Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.01.18, 12:46 PM   #16
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
While I've been told this as well, the last KT-18 I've owned had a significantly stronger signal with a 7.2V Li-ion replacing the stock 4.8V setup. My Eurus gets drowned out much less now after I replaced the 9.6V pack with an 11.1V LiPo. I can't explain that, so I'm going on my empirical data.
Heh, I am afraid its just your imagination. Old school 27, 72 and 75 Mhz radios generally had more output with voltage though.

And yes, to answer other posts, the radio is ugly.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.18, 07:45 PM   #17
KO PROPO Staff

To each his own on the way the Tx looks.

Voltage does not make a difference as the max output for FHSS is 100mW and as stated 3-3.3V is the operating voltage for a 2.4GHz chip set. 100mW is a FCC regulation for max output.

Most likely there will be a separate main unit for Mini-Z as the module components are different. The FHSS will not work with the Mini-Z bike as Kyosho used a different vendor for this system.

PC interface will be most likely for downloading/changing/saving data. No updates or changing modulation. Nomadio did offer that with their system and where are they now?
KO PROPO Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.18, 07:56 PM   #18
oXYnary

Quote:
Most likely there will be a separate main unit for Mini-Z as the module components are different. The FHSS will not work with the Mini-Z bike as Kyosho used a different vendor for this system.
THAT I did not know! Hmmm... Now Im wondering the quality of the moto if KO is out of the picture.

Quote:
PC interface will be most likely for downloading/changing/saving data. No updates or changing modulation. Nomadio did offer that with their system and where are they now?
Making radios for the US military at the tax payers expense because it pays better. No wait, NOW it seems they have moved unto mobile networking. I guess they go where da money is.

Really though, Nomadio showed that modulation COULD be changed without modules for 2.4 radios. Anything else, is just a way for a manufacturer to get more money for "upgrades".
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.13, 08:51 AM   #19
Chicken Little
El Pollo Loco

So what's the word about being able to use this also for the mini-z application? It would be a big disappointment to the community if it's the otherwise.

A bunch of plastic toy RC cars
A bunch of batteries
A bunch of motors
A bunch of tires
A bunch of tools
BB Tuning (stage 2)

Team S.O.L. Racing (now accepting applications)
Requirements: dismal qualifier performance, low main position, 1 POS mini-z.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.13, 11:37 AM   #20
KO PROPO Staff

KO Japan is working on a separate "Main Unit" for mini-Z that will have only functions for the mini-Z. This we will probably not see until the end of the year.
Old 2012.03.13, 04:41 PM   #21
oXYnary

Super, so basically you have to have a separate radio just for Mini-Z. The main module has the cpu and screen and thats the most expensive part (and uneeded if they had engineered the system to take be firmware 2.4 switchable or at least take additional modules) So you have to buy two $500 radios versus one for all classes.

KO really shot themselves in the foot.
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.13, 04:58 PM   #22
KO PROPO Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Super, so basically you have to have a separate radio just for Mini-Z. The main module has the cpu and screen and thats the most expensive part (and uneeded if they had engineered the system to take be firmware 2.4 switchable or at least take additional modules) So you have to buy two $500 radios versus one for all classes.

KO really shot themselves in the foot.
Having two modules in the main unit was not possible, as I have told you before they are different modules.

The main unit for mini-Z will be sold separately or as a complete transmitter set.
Old 2012.03.13, 09:09 PM   #23
Chicken Little
El Pollo Loco

My plan was to buy this radio if conversion for Mini-z was possible, but by what's been said so far, it's gonna be a very expensive option to have if I also wanted to use it for other application non mini-z related. Not really an option to splurge on in this economy. Just another reason for the waining interest in Mini-Z racing.

A bunch of plastic toy RC cars
A bunch of batteries
A bunch of motors
A bunch of tires
A bunch of tools
BB Tuning (stage 2)

Team S.O.L. Racing (now accepting applications)
Requirements: dismal qualifier performance, low main position, 1 POS mini-z.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.14, 02:28 AM   #24
Felix2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO PROPO Staff View Post
KO Japan is working on a separate "Main Unit" for mini-Z that will have only functions for the mini-Z. This we will probably not see until the end of the year.
1st let me say -
I like KO PROPO Tx’s. I have a Helios and an EX-1UR. I am driving the EX1-UR more lately so I skipped the Eurus instead I figured on waiting for the post-Erus Tx.

