Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.19, 11:25 AM   #1
RobinZ

Arrow Motors torque and power charts

Hi all,

I made some graphs from the data Atomicmods provides with the 130 motors they offer on their website. Top graph is Torque, lower graph is Power.

Interesting to see how they actually perform. From this bunch Stock R Evo is the top performer. It puts out an enormous amount of torque from low speed to full speed but especially in the midrange it is tremendously strong. Although the Z2 runs higher revs, when geared well the stock R evo will beat the Z2 on acceleration...(if you get al the power to the track)

(I hope Atomicmods wouldn't mind that I've used their data. If so, please let me know, I will remove it immidiately.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130size_Emotors.jpg (186.1 KB, 69 views)

My Gallery

Last edited by RobinZ; 2008.09.22 at 07:17 AM.
RobinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.19, 12:04 PM   #2
DJ Kyosho
The Undertaker

Great job on the graph, this should help people in choosing a motor. I've run the stock R motor and it is pretty fast just like the graph shows.
DJ Kyosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.19, 01:10 PM   #3
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Nice charts The only motor that I kind of disagree with how it is shown is the box stock motor. It should have more RPM than that. I know that I pass cars with the same gearing using Speedy 05s on the straight... There should be more top end than the charts show. They lack tourque, not speed...

I know you collected this data from another source... Maybe they tested before it was broken in.
Old 2008.03.19, 02:33 PM   #4
RobinZ

thx!
it is important to test under the same conditions for the matter of a good reproducibility and comparability. What I was thinking of what could be the case is they tested the motors under load; all the motors do not run the specified speed. The data I saw suggests they test the motor climbing from zero to full speed at full throttle lasting about 6 to 7 seconds. This could indicate some acceleration of inertia attached to the motor or so. This is the way motorcycle dynos work.

My Gallery
Old 2008.03.22, 12:39 AM   #5
CristianTabush

I did all this data testing at AM while I was still there. There is no disagreement here. Each graph was the average of 5 of each kind of motor. It was a project that took me about a month long to complete. All the data was collected using a Fantom Facts machine converted to work with 130 size motors. These tests were all under load, at 5 volts. The majority of motor testers out there use some sort of RPM reader and a simple power supply to test the amp draw of the motors. These tests that I performed, I believe are the only true indicators outside of a car that will give you accurate readings to compare every motor to each other under equal conditions.

Now, inside of a car, the story might be different. But these tests should provide the most accurate and standardized version of comparison between the different types and brands of motors.

The motor you failed to plot was the Atomic Stock, which is so impressive. It makes the most torque out of all motors creating the second most amount of power.

But remember torque is nothing without RPMs and vice versa. What you are looking for is power (the watts a motor puts out) this is equal to RPMs x torque and is the only indicator of how fast a motor can be inside a car.

Lastly, EMU, a stock motor has 70 turns, a speedy05 52. Motors with more winds will ALWAYS make more torque and less RPMs. The difference is the motor can. If you put a stock motor in a speedy 05 can, it should make MUCH more torque and MUCH less RPMs. This is simply physics, More winds= more wire= more magnetism= more torque. The reason why you are passing people with "faster" motors down the straightaway is simply because you are a better driver. Coming onto the straightaway you are simply carrying more speed, therefore have to accelerate less to get to your top speed vs the other people. Used to happen to me back in my 1/10th scale days, I'd pass 19 turn motors with my stock motor all the time so much that they though I was cheating. Stock racing is all about momentum, and those who can get to master it will seem like they have much faster motors, especially down the straightaway since their cars never really slow down.
http://www.reflexracing net

Last edited by CristianTabush; 2008.03.22 at 12:51 AM.
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.22, 03:17 AM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

The Atomic Stock is one hell of a motor. My local track doesnt permit them for stock class. We dont run modified anymore either so I cant use it in that if I wanted... That was my favorite motor for a while. I would love to run it in my 2.4 or Ad car I would love to see what the chart would be for an X-Speed armature in an Atomic BB can with Neo Magnets, or even the Speedy 05.

Thank you for clarifying the test methodology and consistancy of testing. I do not second guess that the data is inaccurate. It just looks so much lower than the others in RPM. It was hard to believe, since my stock motor 015 cars are comparably as fast as the Speedy 05 and 07 cars during practice. Towards the end of the straight.

