Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.03.01, 12:51 PM   #1
Mr. Furious

GPM Radial Tire Review

GPM Radial Tire Review:

I received my GPM Radial Tires with foam inserts today and threw them on the truck. Before I did that I thought I would answer my own question from an earlier post and see if the GPM foams were usable in the stock Kyosho tires. The answer is: Yes. The foams fit but are a bit tight due to the GPM tires having a larger internal volume than the stock Kyosho meats. The reason for this is that they tried to keep the external diameters of the radials the same as the stock tires. Because of the low profile treads, they had to leave more space inside the tire. The difference is small but the best way I can describe how they fit is to say that the GPM foams are SOFT in the GPM tires and HARD in the stock Kyosho tires. They make the stock tires flat to slightly convex at the center where the stock tires without foams are a little concave at the center. I did not drive with the GPM foams in the stock tires yet as I was excited to run with the GPM radials on all 4 wheels.

My truck was set up with bearings all around, an x-speed motor and is otherwise stock. I use 700mah NIMH rechargeable batteries. I have oil shocks but put the stock shocks on for the review to get a first impression with the stock dampers that most folks run.

First impression: These things have grip! Are they worth it? Absolutely. Especially if you are someone who plays around the house on a variety of surfaces. The truck handles so precisely that it has oversteer out the wazzoo now. It turns on a dime on low pile shag carpet on power or off power and if you cut power as you enter the turn on carpet, the back end will swing around instantly and bring the truck 180 degrees right now. I was constantly surprised when I cut power entering a turn and the truck was heading back my way instantly. I had it on 2 wheels while rounding a corner on carpet. The stock tires always seemed to push and try to go straight with on power turning and the x-speed made that worse. With the GPM’s mounted the truck still pushes a little at full throttle in the corner but the tires grip enough to get it around the corner decently with some hopping and chopping on the front end. I think the oil shocks will make a world of difference in that regard. Wheelies on linoleum? Yup, every time with just a touch to reverse and then punch it. It will stand up and ride the wheelie all day. I only drove it with stock shocks and it definitely took bumps harder and bottomed out the shocks easily with the GPM's mounted. I'll put my oil shocks on and try again.

My overall impression of these tires is very good although they do have one flaw that I noticed: The tires aren’t terribly true. When you spin the wheel in the air you can see the lumps and feel the vibration. This may settle down once I drive on them a little, so I’ll have to watch it. It did not seem to make a huge impact on the great handling but to someone who races Monsters it may be a big deal. These tires are definitely worth the price tag because it seems the foams are useable in the stock tires also. That gives you two for the price of one and makes them a good value in my book.

I hope this review was of some use to you. Follow this link for some pics:

http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/MrFurious
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.01, 12:59 PM   #2
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Just one question, are these lighter or heavyer than the stock tires? Or are they about the same?
Old 2004.03.01, 01:37 PM   #3
mini-z
Administrator

Thanks for the Review! FYI we've got these on order, s/b in soon, they look nice!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.01, 01:41 PM   #4
Mr. Furious

Without the foam they are slightly lighter. With the foam installed they are exactly the same as stock tires with no foam.
Old 2004.03.01, 04:08 PM   #5
bithed
Retired Super Hero

Send a message via MSN to bithed Send a message via Yahoo to bithed
...Nice one mr. furious !!! Shame i missed the window to BEAT you to the punch but never mind A REALLY pissed off wife makes the BEST of plans go astray She wasnt really interested in the rolling resistance of the new feet...I will add some comments when i have removed her foot from my bum and i can sit down again
Old 2004.03.01, 04:57 PM   #6
Mr. Furious

BITHED: I was surprised I didn't see your review already here when I logged on to post mine. I feel your pain. The only reason I got to play at all was that my better half was working and I was playing Mr. Mom today. My daughter loves to chase my Monster around so I considered it quality time Family life is not for the weak, that's for sure.

An additonal note to the review: I finished up the last half of the batteries I used for the initial review after I installed the oil shocks. The handling was definitely better, the hopping front wheels on high speed turns was reduced considerably and the Monster soaked up uneven bits much much better. Still wheelies great on unprepared kitchen floors and once the oil shocks were on it was popping wheelies with almost flat batteries. It does seem like it still takes jumps harder and hops around easier than before but that may be due to the foams in the new tires more than anything else. I never used the Kyosho foams in my stock tires so I have no basis for comparison. Next set of batteries will be with the stock tires and GPM foams.
Old 2004.03.01, 10:37 PM   #7
Mr. Furious

Foams, Foams, Foams...............