Dear KO PROPO - Please, why is Mini-Z an afterthought? I am exclusively running Kyosho Mini-Z Scale right now. Mini-Z is not waning in my opinion; Just the opposite - Mini-Z has never been as big. With All the KO Propo Professional Tx’s we Mini-Z guys purchase, why do we not get to have the best stuff you guys(KO) have to offer when it is available for 1/10/etc scales? I like this EX-1 KIY very much but it really bums me out to have you guys put what seems to be half-effort for us Mini-Z scale drivers.
Im looking forward to buying an EX-1 KIY for Mini-Z when it becomes available Awesome Tx
Old 2012.03.14, 09:27 AM   #25
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
Radios are meant to be more functional then attractive. The cars we race can be as attractive as we want them to be, but I'm not not as concerned about the appearance of the radio as I am about it's usability, and comfort level.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.14, 12:47 PM   #26
KO PROPO Staff

Guys, 80% of the functions in the EX-1 KIY would not be used for mini-Z and seemed a waste. They are working on a "dumbed" down version for the mini-z.

As for feeling like we have not focused on the mini-z you are correct. We have to look at the grand total in units sold and the mini-z market is big, but not as big as the 1/10 & 1/8 market and that is where we had to focus first.

Please be patient and the result will be worth the wait.
Old 2012.03.14, 01:44 PM   #27
egonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO PROPO Staff View Post
Guys, 80% of the functions in the EX-1 KIY would not be used for mini-Z and seemed a waste. They are working on a "dumbed" down version for the mini-z.

As for feeling like we have not focused on the mini-z you are correct. We have to look at the grand total in units sold and the mini-z market is big, but not as big as the 1/10 & 1/8 market and that is where we had to focus first.

Please be patient and the result will be worth the wait.
Does the lack of function have anything to do with the current boards? In theory, if you make the radio and the board, shouldn’t the function compatibility between the two be a little higher than 20%. This might require a new board??? Will we be losing functionality by going to this radio? What functions are you talking about specifically? I totally understand that you need to prioritize resources to build/design radios that are going to sell in the masses. I also appreciate that you build/design radios that work with the MiniZ community. No other manufacture has done this and that’s why I only run KO.

THE PLACE FOR EVERYTHING RC

www.majsrc.com

Friday Night Mini-z Racing 7PM

<<< Team Driver for MHS / R1Wurks / DG DESIGNS >>>
egonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.14, 04:29 PM   #28
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I too have found KO radios to be the best radio for Mini-Z. I currently own 2 Helios radios, and have been thinking about getting a Eurus, but want to see if what comes to market will be better suited for Mini-Z. I have over 30 cars, and use a seperate model memory for each one. Having the data card helps transfer my settings from one radio to another. Especially if someone is borrowing a car and has a Helios, I can just give him my settings and he can just drive instead of having to adjust the radio for an hour...

Having a feature to transfer this data can be VERY useful in our community, where racers tend to lend/share cars MUCH more often than larger scales. Perhaps even a function to export settings to a computer, so you can email them to a racer across the country... Or you can store your settings if you ever need to reset your radio/send it in for repair.

I would also like a little more control of the throttle linearity, more points to adjust. I sometimes have to use punch with curve and throttle trim to get it to feel right. A display graph would be nice for this...

If the radio will be specific to Mini-Z, I think that it will be necessary to include a drag brake adjustment. This should have been included on the bios of the ASF boards, but it was decided to include Virtual Inertia instead, which everyone that I know disables.

All ASF boards should be able to work with increased drag brake provided by the radio with small adjustment in programming, if you release to neutral, it should be able to apply as much brake as you set, if you double tap brake, it switches to reverse. We are currently using throttle trim to do this, and it is really a pain as the window for adjustment is rather small before reverse is lost.

Last edited by EMU; 2012.03.14 at 04:32 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.14, 07:49 PM   #29
Felix2010

KO PROPO Staff - Thank you for the reply, and I apologize if my first MSG sounded harsh, I meant it sincerely and simply-put. I appreciate your understanding.

I like your radios and really like the EX-1 KIY style. I fully intend to by one when they are available

The only other thing is, you said we Mini-Z drivers would only use 20% of the KIY functionlity; And then another member asked why only 20% when KO makes the boards for Mini-Z and the Tx’s? Is this a little bit strange when you stop and think about it for a second?

I would say most Mini-Z drivers use more than 20% than the functionality of their high-end Ko Radios for Mini-Z racing. It would be great to have more Mini-Z tailored functionality to the EX1 KIY if KO is doing a "dumbed-down” version.
Old 2012.03.14, 10:05 PM   #30
KO PROPO Staff

Guys the EX-1 KIY is a 4 channel system. There is 2-way, 3-way, 5-way, analog, 4WS mix, AMP mix and throttle mix for the 3rd and 4th channel. These would never be used for mini-z. This is what I was getting at.

They are working on a main unit that will be tailored to the mini-z and functions that can be used with it.

EMU- Drag Brake has been available on the EX-10 Eurus. Graphs are displayed on the EX-1 KIY and there is a PC interface to download/upload your settings.