Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.01.10, 01:31 PM   #16
DMALMAD

You guys keep saying switching to lipo costs more. it takes either a few sets of those lion sets from PN and one of those 40$ lipo/nimh aaa chargers. Or you buy a pn 2.5 chassis some of the cheap 500 mah little blue 1s batteries ( I think guys at my club were buying them for what amounted to less than 5 dollars a pair) and a 10 dollar HobbyKing charger. Either way you only need 3-5 sets of batteries, a cheap charger and maybe switch your chassis but tbh you could dremel your chassis a little and not even need a different chassis. All in all it would take 15-30 min of work and under 50 dollars for the average hobbyist.

I really don't see how that is difficult or expensive considering how much time goes into matching nimhs and the cost of nimh batteries to begin with. I am not just making this up, nor am I trying to beat a dead horse, but clearly NIMH batteries are more time intensive and expensive at a competitive level.... even if that is at a club level.

DMR MPC 1/27th Aftermarket Pan Chassis
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 01:44 PM   #17
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Dude! You are posting in the wrong thread! If there isn't one out there already on the pros and cons of NiMH vs. Lipo, maybe you should start one. I'm not interested in switching my MR-03s to Lipo, I'm trying to find out my options in NiMH before buying some fresh cells, but you continue to want to take the conversation elsewhere. Enough!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 01:55 PM   #18
Traveler
of both Time and Space

I found some unopened TRP 900s at home, so I will see if they are still good. Looks like they were purchased in July of 2014! If not, I will give the new PN constant power CP888 a try!

Thanks to those that responded on topic!
Old 2017.01.10, 03:15 PM   #19
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
You guys keep saying switching to lipo costs more. it takes either a few sets of those lion sets from PN and one of those 40$ lipo/nimh aaa chargers. Or you buy a pn 2.5 chassis some of the cheap 500 mah little blue 1s batteries ( I think guys at my club were buying them for what amounted to less than 5 dollars a pair) and a 10 dollar HobbyKing charger. Either way you only need 3-5 sets of batteries, a cheap charger and maybe switch your chassis but tbh you could dremel your chassis a little and not even need a different chassis. All in all it would take 15-30 min of work and under 50 dollars for the average hobbyist.

I really don't see how that is difficult or expensive considering how much time goes into matching nimhs and the cost of nimh batteries to begin with. I am not just making this up, nor am I trying to beat a dead horse, but clearly NIMH batteries are more time intensive and expensive at a competitive level.... even if that is at a club level.
I don't want to cut up my chassis or modify it. I don't want to rewire my chassis. I don't want the PN special chassis. I just want to buy batteries and go play. What say you to that...

Lipo is great and several of us have agreed. However, Mini-Z and most competitive Mini-Z racing is geared for AAA NiMH cells.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 05:00 PM   #20
DMALMAD

I was just trying to help... i wasnt trying to get all the aaa fanboys riled up but some things always get taken the wrong way.... sorry

Old 2017.01.10, 05:11 PM   #21
DMALMAD

And btw, the best nimhs usually have little to with the company or brand. All that matters is the mah and when they were manufactured. So buy the cheapest ones that have the right mah for your application and that were produced the most recently (odviously batteries like trp and r1 have better qc than the really cheap options so dont go too cheap).

Old 2017.01.10, 05:14 PM   #22
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
I was just trying to help... i wasnt trying to get all the aaa fanboys riled up but some things always get taken the wrong way.... sorry
Is it helpful to sell someone oranges when they've asked for apples?

It seems you've got a lot of experience running Lipo successfully. I'll bet this forum and the community at large would benefit and enjoy a good detailed write-up of how to convert a Mini-Z to Lipo. I'd certainly be interested in something like that!

However, I think what myself and others are trying to explain to you is that this is not the right place to get on a soap box. This thread is about NiMH batteries.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 05:52 PM   #23
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
very well put, great info, great enthusiasm, misplaced thread
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 06:06 PM   #24
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
It's not necessarily what is said, but how it is said that produces a negative response.

Much like in the statement quoted, calling people that use AAA fanboys... Is not appropriate. You do realize, that 95% of the scale uses AAA NIMH cells. So, stating that they are fanboys is not applicable. The regulations that govern their racing do not give the option for alternate cells.

