tweak, etc.

Eztuner12,

Though you're right about tweak, an unbalanced car causes uneven wheel load in turns and therefore a differing steering radius from one side to the other. Hard to differentiate the two.
Old 2011.04.15, 03:56 PM   #8
thestug

Unhappy

Is there any way someone could post a picture/video of this process? I jsut read it and its not exactly clear to me how to do it. My AWD seems to have the pulling to one side under acceleration problem.
thestug is offline   Reply With Quote