Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.08.15, 02:10 PM   #1
MantisMMA
tire schredder

Mantis Tri-link front suspension

i have been working on this system for a while now and it has gone from CAD to reality! granted this is basically just a mock up as i have discovered that working with links is very difficult. it is the same type of system as the MR03 but the kit allows for caster adjustment along with the static 1 degree of camber. i am still playing with the roll center geometry. for now it uses the stock knuckles (Which are very sloppy) and the stock MR02 kingpins. it is going to be a pricey unit, it will come with an entire carbon subplate that takes place of the barge board and i think i am going to make some accurate tie rods that will be included with the kit.

Marcus Williams
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.15, 03:44 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Looking good
Old 2010.08.15, 04:48 PM   #3
J-Milz

Looks good! Now I see why you had me on hold. . Any hopes of making a longer suspension arm setup for a AWD based on the current suspension systems out now?
Old 2010.08.15, 05:18 PM   #4
MantisMMA
tire schredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Milz View Post
Looks good! Now I see why you had me on hold. . Any hopes of making a longer suspension arm setup for a AWD based on the current suspension systems out now?

that would be a huge and expensive venture mainly because of the parts involved and not much demand for it, look how expensive the DWS is and that is with PN having the ability to make it cheap! if i made that it would be at least double the amount! probably be better off making and entire car!

Marcus Williams
Old 2010.08.15, 06:54 PM   #5
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Marcus, looks impressive so far....

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.16, 01:12 PM   #6
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

F1 parts are looking very impressive Marcus. Keep them coming

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.20, 06:27 PM   #7
MantisMMA
tire schredder

OK guys and gals the front end is complete and i am VERY proud of the results! car is ultra smooth and precise, front of the car is lower for F1 type CG!! And it just looks awesome (of course i am biased!)! The "MultiFlex" feature is incredible and makes very noticeable difference. Pre orders will be available over the weekend and unfortunately i will be limited by the amount of hiems i can get a hold of so dont wait too long to order! Well here is a pic of it and a link to the website for better explanation and close-ups.

http://www.Mantisworx.com

Marcus Williams
Old 2010.08.20, 06:33 PM   #8
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Wow!
That looks fantastic!

If I only could convince the guys to some F1 action.

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.20, 06:40 PM   #9
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
my biggest concern, how durable is this?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.20, 06:56 PM   #10
MantisMMA
tire schredder

i have been driving it around for two days and nothing has happened yet. the bottom arms are very solid and mounted very low, they are not gonna break in any situation (on RCP!) The front links are minimally exposed. i dont foresee too many breakages issues. The heim joints will never break as they will pop off before they break. All of the parts are interchangeable and will be available to purchase if needed. It is F1 and we are trying to go fast! every week i race 10th scale and they break everything all of the time, i have spent more money on my Cyclone in a month than i have in years on mini-z!

Marcus Williams
Old 2010.08.20, 06:58 PM   #11
MantisMMA
tire schredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
Wow!
That looks fantastic!

If I only could convince the guys to some F1 action.
You need to set one up to get the ball rolling! once they see that they are just as fast as the rest of the cars, they will buy one! F1 has had such a bad rap over the years and most of those problems have been resolved.

Marcus Williams
Old 2010.08.20, 09:16 PM   #12
arch2b

understood but if the choice is between going fast and continually replacing parts and moderately fast sticking with the stock parts, i'll stick with stock parts. i'm not mat, i'm not in contention for anything but fun and got out of awd due to it being a money pit. i won't put my f1 into that same position.

that being said, it does look very impressive! i do look forward to seeing this in person at some point, possibly at the als charity race.
Old 2010.08.20, 10:10 PM   #13
MantisMMA
tire schredder

dont assume that you will be continously replacing parts. i dont design things to break easily and i dont believe anything will break, the heim joints will pop out before anything breaks, this is why i use the joints instead of designing a solid A arm. i have been engineering my entire adult life, this is not my first rodeo!! no with that being said i am sure if you drive off of a table or run into the kitchen wall you may have issues but all of my products are designed for racing and as long as you are on RCP your not gonna have any problems.

Marcus Williams
Old 2010.08.21, 01:41 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I would much rather buy and replace a small arm link than a chassis when there is front end damage. The unit is modular, and mount to the bottom of the chassis where the barge board would mount. I dont have one, yet, but judging by the pictures on MantisWorx.com, it looks like it would be durable, and the fact that the arms are not adjustable, makes them stronger. Behind the MantisWorx front bumper, the front end is well covered, so there will be very little damage on a front end collision. I had been using the stock knuckles and tie rod on one of my F1's for a while without any damage. The Kyosho stock bumper leaves a lot of room for the wheel edge to clip the rails, and thats where most damage occurs.

I think it will be a robust system, and am first on the preorder list. (That is if Matt didn't beat me to it).

Click for full size:

Seeing parts like this for the F1 chassis almost makes me want to cry. Im so happy Many thought the F1 was on the verge of extinction, I think these parts have made a huge increase in the competitiveness of the class. It has closed the gap between the the racers. Setup is much more like a standard 2wd than the complicated F1 that is in the past.

Last edited by EMU; 2010.08.21 at 01:52 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.21, 02:44 PM   #15
arch2b

i think my comments may have been taken too far, i mearly asked the question and responded. mantis addressed the question more than enough to satisfy my initial concerns.

my follow up was in response to this particular bit
Quote:
It is F1 and we are trying to go fast! every week i race 10th scale and they break everything all of the time, i have spent more money on my Cyclone in a month than i have in years on mini-z!
again, to which mantis addressed the question more than enough to satisfy my concerns.

if there is any lingering doubt, i'm happy with the design and responses provided. again, i look forward to seeing this in person