Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.09.30, 10:03 AM   #1
gun5h311

mini 96

Just received the Mini 96 track few days ago. After playing around for a few days. Its a good buy. But I did a lot of research on these forums before purchasing but no one pointed out a few minor details I wanted to let others know before making a purchase.

For 199 you can buy a L track with 50cm tiles or Mini 96 with 30cm tiles. From my experience You can't run full speed on the Mini 96 and turns are too narrow. I am using two MR-02 cars and They can turn really well but only if you are going 1/2 or less throttle. Oh if you have an I wavers/ Xmods forget about racing them on the mini 96. My Xmod can't make one turn on the Mini 96.

Any owners with the L or wide Oval, can you Run the car close to 80%-full throttle and make the turns?

Where Can i purchase blanks or off -road sets? I don't see them on the shop.
gun5h311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 10:15 AM   #2
GX9901

I noticed pretty much the same thing with my Mini 96. After driving on it for a while, I figured out how to tail slide into turns with my Iwaver and MR-02 cars (not possible with the XMod, as I found out after purchasing one this week). However, I wished for a wider track and emailed RCP Tracks about them. They said they can sell me the lane expansion tiles direct. You should email them about buying the tiles.
I really like the RCP track and can't wait to get my expansion tiles.
GX9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 10:52 AM   #3
TNB
Pet Human

It also helps if you toe-in the cars or at least it made it easier for me.
Old 2004.09.30, 10:59 AM   #4
gun5h311

GX9901,
How does you Iwaver run on the track?

TNB,
The MR-02 are stock..
My xmod has every upgrade.. I can't turn to save a life. the funny part is that its worth much as a MR-01...
Old 2004.09.30, 11:32 AM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun5h311
GX9901,
...My xmod has every upgrade.. I can't turn to save a life. the funny part is that its worth much as a MR-01...
and everyone thought we were wrong for posting this tid bit when they first came out i learned this as well when i first got mine as i'm sure everyone with an xmod and mini-z has. i'm sure there are professionals that can tweak some actual performance out of their xmods but for the vast majority, they are not track raceable, atleast not when you have mini-z's
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 11:46 AM   #6
gun5h311

Arch2B,
Does the MR-01 run ok on the Mini 96? Or am I better off just buying MR-02s?
Old 2004.09.30, 11:55 AM   #7
arch2b

an mr-01 has a slightly tighter turning radius than an mr-02 actually. since they are the same size basically, any 1:24/28 rc will run on the track so long as the steering raduis is small enough to allow you to amke the corners. so far the only ones i've found hard to drive were the xmods and f1's. xmods have a crappy turning radius and the f1's are long wheelbase. the overlands and monster's can be hard as well but then again, you can just run up and over the rails of a mini track at will.
Old 2004.09.30, 11:59 AM   #8
TNB
Pet Human

That's why I toed in my F1s. My other Zs are not toed-in though and the Xmod simply can't turn worth a darn without electircal modification from my understanding.
Old 2004.09.30, 12:06 PM   #9
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

question on Toe In? Will having toe in increase the possibility of traction rolling or lessen it?

The early bird gets the worm, But it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!
PAULANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 12:10 PM   #10
arch2b

it was my impression that toe in was for better straightaway performance while toe out was for tighter turning?
Old 2004.09.30, 12:33 PM   #11
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
Ok, i'm going to get back to the origional question and not the turning radius of the xmods.

I don't have the Mini-96 (yet) but on my Wide Lane RCP tracks even with a stock MR-01 or MR-02 there is no way that you can keep the throttle at 100% around the whole track. Not with my skill, I have to let off the gas (err, throttle) at key points. From what i'm told the 96 will very much refine your driving skill and it seems to me that I try very hard to keep a racing line that is more narrow than that track anyway. I think that after some more racing you will get fast and corner much better.
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 01:28 PM   #12
TNB
Pet Human

Kyosho makes a red F1 tie–rod set. If I recall correctly, they are numbered –2, -4, & -6. In my opinion, on a technical track or something like the Mini-Tile, they help the F1 corner much better though it will tend to wonder more on long straights.

http://www.kyosho.com/cars/kyoc8202a-2.jpg

As far as taking on an entire track on full throttle, the only time I have ever been able to do that whether it is the Mini-Tile or the standard 50cm tile is when my batteries are almost dead.
Old 2004.09.30, 01:39 PM   #13
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
get in any 1:1 scale car, and try to go full throttle around any average track never slowing down... you wont make the first turn .
Old 2004.09.30, 08:58 PM   #14
MattPaintballer
Shopping Cart Drifter

Location: I have a home? You people need to tell me about these things I don't know!
Send a message via AIM to MattPaintballer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB
It also helps if you toe-in the cars or at least it made it easier for me.
Umm, don't mean to be stupid or anything, but what do you mean by toe-in? And how do you do it?

"I have an idea. An idea so big my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin, Family Guy
MattPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 09:36 PM   #15
TNB
Pet Human

The F1 toe-rod set changes the angle of the tires. A bad example, but:

\---/ or | | or /----\
/---\ or | | or \----/

The toe effects the way the RC handles on the straights or in the turns. And Kyosho has an option set of 3 toe-rods with varrying degrees that can be changed out so the car can handle a little better in the turns, giving up some in the straights. Give and take.