As you mentioned, the numbers may be different to how a motor actually feels in a car. When you say it was tested with load, how much load are you talking about? Just an amount of mass attached to the shaft?

The straight at my track is long enough that the motors top out with a 9t pinion a little less than half way down it. I dont rely on my motors for my setups, I have the fastest 'slow' cars in the field. I make all my time up on the infields with corner speed. On many of my MR02s I am still running old Speedy 05 motors. Last saturday I switched out for a Speedy 07bb since I didnt want to give an easy passing opportunity now that 2.4s are running in the stock class, and we had a big field. I dont think I am a great driver, but I am above average. I ended up finishing A4 in a field of about 30 drivers, running my AM car stock fets. Many were driving the new 2.4 or Ad as well. Sai Tam won using Ad, followed close by Roland. I was one and a half laps down right behind Philly123, who is the current leader in the points series, and allways runs at the top at the local track. The Speedy 05 didnt have as much top end as the Speedy 07, although I liked it a little better on the infield (our track has low rear bite, but strong front bite). I was running 94mm MM F40, which I feel has more rear stability than the C5R that I had been using for quite a while. I was able to run 10d PN front tires instead of 15d PN that I had been using with the C5R. I cant get the Lexus SC430 to hook up at all there. Rear is too squirmy. Maybe in an RM config it would work alright.

Thanks for the research Christian, it is greatly appreciated.

RobinZ, dank u voor de graf. Het is vrij goed. (I am very limited in my Dutch, hope my spelling is correct)

Last edited by EMU; 2008.03.22 at 03:28 AM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.23, 04:50 AM   #7
RobinZ

So I have to put the Atomic Stock in the graph asap...

Hey, EMU, every bit of Dutch is great already. The spelling is fine with exception of 'graf' which actually means 'grave' , 'grafiek' is the word. But thanks anyhow!

Cristian, it would be interesting to know what kind of load and how many load you applied, etc..

thx,
Robin

My Gallery
Old 2008.03.23, 11:38 AM   #8
CristianTabush

It was a flywheel, but I do not recall the weight. I am really bad at approximating weight, so I can't say. The flywheel was custom made to approximate the motors' load inside cars.
Old 2008.03.23, 02:31 PM   #9
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

I would like to see how the atomic standard compares to these motors or the atomic ADband motor or the PN ADband motor.
TheRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.23, 09:32 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
I would like to see how the atomic standard compares to these motors or the atomic ADband motor or the PN ADband motor.
I agree. I would like to see the Standard compared to X-Speed and Speedy 05/07.
Old 2008.03.24, 10:41 AM   #11
CristianTabush

I don't remember if I tested it or not. I believe I did. It is somewhere in between the land of the x-speed and the rest of the stuff (slightly better than the x-speed).
Old 2008.03.24, 04:25 PM   #12
RobinZ

I just added some interesting motors...
Now it became engine spec spaghetti
Evo still going strong
Saber and Xeric from PN look good too
Atomic standard is near x-speed, both on the bottom of the ranking (but still above stock )

My Gallery

Last edited by RobinZ; 2008.09.01 at 02:24 PM.
Old 2008.03.24, 04:45 PM   #13
RobinZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
It was a flywheel, but I do not recall the weight. The flywheel was custom made to approximate the motors' load inside cars.
A flywheel makes sense in the case of comparing motors only. Matching the exact load an engine experiences in a Mini-z as a function of speed would be hard to accomplish. But an approximation of the load is fine for not being way of the normal running conditions.

So it was the load which caused the Kyosho Stock to run out of breath

Thx for the nice test results!

My Gallery
Old 2009.05.13, 11:16 PM   #14
ZicZicZoom
Mini Z Driver

Chilie

the funny thing is the Chilie is the fastest motor on the graph and the graph really does not show it.
Old 2009.05.13, 11:35 PM   #15
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Its torque and power vs engine RPMs, not car speed. The way I see it, Chili looks to be one of the most balanced going right through the middle of the graph. So its not too weak/fast nor is it powerful/slow. As soon as I build an air break-in stand I'll be sure to break in mine and try it out ona track if my MR can handle Speedy AWD at the very least.