The club that you race, is an oddball club, that has no restrictions. The majority use a much more stringent rule set, where many things are restricted and regulated. Comparisons between the two are vast. One, if you can think it, and find it, you can do it. The other, you have to examine the rules and see whether it is permitted, or not. I prefer the latter myself. Especially the niche classes like f1 and LM or 90mm narrow which have the most limitations in their regulations.

AAA cells are on discussion here, while I feel that Lipo is a better and easier technology to use for racing... It is not applicable for this discussion. Until Lipo becomes the standard, many clubs will not adopt it. By becoming the standard, a major manufacturer like Kyosho needs to implement it. The increase in aftermarket chassis that are Lipo powered, and brushless technology will help push the move to Lipo. But, until then, AAA NIMH will remain the standard power source.

Last edited by EMU; 2017.01.10 at 06:09 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 09:48 PM   #25
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
It's not necessarily what is said, but how it is said that produces a negative response.

Much like in the statement quoted, calling people that use AAA fanboys... Is not appropriate. You do realize, that 95% of the scale uses AAA NIMH cells. So, stating that they are fanboys is not applicable. The regulations that govern their racing do not give the option for alternate cells.

The club that you race, is an oddball club, that has no restrictions. The majority use a much more stringent rule set, where many things are restricted and regulated. Comparisons between the two are vast. One, if you can think it, and find it, you can do it. The other, you have to examine the rules and see whether it is permitted, or not. I prefer the latter myself. Especially the niche classes like f1 and LM or 90mm narrow which have the most limitations in their regulations.

AAA cells are on discussion here, while I feel that Lipo is a better and easier technology to use for racing... It is not applicable for this discussion. Until Lipo becomes the standard, many clubs will not adopt it. By becoming the standard, a major manufacturer like Kyosho needs to implement it. The increase in aftermarket chassis that are Lipo powered, and brushless technology will help push the move to Lipo. But, until then, AAA NIMH will remain the standard power source.
Hate to break it to you but 1/28 mini-z racing is dying and has been dying for a while and no most don't use nimh. Aside from the handful of US clubs, most clubs internationally race 4wd and mod classes that allow for lipo and custom chassis in addition to the standard PN classes. Just look at the popularity of GLA, BZ, MRX, PN 2.5, 3d printed chassis, etc

But if you feel that I was being inappropriate thats on you. I wasn't condescending or rude... maybe a little tounge and cheek, but nothing I said was trying to specifically call anyone out but thats okay I just tried to share an opinion and because it doesn't coalesce with the general sentiments of a few I am being rude...

I shouldn't have shared my opinion here and thats true. Open and honest discussion I guess now needs to be reserved for open and honest spaces...
I really don't feel like arguing anymore so all I am gonna say is MY MISTAKE, SORRY.

Old 2017.01.10, 11:28 PM   #26
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Traveler, please update us with how these old stock cells perform after sitting for so long.

Last edited by EMU; 2017.01.11 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Not relevant to topic
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.11, 01:11 AM   #27
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Uh.... hey guys.... for me nimh.... r1990s then trp747
2016 pnwc was the last time I ran gtmod on nimh
For 2017 I will be using the PN Racing Lithium AAA for both PanCar and GtMod
Can't please everybody.... just my self.... hahahaha
Glad to still be racing toy cars.....
See u @ the 2017 PNWC!

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.11, 06:44 AM   #28
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
DMALMAD, again, it's not the content nor your desire to share that is the issue, it's simply proselytizing in an unrelated thread. Same issue as doing the same for mod AWD within a HFAY discussion thread. Please start an appropriate thread and i'm happy to move these posts so that they are more appropriately attuned to the topic/subject of discussion. If no, i'll move them when more convenient to do so. emoticons also help convey tongue and cheek in written forums. otherwise, it can and often does come across as just rude. need to add a bit of context as this isn't always interpreted as meant in written form. god know's i've done it enough myself.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.11, 07:49 AM   #29
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasuji View Post
Uh.... hey guys.... for me nimh.... r1990s then trp747
Thanks Grant!
Old 2017.01.11, 10:39 AM   #30
refsiul22

Marka batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-HH View Post
I run TRP 747 and Marka cells.
I've read good reviews on Marka cells. Really interested in trying them, but haven't found any website/store that have them in North America. If you know one, please share.

I currently use Peak 900 and R1 990 with decent results
refsiul22 is offline   Reply With Quote