Well I spent a set of batteries goofing with foams tonight. I put the stock tires back on using the foams and the speed increased by a lot more than I thought it would. There's a lot less rolling resistance with the foams in. Still way too much understeer with on power turning on carpet. On linoleum though it seemed like the stiffer sidewalls helped it turn a bit better off power but it plowed pretty straight on power. The stock tires still won't wheelie on the lino.

I tried to run the GPM's without any foams and it was pretty laughable. They are so squishy that the rolling resistance is like driving through mud. If you turn too sharply you can almost see the tires trying to roll right off the bead and that leads to twitchiness and choppiness through the turn. I would think that the GPM radials with no foams would be nice for some rock crawling. There are no lugs on these tires but they would definitely conform to whatever surface you were on to give you maximum tread surface area where it was needed.

I still like the GPM's with the foams in but don't try to turn too quickly with oil shocks and an x-speed or you'll wind up on your lid. Too much sideways grip without the super squishy stock dampers equals a quick trip to upside-down land.
Old 2004.03.02, 10:50 PM   #8
bithed
Retired Super Hero

...up and running !!!

1: Bad fit ? Irregular cut ?? NO WAY !! Wriggle your tires from the OUTSIDE IN to settle your foams and make them UNBUNCHED

2: GREAT amount of road contact...ZERO sideways movement when pushed on a sideways surface...

3: STICKY will pick up hair and fluff at 100 paces

4: Turn on a dime...Say turn right and its already there...

5: Oil shox ? No worries...soft red spring on the front and medium green on the rear...Baby rolls with the rythym and doesnt fall over...'Weebles wobble but they dont fall down !! SING IT WITH ME !!

6: FAST !! Take off is nice cos of your footprint and the free rolling is fantastic @ power off

FINAL ANSWER: BUY THESE from MINI-Zracer.com...you will love them and your monster will shine !! Its almost a totally different machine: for the better !!
Old 2004.03.03, 10:02 PM   #9
jude26

So.....Are the GPM Radials great for running around the house and the stock kyosho are better for outdoor?
jude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.03, 10:19 PM   #10
bithed
Retired Super Hero

...Thats what i would think Jude

...The V Trek is good outside whereas the Radial wouldnt be much good at all...Im sure it would run and all but the V Trek makes more sense...

...In REGARD to that...

...I used my V Treks outside and they have been eternally 'dusty' ever since...Short of cleaning them with water I think they always will be...and as i personally use my monster indoors i never really liked the crud on them...Call me anal...

...the GPMs are quite sticky and pick up 'stuff' from around the house...scary what gathers under tables

...BOTH sets of wheels benefit every now and then of a quick squirt of window cleaner...makes them a bit sticker and gives them a bit more life...I recommend you apply directly and spread around with your hand...DONT use a tissue cos you will be picking bits of it off for ever !!

...The GPMs are SOFT enough that the tread actually MOVES with your surface so you get the inside / walls of the tread keeping you stuck to the ground...prettty impressive really...

...I wonder at the functionality of the 'grooved' tires on the bay at the moment...They might be great but the radials would beat them in the grip department...

...I WOULD like to see a 'pimply' tire with dots and spots or spikes all over...I think that would be one of the best tires for the monster...
Old 2004.03.03, 10:34 PM   #11
jude26

I usually use some compressed air to clean the tires.
jude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.04, 04:19 PM   #12
BDCris
Mini-Z Novice

Where can I pick up a set of those tires and a full set of bearings for my mini monster?
BDCris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.04, 04:37 PM   #13
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

BDCris, the Mini-ZRacer.com shop, here at these forums, should have their Dry Racing Bearings for the Monster as well as the GPM Radials in stock soon, according to Mini-Z.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.27, 11:48 PM   #14
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the original GPM radials for the monster, the fuzzy ones with foam inserts? All that seem to be available are the GPM 30 degree LUGS.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.28, 05:27 AM   #15
Mr. Furious

They're gone, man. All bought up in the initial sales from what I can see. Or else the lugs aren't selling and the HK dealers are holding onto the radials to pressure folks to buy up the overstocked lugs. GPM has been kinda sketchy on getting stuff out in a timely manner lately. That's why there's been a lot of holes in the stock at the shop here. He reported that GPM dropped off the earth around the beginning of the year and he had a ton of trouble making contact or getting solid delivery dates for stuff. I haven't been around here much lately so I don't know if it's better yet or not. Keep your eye on the mzr shop, I'm sure he'll have a bunch of what everybody wants soon